Trama’s at One Willow [NJ]

As a math teacher, one of my pet peeves is when the pricing looks like they can’t do math.

On their menu the $65 Captain’s Platter from the raw bar is one example. The description says you get 6 east coast oysters, 6 west coast oysters, and 6 shrimp cocktail. When you add the cost of these items separately, it is $14 for the east coast, $19 for the west coast, and $18 for the shrimp cocktail for a total of only $51. Is the description wrong?

4 Likes

Good catch!!! @Laura_Trama (see above).

2 Likes

Here’s my guess. The $18 shrimp cocktail doesn’t say how many shrimp you get. I’ll bet it’s not the six that come with the platter. If it does have less, that’s the difference.

1 Like

Clever pun about a seafood place!

1 Like

I will be there at 7 on Thursday. Stop by and say hello :slight_smile:

I realized we had a board meeting on Thursday so had to bump it up to Wednesday. It would have been fun to meet you. I’ll have to be less shy about hitting a HO-down.

1 Like

No problem. I was just there. They were closed so I didn’t get my lobster roll but this place is looking good! The manager showed me around and I was really impressed with everything I saw. More to come…

2 Likes

Laura: I stopped by and met Jason today. He is gracious manager and I’m looking forward to dining there on Thursday. He let me look around and I was very impressed!

Ps, I invited Jason to hungry onion. See if you can get him to join. He seems very passionate about food.

4 Likes

The DH and I dined at TOW last night. We had a 6:30 reservation for a high top. The bar was full and half of the high tops were occupied. The restaurant area was about half full when we arrived; full capacity by the time we left. The bartenders act as servers for the high tops. We started with adult beverages as we perused the menu and the room. My cosmo was not great. I couldn’t put my finger on what made the taste off. Maybe the lime juice wasn’t fresh…meaning it was squeezed a few days ago and had turned bitter. They used shaved ice, which is a plus for keeping it cold as you sip.

We ordered a green salad and a wedge salad. Both were excellent. The green salad, which was perfectly dressed, could feed three people. I don’t eat blue cheese but I did steal a naked piece of thick-cut bacon from the wedge, which the DH devoured. Yum! I ordered the catch of the day, mahi mahi, which is served with baked potato and napa coleslaw. The mahi was cooked perfectly. I ate all of it and forgot to offer a taste to my husband. I never finish my entree! The baked potato was finished under a broiler and so had nice crunchy skin at the top. The coleslaw was really good. The DH ordered scallops from the main course area of the menu, which was served with a roasted zucchini boat, smoked tomato coulis, basil oil. It came with 5 or 6 scallops. Everything about the dish was stellar. We each ordered a glass of Le Coast Cellars Pinot Noir Cali’s Cuvee - Willamette Valley. Full-bodied and delicious.

When our check arrived, we were overcharged for the scallops by $8. While the check was corrected by the manager, our server offered us a splash of the pinot noir to thank us for our patience. We never saw the manager.

During the dining experience, we saw Laura stopping by the tables of people she knew, often right next to us, but she didn’t stop at our table. I find that practice to be rude. At Netties, the FOH visited every customer after they finished their meals to ask how everything was and to welcome them to come back again.

2 Likes

Hi fershore,

I apologize for the manager for not coming over regarding the mishap in the price. We have had some technical issues with our POS system which was the companies fault and it is almost all corrected however here and there we find something still needing to be fixed. We have been open 6 nights with all new front of the house staff & new kitchen staff learning to work in tandem, new pos, new kitchen, in a very large facility and we are working on kinks that need to be tweaked out. My husband and I are perfectionist so we it bothers us that it is not 100% to our satisfaction, most people do not even notice, and if they do they understand since it has only been 6 dinner shifts.
I have been extremely busy but when service starts I try to be on the floor and I have been overwhelmed with the amount of people that have been coming in. It very much saddens me that you think I am rude because if you knew me you would know that it takes a lot of effort for me to be rude. Sorry for not getting to your table last night. Since we opened I know so many people that are coming in and they are all waving me down wanting me to come over. So when I am standing there talking to a table I can see people from afar waving at me or staring at me. Every night since we have opened I have had no voice left by the end of the evening. I am one person and I will try to do better to touch each person in the dining room and take into consideration what you are saying and look at it at your perspective. Since we are so new I also have to oversee the managers who are overseeing the waitstaff. Soon I will not have so much on my plate and I can trust that everyone is doing their role which opens me up to meeting more people. I actually like when people ask their server for me to come over so they can introduce themselves to me. I am a tad shy believe it or not and I never want to intrude on someone’s dining experience.
Happy Memorial Day weekend and hope you enjoy with friends and Family

6 Likes

Why was there ice IN your Cosmo in the first place?? (And for the record, I’m a fan of shaved ice for some drinks…)

Let me find that applause emoji… :clap::clap::clap:
Seriously, Laura, I have a lot of respect for you already; I’m generally extroverted, but I’m with you about not wanting to intrude without knowing that people want to meet.

2 Likes

I appreciate your prompt and thoughtful response, Laura. It means a lot. We look forward to being regular dock-and-diners this summer.

2 Likes

As I stated about Nettie’s, the FOH approached every table AFTER they finished their meals. This is not an intrusion. It’s genuine concern that the customer was satisfied.

2 Likes

Not to rain on the Nettie’s parade, but the FOH manager didn’t visit our table on the last visit. Possibly the last two. I did see her visit other tables so :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Please just ask your server if Laura can stop by the table so you can introduce yourself and I am very happy to do so. It happened many times last night and I met some wonderful new customers. Enjoy your Memorial Day Weekend. And when you dock and dine first call Gloria at Sandy Hook Bay Marina to make sure a slip is open. The number there is 732-872-1511.:blush:

2 Likes

I wish you introduced yourself last night to me. Last night was the quietest night so far and I got to breathe before a very busy weekend. I am really happy to have Jason on board, he is so gracious and kind.

2 Likes

@Laura_Trama, Your One Willow website does not include days and hours of operation. I hope you’re planning to add them. Until you do, providing them here would be helpful.

2 Likes

Just a FYI, while their web site doesn’t have the hours, Google does. So here they are and for anyone else just do a google search and they will come up. (assuming they are accurate)

OpenTable has them, but they differ in important ways from what you show is listed on Facebook. So much for the accuracy question.

It’s a huge omission on the website. Prospective diners should be able to find the hours there. And, by the way, easily. It surprises me how some websites manage to “hide” them rather than putting them in plain sight, i.e., on the home page.

2 Likes

It also saves the restaurant from having to field the same phone call over and over again. I’ve never understood why this basic info isn’t front and center on all restaurant websites.

2 Likes