Unpopular Opinion About Box Cakes

The egg whites reminded me: I’ve never checked the facts on this, but I’ve heard many times that the first cake mixes were designed to be complete and were a total technical success, but it was discovered that the same mix sold better when the instructions were changed, calling for the addition of an egg. (i.e. the egg didn’t really improve the cake, but it improved the subjective impression for the person who was making it.) Is it known for sure whether that’s true or not?

2 Likes

Egg actually does serve a purpose in a recipe, but it’s possible that they didnt add powdered egg to the recipe so people could say they did something!

I’ve read that.

It’s unfortunate that sugar doesn’t stick to a magnet or something. :slight_smile:

Maybe some kind of unsweetened lemon topping?

Very popular German brand in Spain, for a quick and quite good Bizcocho & Carrot Cake …

4 Likes

43 posts were split to a new topic: Pizza: Frozen vs. Homemade vs. Pro made

Dr Oetker is also popular in the US. They have a dark chocolate mousse mix that has become a fast, easy dessert pie staple in my family . . . pre-made Oreo chocolate pie crust, Dr O’s mousse and a quick whipped cream . . . not gourmet, but pretty darned good dessert with minimal time/effort.

3 Likes

My sister makes this box milx and she is a talented home baker.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Pizza: Frozen vs. Homemade vs. Pro made

5 Likes

/facepalm/

1 Like

Wonder if the writer found their inspiration reading this thread.

3 Likes

This article seems to be based on some very interesting assumptions.
Let’s unpack them, shall we?
No? All right, then. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Spending $25 for a cake mix is idiotic. Anyone who charges that is a thief. Avoid.

The article had a snooty attitude towards box cakes which is exactly what I decried when starting this thread. My point had zero to do with convenience and everything to do with product. Read my OP!! I’m all in favor of painstaking steps if they result in a better product. But if they do not, then taking them is (IMHO) not worth it.

“A cake mix gives you a perfectly respectable cake—not the greatest, but pretty good—for $5, all in.”

Um, no sweetie. First, it’s $2.50, and second, the cake mix is better than anything I can come up with.

I’m also tired of the “artificial chemical” argument. First of all, don’t live on desserts.* They’re a treat. The poison’s in the dose. Second, everything’s a chemical. Organically-grown vanilla is a chemical. If the product is crappy taste, then that’s the problem, not the chemicals.

*unless you want to. :wink:

4 Likes

I think your comment is unkind. I didn’t write the article or post it.

1 Like

Apologies. I didn’t mean to address it to you. It was a general comment.

2 Likes

Thank you for clarifying.

1 Like

Thank you for pointing it out. I will be more careful next time.

I still think spending 25 bucks for a cake mix is insane. :wink:

3 Likes

Definitely not insane if it really is that great of a cake… but just how great it would need to be, to be worth that much, seems like “pretty great”.

I thought you were going Ladle Rat Rotten Hut on us.

http://www.docflash.com/lrrh.html