Upgrade Syndrome?

Legend has it that Henry Kaiser built his empire on the premise, “Find a need and fill it.” My husband says my mantra is, “Find a fill and need it.”

2 Likes

Both are correct.

1 Like

I believe the Oxo salad spinner was my first experience with Oxo. I actually used to use it as a vegetable cleaner. I would fill it with water and put the vegetables in there and spun my vegetables like washing machine to my clothing. Ha. Of course, then I would also use it to also spin out the water. So it works as a washer and a dryer for my vegetables. For some reasons, I don’t do that anymore.

2 Likes

Hi RobinJoy,

Chem and I were points of departure to your OP, and I’m clearly the outlier. I take a minimalist perspective that never would have led me to a whole series of indulgences–like four fillet knives–without rethinking what my cooking was all about.

My extensive batterie of ECI seems to contradict all of that. I have about 25 of all sizes–mostly Staub and Le Creuset–when it would make more sense to have no more than three or four

except

My ECI are a combination of cookware and serving ware

and

My commitments to cooking style have broadened considerably over the years from one pot meals.

and

Covid 19 has radically reduced my outside projects.

An indulgence for me would be an artist inspired Le Creuset pot or kitchen knife that I’d display but wouldn’t use. I came closest to that with my birchwood knife, but so far every knife and every piece of cookware i have has been used in my kitchen doing practical work. None of my ECI are just there for aesthetics–though every one of them helps raise my spirits when I step into the kitchen.

Ray

BTW, a clear indulgence for me and my ECI is the animal knobs I’ve piurchased and placed on both my Staub and Le Creuset dutch ovens. Home cooking is my hobby and some times I purchase something–just because. . . . . .

Ray

1 Like

It looks staged to me.

No guy is that ignorant.
Everyone knows Tesla is 100% electric.

1 Like

I suppose that is another possibility.

At the risk of repeating myself Ray I don’t want or need multiple filleting knives in my kitchen (which would indeed be an indulgence). Only one good one. The previous not-so-good occupiers of that slot are redundant, were mistaken purchases, and I will never use them again. They’re somewhere in my house, and anyone who can get here in southern UK can have them with my blessing.

Also I’m not just spraying $ abut willy-nilly. This has been a 40 year process.

2 Likes

Hi RobinJoy,

I’ve got a morgue for knives like that. . .

Ray

I’m pretty thrifty really. These are the chefs/chef’s style knives in my kitchen. Not one stands me in at over $30. The most used are the bottom pair of 6 inchers, about $10 each 25 years ago.

2 Likes

You should get an electric filet knife.

Ha ha ha.

2 Likes

Hi RobinJoy,

Definitely practical, no frills.

My “foundation” knives–a Sir Lawrence butcher and a Seki Magoroku nakiri were very inexpensive 30 years ago (the butcher can still be had for less than $10)–and they’re both in my new red container–occasionally used. Their initial low cost has kept upgrade costs down to earth.

Ray

Yes, that yes too. And for dried beans. It’s not that water would matter, it just drains the dirt away more efficiently that a colander.

The large Nogent chef’s knife is truly cool. You were very fortunate to have acquired it before they got scarce and prices spiked.

Hi Chem,

I used to “clean” bluegill, sunfish, perch, and other panfish like that with the $9 Chicago cutlery fillet knife that I still have in my baterie.

Ray

Hi RobinJoy,

This is not so far away from my “foundation” pair of knives except one of them was the Kai Seki Magoroku given to me when I was in Japan. That eventually changed everything for me–since it sent me on the path of Japanesep-American cultural fusion that’s led me all the way to my Fuji birthday knife:

I agree with OldMan Tim there. The large Nogent is pretty cool.
12" I guess ?
Is it a chef or an abbatre (much thicker spine)?
The handle of the smaller Nogent has an atypical shape. Is it plastic?

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Best to know how to use what you have practically without thinking, within the bounds of safety of course.

If you’re interested in food, then travel and also buy the best ingredients you can lay hands on.

Instead of buying a new $500 knife or countertop appliance, eat out some place decent. Buy some wine. Don’t throw it away on expensive gewgaws.

1 Like

Why clean in quotes?
That’s what we called it since I was 3 or so.
Is there another term you prefer?

1 Like