Un court aller-retour à Montréal

Like much of the world we have been trying to catch up on deferred travel. In the before times we used to make trips to Montreal fairly often. Finally managed to get back this weekend.

The weather forecast isn’t great. Got in Friday morning and tried to check in but the room wasn’t ready. So we headed out to walk around before the predicted rain came. As we are tourists here we did a really touristy thing and rode La Grande Roue.

Fall colors are already here. A view from the top looking out over the river.

Afterwards we got some coffee, espresso and a croissant as a snack.

We went to L’Express for dinner.

Ordered a nice bottle of Chablis. The weakness of the Canadian dollar made this a bargain.

I ordered a very nice celeriac remoulade and the lovely wife ordered a chicken liver mousse. The salad was fine but the mousse was amazing.

For my main I had a poached salmon on a bed of potatoes and chervil. The salmon was frickin amazing. Moist and flavorful.

Wife ordered quiche. I had a taste. It was better than I expected as I don’t really like quiche.

Split profiteroles made with maple for dessert. It was spectacular but I forgot to take a picture.

8 Likes

It was raining very heavily all day on Saturday. It was so bad I had to go and buy a new pair of boots as my shoes were completely soaked. My much smarter wife had already packed a pair.

So we put on rain jackets and grabbed our umbrellas and headed off to the Little Burgundy for dinner at Le Vin Papillon. Our first time there. We have been to Joe Beef and Liverpool House several times. The first when they opened a long time ago and before David and Fred were as famous as they were to later become. After reading about where the restaurants had gone, I wanted to let fond memories stay that way and try something we hadn’t so there were no comparisons to make.

The menu on Saturday.

Our server helped us pick some interesting wines by the glass.

We started with couteaux de mer - razor clams. Simply dressed with ajo blanco and slivers of green olives.

Then a tomato salad with lovage. This was such a simple but dramatic change from the more typical basil. Changed the dish to something unexpected.

Then rillette de truite. Forgot to take a picture until I had scooped some onto my plate. Surprise star ingredient was the potato. Waxy but tender and flavorful.

What now follows is what I remembered to take a picture of. Some of the pics are not so good. Bad in fact.

So here’s a crappy shot of the aubergine frite. Sorry for the blur. Might have been the wine catching up with me. This was such a simple but satisfying dish. Tender eggplant battered tempura style with caponata type topping.

Then maquereau pan con tomates. Best dish of the night and the worst picture of the night. It doesn’t look like much here and not appetizing but we loved this dish.

We ended up with a cheese course for dessert. Didn’t take any pics of it but the 2 year old comte was the highlight.

All in all a great night. Then we had to trudge off into the rain.

7 Likes

We’re staying in a boutique hotel in old Montreal. Went down for breakfast this morning. Ordered the “Americain” breakfast.

It was eggs, bacon, sausages, duck fat fried potatoes, pancakes, toast, roll, fruit salad. Also included was juice and coffee. This is what Canadians think Americans eat like? :crazy_face:

The lovely wife and I split it and it was more than enough. For $28 Canadian a bargain compared to a US hotel breakfast.

7 Likes

After that big breakfast we headed off to here

I am always amazed by the European markets. This one in Montréal is very much in that vein. I can’t figure out why most large American cities don’t have the equivalent.

Tomatoes that looked like little jewels. $4 for a quart size box. There were bushels of romas for $15. Crazy huh?

It’s October. The strawberries are still amazing. These aren’t Driscoll varieties. Look at the prices. Drives me crazy what quality there is for the price compared to NYC.

A few more shots showing the variety of produce here.

Finally have you ever seen a bunch of celery this big?

You can tell Montreal is surrounded by farm country. When the wind blows a certain way you can smell the manure in the air.

7 Likes

For lunch we walked through Little Italy to Mile End to a tourist favorite. At 12:30 there was a long line. Unlike her usual self, the lovely wife was willing to wait for a taste of this.

Smoked meat sandwich, a side of cole slaw in vinegar, fries and a half sour pickle. Then a walk back across town and a nap.

9 Likes

Thank you for this report! Montreal used to be an annual trip for us, then for various reasons fell off our exploration rotation. Looks like a re-visit could be in order.

3 Likes

We have been coming to Montréal for a while but have never gone to Au Pied de Cochon before. We went for dinner on a blustery Sunday night. The space was warm and inviting. Bustling but the music was a weird blend of French rap and contemporary music. No American rock to be heard. The French do many things well. But music isn’t one of them. An inauspicious aural start to the meal.

Ordered oysters with soy cured egg yolk. Oyster was fresh but the yolk was odd. Not to our tastes. No picture as we slurped the two oysters in no time flat.

Next we had scallops with grapefruit or pamplemousse. I love the French name for the fruit. It makes me chuckle. This is what we thought of the dish.

My lack of food photo skills will make sure I’m no influencer.

Then nigiri foie. Five big slabs of foie perched on sushi rice. There was a squeeze bottle of a soya dressing to drizzle into the spoon which you can see on the spoon on the left. Outstanding.

I had a dry aged pork chop. Very nice flavor but a bit too fatty for me.

As the lovely wife adores duck especially confit, she ordered the duck in a can. Unusual presentation when they bring you a can. You can read the ingredients.

The can is opened and then unceremoniously upended onto a plate with a slab of grilled bread on it.

Certainly not a good looking dish. Not instagrammable. Flavors were good but the duck was very tough. Not thrilled with the dish. It was on practically every table. Didn’t get the appeal. Maybe it’s just a gimmick. The can.

6 Likes

Today was the day we had to head home. We had a few errands to do and an acquaintance to meet. Then had just enough time for a quick lunch before going to the airport so we headed into Chinatown. Went to Mai Xiang Yuan for dumplings.

Had cucumber and seaweed salad.

Cucumbers had just enough spice to make it interesting. The seaweed salad was what you would expect but the portion was huge for $5.

Then a big plate of 15 pork shrimp and chive dumplings.

Very solid lunch for less than $40 bucks Canadian all in including a beer. So about $30 US. Quite the value. Then off to the airport and customs and immigration. Makes getting back home to NYC a breeze when you can just waltz off the plane and jump into a cab.

Easiest international travel you can do and still feel that you went far away.

5 Likes