Updates and running commentary from our critters

My humans came home from the store with what appeared to be the fixings for beef stroganoff. I was super jazzed. Then they went out to dinner. They gave me a can of Science Diet with bunny ears (two pieces of crackers sticking out of the canned sludge) and left. We did not even have drinks and SNACKS before dinner. They didn’t even leave the radio on. I was bummed.

20 Likes

Your post reminds me of an old Chowhound contributor, jfood, who wrote every post as though he was the family’s dog.

I’ve heard nothing in the last couple of weeks from our critter, Mr Rat. The last was “hmm, that black box is new. Looks interesting. And it’s got a tunnel that I’m going to explore…hey those pellets look really tasty. I’m going to eat them all.”

12 Likes

My neighbor called me up a few days ago, she had just put up her Christmas tree and her young cat (who was a small kitten during the summer) chewed through the Christmas Lights wires. Luckily the lights were unplugged when he chewed through them. I went over and repaired the wires. My neighbor is looking for some type of “cat deterrent” spray to put on some towels (around the base of the tree) to keep the young cat away from the tree.

(let me see if I can write this as her cat)

Hi everyone… Mommy went out and left me with just one other cat friend to play with. The other cat here is much older and he doesn’t like to play with me… not much energy. Although I have plenty of toys, Mommy put up this interesting fixture in the living room. I think she called it a “Christmas Tree”. It looks like fun to climb in and play with. There are balls hanging to bash around and it looks so inviting. It also has these “blinky” things she calls lights. The stringy things between the lights look really tasty, so I think I’ll chew on one…

Oh no… Mommy is really mad that I did that. I’ll hide under this towel until it all blows over. She just called the neighbor man to come over and fix it. Wow that didn’t take long, he is done already. I know what to do now, I’ll jump in his lap and purrr, no way for Mommy to stay mad at me if I make a friend out of this “fix it man” neighbor.

17 Likes

Uh, when is someone going to top me off?

Waiter?

Feh.

18 Likes

Amazing patterns on that cat!

My food dish is empty. My food dish is empty. My food dish is empty. My food dish is empty. My food dish is empty. My food dish is empty.

19 Likes

I can’t get rid of the damned lassi pic!

2 Likes

He’s very photogenic. Snowshoe. This is what he looked like when we adopted him, the cute lil monkey boy. Who knew he would get so dark?? And so fat :smiley:

12 Likes

I was wondering what that was for - maybe the cat likes lassi?

2 Likes

1d

16 Likes

Bitter Apple spray, at pet supply stores. Or sriracha, dip cord and let dry.

When I had cats, I cut the plug from the lights cord, threaded the entire length through thick, clear plastic hose from the hardware store, and attached a replacement plug. Actually, I did this with all electrical cords that might tempt a feline. And learned quickly to leave the lower 2’ of the tree undecorated. And to run sturdy cord or wire around the trunk, attached to the banister. The cats were Siamese, Oriental Shorthairs, and Cornish Rex. Nuff said.

4 Likes

It was selected in my photos for some reason, and hitched a ride on the Laszlo pic. He does not like yogurt.

3 Likes

Thanks… I’ll pass this along to my neighbor.

She never thought about the younger cat going after the lights, as her older cat has never been interested in the Christmas tree, whatsoever.

The older cat is very anti-social and hides anytime people come over, whereas the younger cat can’t wait to investigate anything new (people and trees alike).

4 Likes

Reminds me of Henri. Le Chat Noir.

5 Likes

I once had a dog who chewed through the cord of a plugged in and running refrigerator. I have no idea how he did it. The house and refrigerator dated to the early 1950s.

4 Likes

She just purchased a new fridge (french door model), hopefully the cat doesn’t want to play with that cord.

3 Likes

We are big fans of Henri. But Laszlo has more rage and less simmering resentment and resignation.

3 Likes

Dunno why the human says I need to lay off the imbibing and then snickers.

13 Likes

We drive you from us,
whoever you may be,
unclean spirits,
all satanic powers,
all infernal invaders,
all wicked legions,
assemblies and sects.
And please, in the name of all that is good,
MAKE THIS CAT STOP SNORING IN MAH EAR!

10 Likes

We had a Cornish Rex. What a guy.
Someone where my wife worked bred them when lived in Az and gave him to us as he wasn’t show material.

3 Likes