UKRAINIAN - Spring 2022 (Apr-Jun) Cuisine of the Quarter

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Different parts of Ukraine have different dialects and some parts of Ukraine use a lot of Russian words.

Now as the official language in Kiev is Russain and not Ukrainian.

Kolach is the equivelent to Challah.

Paska/Babka are the sweet Easter breads.
They are indeed very different.

Kolache in Czech or Slovaki is a sweet bread.

Kulich is a Russian word and not Ukrainian and because the Russian language is very prevalent in Ukraine it is easy to confuse the two.

This is the first time I have come across the kulich.
Let census speak for themselves

Interesting read.
Just curious have you visited Ukraine recently?

(post deleted by author)

You know I’m out of this discussion because 1. We are completely out of topic and 2. It’s too emotional for me

2 Likes

You were comparing Kulich and Kolach
Which are very different.
Kolach in Ukrainian is like Challah.

Paska doesn’t have icing on it and
Kulich does.
Where Paska is more of a sweet bread like Pantone.
They may be baked in the same type of vessel however they are slightly different yet are both sweet breads.

(post deleted by author)

Cheemo (frozen) perogies with bacon, mushrooms and onions

1 Like

Kyivska perepichka, fried sausage/hot dog rolls, a Ukrainian street food!

1 Like

From the NY Times today:
For one Ukrainian American home cook, recording and sharing the dishes she grew up eating is an act of resistance. Rescuing the Cuisine of Besieged Mariupol, Recipe by Family Recipe:

Mariupol: A young chef is trying to rescue its cuisine before it’s lost forever

3 Likes

Cooked a few recipes from Olia Hercules’s book Summer Kitchens. Didn’t know her origin was from Mauriupol.

POT-ROAST CHICKEN COOKED IN HERBY CRÈME FRAÎCHE
Summer Kitchens by Olia Hercules

Pretty straight forward dish, chopped finely a handful of fresh herbs, the recipe suggested dill and parsley (including stalks), I used a mix of parsley, coriander and tarragon. Chopped a few cloves of garlic, mixed everything with crème fraîche, salt and pepper. Spread the herby chicken evenly on the chicken and inside as well. I cooked the chicken right the way, vs suggested by the recipe to marinate for a couple of hours. Added a spoonful of oil on the roasting pan and cooked with a cover foil in oven at 180ºC (200ºC without fan) for 45 minutes and without the foil for another 15-20 minutes. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. I served with a cucumber salad. Very tender chicken, simple and surprisingly good.

9 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2022/06/17/spicy-sour-marinated-tomatoes-recipe-ukrainian/

1 Like

Today i made 84 varenyky like my mother use to make. They

are potato and dry cottage cheese filling. They are being frozen for Christmas :ukraine::ukraine::ukraine:

9 Likes

I love vareniki! We have some berry ones in the freezer I made in summer. Your post reminds me I should pull those out soon to enjoy.

1 Like

Oh we had a plum tree and my mother always made plum varenyky. We would sprinkle a little sugar and had sour cream with them.

2 Likes

Today i made my mother’s borscht recipe. There are beets, potato,carrot, leeks in this soup but after it is cooked everything is blended, lemon juice and sugar is added and heavy cream is stirred in. I call it ukrainian vichyssose
. Here it has croutons and dill but sometimes wehave it with diced boil potatoes or a varenyky dropped in or little dumplings filled with mushrooms called ushki(only at Christmas). :ukraine::ukraine::ukraine:

11 Likes

After an extremely emotional day yesterday i made nalysnyky (ukrainian crepe). These are filled with a farmers cheese sweetned with icing sugar, egg yolks, vanilla. Dotted with butter and baked for 20 minutes. Served with rasperry sauce. Nostalgia from my youth.

Slava Ukraini​:ukraine::ukraine::ukraine:

11 Likes
1 Like