Trip report 2023 Tenerife

This is a continuation of part 1 of our trip.

Yes, on this trip, we first visited Iceland (Reykjavik only this year to see our favorite band, Wilco, play at Harpa concert hall) and then did a 180° and flew due south to Tenerife. We had visited Fuerteventura and Gran Canaria in 2019 and were eager to check out other islands. Not much to report food-wise, unfortunately, but I’ll get this down on “paper” before the memories become hazy. We are visiting only Northern Tenerife for 11 days.

Tuesday
Landed at the southern airport and stopped by the local Lidl grocery store for basic supplies (we will have kitchens the whole time). We stayed in a magical cottage near Masca, where we happily ate our basic pasta dinner, and munched on bread & cheese. Good inexpensive wine and tasty German IPAs.

Wednesday
We did the trail near us for spectacular views of the valley. Drove around the area - the switchbacks here are the sharpest we’ve ever experienced. Ate at our cottage for lunch and dinner.

Thursday
We ventured to the south, to the giant water park, Siam Park. Cheesy, but SO had a blast. He ate a hot dog inside the park. We didn’t linger in the south and ate dinner at a restaurant in Masca, Casa Riquelme. The town is built into the side of the mountains/hills, seemingly teetering precipitously. We were told there is only 1 menu, of chicken and potatoes by the owner, who gave off vibes of an aged rock star (he had lots of Jethro Tull playing on the patio; B laughed at me because they are one of my least favorite bands but mercifully, it was played at a low volume). A plate of charcuterie, cheese, olives, and bread arrived first. Then came the chicken stew, which I’m fairly certain was the traditional rabbit stew, made with lots of bay leaves, oregano, wine, and garlic. I guess chicken is more palatable to Americans. A side of papas arrugada (the ubiquitous Canarian potatoes) with 2 mojo. Needless to say, as a largely pescatarian, I ate leftovers at home. But the chill atmosphere made us all happy.

Friday
We checked out of our cottage and headed towards our new place, a house on a banana plantation near Puerto de la Cruz. We couldn’t check in until 5 pm so we spent some time in Puerto de la Cruz, which is more built-up than we expected, but away from the very touristy areas, there were quiet streets, picturesque little parks. We had a forgettable pizza lunch on the main square Plaza del Charco. SO ate several slices, which is the most important thing. I made a simple stew of green peppers, onions, tomatoes, garlic, white beans that we ate over pasta for dinner. The produce was purchased at Lidl - nothing fancy, but when I travel outside the US, I can tell the difference between the factory-farmed stuff back home and the produce abroad. We saw many cool things on the way.

Saturday
Hit a black sand beach, Playa El Bollullo; afterwards, had a late lunch at Vulk Brewery, an Argentinian place. We walked in to hear a favorite band, Supergrass, playing on the stereo. And then guess which band comes on next? Wilco. We were flabbergasted. The awesomely cool server told us that she’s in charge of the music - her good taste showed (she also commented on my Velvet Underground t-shirt when we first walked in). We had a basic meal of burgers (beef for the guys and a good beetroot veggie one for me) and fries but we were all quite pleased. Beers are not brewed there, but elsewhere. Although, not the best of their kind, B was happy sampling the IPAs, including a hazy, a session, and the house Vulk IPA. Place has a cool, industrial vibe inside, small pleasant patio outside. Dinner of leftovers at home.

I am determined to have fresh seafood today.

14 Likes

Oh, I’m sooooo envious. I think I’ve mentioned that we’ve been visiting Tenerife most winters fro 25+ years. But, due to medical issues preventing us from getting travel insurance, we’ve not been able to make it this year, so I’m going to enjoy your reports. Our holidays, to the south of the island, are always the “fly & flop” varierty and I’ve only been to the north a couple of times once (and then only for a day trip).

3 Likes

Speaking of single item menus, if you find yourselves back in the south, look out for the “famous” Adeje chicken. The inland town of Adeje is where you’ll find a selection of places serving it. But we go to this place in the resort area

3 Likes

Great report! These are definitely not Poor Places, looking at the beauty of the environment… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A fellow Wilco fan!

2 Likes

Fab report, super envious of your Wilco trip.
Am sure you’ve seen this, but just in case you haven’t…

2 Likes

Yet another Wilco fan here!

Thanks for the link to the video — the “Riv” is a great venue. I’ve seen Wilco there, among other bands.

I’ve been once - to see Arctic Monkeys in 2007 - we left a Cubs game at Wrigley to go and see them and when the gig finished the baseball game was still going :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Now THAT’S what I call a double header — brilliant!

Looking forward to another update!

Not much to report food-wise I’m afraid, but I’ll post briefly to keep my momentum going. We’ve been mostly having a series of ho-him dinners at home, a couple of lunches out.

Sunday
The scenery has been stunning; ascending Mt. Teide (the dormant volcano that is the tallest peak in Spain) by cable car was a treat. And dizzying — I felt the effects of being at altitude and was unable to have a proper dinner that evening (this has happened to me before in Nepal, Bhutan, and Flagstaff). We are way above the clouds.

Monday
We moved to our next place in the Anaga Mountains and on the way, we checked out the town of La Laguna which, once you get past the more modern and not attractive outskirts, is a chill university town with a street car system and interesting-looking shops and restaurants. We spent a few hours at Museo Ciencia y el Cosmos (Science and Space museum) on a cool drizzly day. It was way past lunchtime and because a lot of restaurants close starting at 3-4 pm for lunch, we had to cut our visit short. SO wanted a burger, B wanted beer so where else to go but…Beers, complete with the “Cheers” ripoff logo (we’re from Greater Boston). I wanted to go to Guaydil but I got outvoted. The place was not as touristy than expected, more like a hipster burger bar with American hip hop playing overhead. The guys were happy with their beef burgers. I proceeded to have THE WORST veggie burger in recent memory; I felt as though I was eating a patty of wallpaper paste.

Tuesday
The Anaga Mountains are really cool - so much biological diversity (when’s the last time you saw cactus existing alongside pine trees?!). We traveled up north, to Taganana and spent a couple of fun hours at the beach. For lunch, we went to La Ola, which worried me with the big Trip Advisor sign outside but my concern was unwarranted. We had a great lunch - good focaccia, a beautiful deconstructed beef lasagna for SO, cuttlefish for B, and a seafood rice dish for me (not paella). I’m not a cuttlefish fan normally (texture issues) but this was prepared very well. B detected some sweetness in both of our dishes, which I didn’t (but it was not a complaint, merely an observation). Perhaps sweet medeira/marsala was used for the sauce? The best parts of the meal were the flinty/bone-dry white wine from Vilaflor (the highest vineyard in Tenerife) and the conversation with the owner afterwards about Valentin, the goatherder who produces incredible goat cheese in the town that we are staying in (Afur). He recognized that we are serious about food when he saw me thanking his kitchen staff, loved his wine recommendation, and that we cleaned our plates. We spent the same amount here as we did at Beers for our burgers. A very happy lunch.

Wednesday (today)
We did an arduous but well-worth-it hike to the beach from our cottage. Had a nice picnic lunch of cheese and bread at the beach. We purchased some tuna at the SuperDino in La Laguna. I’ll sear that and make Canarian potatoes (which I reported on the Favorite Potato Recipe thread that they are ridiculously easy to make). Spaghetti for SO.

I’ll report again soon! We check out tomorrow and head in the direction of Santa Cruz (the big city on Tenerife). We’re staying in the vineyard for our final 2 days. I want to visit the contemporary art museum, TEA.

10 Likes

The scenery is fantastic. Maybe we’ll get there some day.

2 Likes

As much as I adore the pics of those stunning vistas, I equally adore your description of the veggie burger that went wrong. Enjoy the rest of your adventure!

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to hearing your take on Santa Cruz. Firstly because it’s many years since we lasted visited the city. And, secondly, because we will visit it for the day on a cruise we’re doing this summer (so, I’m starting to plan how we’ll spend the time).

1 Like

Wonderful report and pictures, so sorry about the burger! I wish my old legs would allow for such an adventure. Looking forward to hearing about Santa Cruz.

1 Like

Well, my intentions to update my report in real-time kinda went sideways. We were home in Greater Boston on Sunday after a great 18-day trip. I’ll try to piece together the days. The concluding days of our trip had several memorable moments.

Some photos from our arduous 800 (steep) vertical feet/244 meters beach hike.

Thursday
We left our just-okay cottage in the Anaga Mountains and headed to our final destination, a cottage in a vineyard south of Santa Cruz, in Arafo. We stopped in Santa Cruz on the way to visit TEA contemporary art museum and Museo de la Naturaleza y Arqueología. Because we’ve been staying in relatively remote houses, being in the big city feels like a culture shock and aside from the museums and lunch, we didn’t check out the rest of the city (but we saw the Opera House from afar). We grabbed lunch nearby, at La Escala, a pleasant spot. It has 3 levels and we chose to sit on the rooftop patio. Server was Marco, an expat from Milan, who is aspiring to open his own place and was doing research in Tenerife - his hospitality was exemplary and we had a really good meal. The restaurant offers vegan/veggie riffs on meat dishes so I happily ordered a “duck” quinoa dish - subtle seasoning which built up with every bite. B enjoyed his octopus, beautifully charred, and SO made quick work of his salmon (attempts to get him to try local seafood were thwarted). We celebrated our day by ordering a fancy gold ingot dessert. Even I had a bite and swooned - it was rich but not cloying and had an almost freeze-dried interior that just melted in the mouth.

Onto our “splurge” stay of the trip (which was a very reasonable $175 USD/night) at a vineyard south of Santa Cruz. The house inside-and-out is lovely, great kitchen, a wood-fired hot tub, and a surprise ping pong table!

Dinner was at home - pasta with tomato sauce a la Hazan and chickpeas.

Friday
We want to get away from the cloud line (above and below it, there is full-on sun to be enjoyed) so we decide to go to back to Mount Teide and it was a good move. We had a great day looking at Teide one last time. And what luck - we saw some paragliders setting up for a run so we stopped to watch. There was 1 German couple who were paragliding for the first time. B took videos of them and offered to email those to them. The female companion left without a hitch (pictured below). The male, who was last to go, ran into trouble. A big wind gust came up and dragged him and his tandem partner on the rocky terrain quite a ways and into a woody bush, with the chute flapping around and not properly filling with air. B, who was filming, dropped his phone to his side, thinking he would need to grab them. The driver was yelling to the instructor - we didn’t know what to do, thinking that they were going to get smashed into the mountainside. Unbelievably, the instructor was able to take control of the chute and righted them and they were off. The driver yelled to them if they were ok and we got a thumbs up. B and I had racing hearts, grateful that we didn’t see someone plunge to their deaths. I think we’ll skip paragliding for another day.

Hearts still pounding, we headed back to Arafo in time for a late lunch and decided to check out a place heartily recommended by our cottage owners, Bar Chicho. The pork sandwich was highly-lauded. We walk in - it’s definitely not a tourist place. Barely any English spoken and everyone eating looks to be local. We ask for the menu and the friendly server points to a picture of a pork sandwich on the wall and then points to a couple eating a platter of pork and potatoes and says “un poco picante.” And that’s all they have. B is concerned, knowing that I don’t eat pork and SO’s pickiness. In my mind, I’m thinking, I just thought I was going to see 2 human beings plunge to their deaths…life’s too short. “Let’s go for it.” We order a non-spicy and regular sandwiches. SO and I both try. And surprise - we both like it! B absolutely swoons. The pork is pounded thin and then pan-fried (I think). There’s a slice of cheese and it’s all on a good bun. This is definitely a case where the sum was greater than its parts. There’s something extraordinary about this humble-looking sandwich that B and I can’t describe. We finish the sandwiches and order a small platter of the pork and potatoes - this is the dish I will order if we’re ever in Arafo again. Small carafes of the house made red wine and cold beer round out the meal, probably the best of our trip.

Dinner at home again as we try to eat all the bits-and-bobs that are left before we fly back to Reykjavik the next day.

Saturday
We consider getting pork sandwiches to-go for our 3:30 pm flight back to Reykjavik but we decide against it - B thinks they are probably best when fresh and so our memories of the sandwich would be spoiled. We make our way south, to the airport. We have several hours to kill so we check out Playa de Tejita for a while (but all of our stuff is packed up and we’re in our airplane clothes, so we can’t do much). There is a nearby food hall and sit down at Selvaje where we are the only English-speaking party and everyone seems to know each other. They don’t serve food until 2 pm so we do like the Spanish, and enjoy the sun and some adult beverages. The cook starts up a giant paella and it smells good. SO gets a hot dog. Even though we’re not the biggest paella fans (I find it a bit of slog to make it through an entire plate of it), we order it. And it’s just ok. The rice is quite al dente, which I think is intentional, but B doesn’t enjoy it. Nevertheless, we had a fun time and then it’s off to the airport.

Midway through the flight, there’s a request for medical help at the front of the plane. B makes his way up there and I watch as he tends to the passenger. I think I see a flight attendant bringing up a defibrillator and of course, I’m thinking the worst. I check out location and we’re no where near land - if we had to divert, it would be to Spain or the UK, I think. He’s up there for quite some time but finally returns to his seat. The man - not an elderly person with heart issues - had passed out for an unexplained reason. Thankfully, he’s ok and we don’t need to divert. This is the first time this has happened to B and we travel A LOT (it happened once when he was a medical resident and to his relief, there were other physicians on board). We land in Reykjavik around 10:30 pm and head to our hotel.

Sunday
Our last day in Reykjavik. We are staying close to the hotel. There’s not a whole lot to do, but there is time for 1 last visit to the nearby swimming pool before our 5 pm-ish flight. So we end our trip as it began, with a geothermal pool and hot dogs (veggie pita for me).

Our flight back to Boston is full and our seats are in the very last row - oh joy. About an hour into the flight, there is a call for medical help a few rows ahead of us - another medical emergency! I am on the aisle so I run up and let the attendants know that B is a doctor. This is one is very serious - a boy of about 12 years was having an allergic reaction to a snack his mom gave him that was supposed to be nut-free (a beef jerky snack from France). She was, of course, beside herself. He was rushed into the galley behind our seats and I had no where to go but into the galley with them. I helped with supplies while the attendants and B helped the boy. Two other physicians, an older pediatrician with boatloads of experience and an anesthesiologist were on board and came back to help. The poor kid initially did not look good - the concern was for his airways. He got 2 epi pens (with a 3rd at the ready), Benadryl, prednisone. There was serious consideration to divert to Greenland and the decision needed to be made within 15 minutes. The 3 docs got that kid stable, who was taking oxygen to keep him calm and diversion was not needed. That 5+ hour flight seemed to go by in a flash. I went back to my seat once I could to see how SO was doing - he was happily watching movies and wondered if the boy was ok. I gave him a big hug him and said, yes, he’s ok. The row next to ours was cleared so that the boy and his mom could sit next to B for the 1 hour or so left in our flight. He and mom were let off the plane first to the waiting paramedics and then off to Mass General Hospital Peds ED as a precaution.

Oh, and just as we were landing, the poor kid in front of me (probably 6 years old) threw up on his mom. I saw it happen and yelled out for paper towels, sanitizer, and more bags. The junior crew member who was involved with the medical emergency (this was her 6th flight) jumped into action. She has gotten more training in the field than you could get in a classroom. I gave my compliments to the crew, to their manager, and sent an email. We are customers (of this budget Icelandic airline) for life and in fact, we are going back to Denmark in August on the same airline.

And so, that concludes this trip.

10 Likes

Wanted to add that there seems to be recycling everywhere on Tenerife. Every town had large clearly marked bins in the town centers. We (okay, maybe just I) are those crazy travelers that tote around their recyclables / compostable kitchen scraps everywhere until we can find facilities for them. What happens to them after being thrown into the proper bins, I can’t say. But I have hope. It’s important to me that we are responsible tourists as much as we can be.

4 Likes

Wow - what a hair-raising end to your trip! Glad everything turned out okay. And thanks for your posts. I always look forward to reading them. :+1:

2 Likes

What an adventure! For me, your trip reports outdo any travel show.

Glad that everything turned out okay for the passengers who experienced medical emergencies on your return flights.

3 Likes

Yikes, so much drama! I cannot think of when I have been on a flight with a medical emergency, much less two. Glad everything turned out OK.

Your trip sounded really fun and sure involved lots of gorgeous scenery! That pork and potatoes plates sounds great!

2 Likes