Traditional Chef Uniform

Traditional Chef Uniform

1: Chef’s hat or toque- A toque is a tall, cylindrical hat that is worn by chefs. It is typically made of white cloth and has a band around the base. The top of the toque is often decorated with a symbol or emblem.

2: Chef’s jacket- A chef’s jacket is typically white and is made of a sturdy fabric. It has long sleeves and a tight fit, so that it does not get in the way while the chef is working.

3: Chef’s pants- Chef’s pants are also typically white and are made of a sturdy fabric. They have a loose fit so that they are comfortable to move around in.

4: Chef’s shoes- Chef’s shoes are typically black and slip-resistant. They have a closed toe and heel to protect the chef from hot surfaces and sharp utensils.

5: Apron- An apron is a piece of cloth that is worn over the front of the chef’s uniform. It is typically white and made of a sturdy fabric. The apron protects the chef’s clothes from getting dirty while they are working.

I was thinking of the checkered pants. More common than white pants where I live.

1 Like

Nice! I took a 3 day course at the CIA in Napa, and that uniform came with the registration!

The illustration seems to be saying what looks like a checkered towel is an apron, (but maybe it’s not.), while I remember a hip length jacket and a white apron and a white towel.

1 Like

I had lunch at the CIA in Napa, maybe 12 years ago!

The chef who I’ve taken classes with in Stratford, Ontario, wears the checkered pants and white shirt while he is teaching and when he is working in the restaurant. Usually no hat.

Spam, likely. But do engage :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

My non-traditional chef uniform:

black headband
black tank top, sleeved shirt in the winter
black yoga pants, shorts in the summer
apron, never white
brown clogs

I hate chef coats and have never worn a toque.
:woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

well, we wouldn’t want to be insular …

:wink:

2 Likes

I’m sure the post will spark some really insightful exchanges.

2 Likes

Def spam text copy/pasted from the CIA article. (Good Article!)

1 Like

I don’t know; some of it doesn’t sound right.
I wonder why there was no “This is so and so’s first post…let’s welcome them” warning? :wink:

I see; here it is.

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/types-of-chef-costumes/31935

2 Likes

They’re almost identical, which is why Ima go with spam poster. EEMMV, of course.

3 Likes

So how many person have you assassinated?

3 Likes

if she tells you, she’ll have to kill you.

3 Likes

Well the chefs hat would be a problem. At 6’ 8" let’s add 12 ". Round up . . 8 feet tall . Ducking under , Lol .

c543975960022c2ecd2013c73502c9b65de7776e0f2df0f3bd1e576c1ccc95be.0

4 Likes

Maybe I am already dead?

The Side Towel

Nowadays, most chefs use side towels to protect their hands while lifting hot items from the stove or oven. When not using the towel, it is tucked into the string of the apron. The side towel is not meant to be used as a wiping cloth. If, out of habit or instinct, a spill is cleared with a side towel it should be replaced immediately. Once they become even slightly wet, side towels can no longer insulate the hands. Instead, they will conduct the heat, which will move quickly through the moisture. (And if you drop the pot when you burn your hands, you are liable to give yourself or others burns on the legs and feet from the splash.)

From your CIA link.

LOL, I always thought it was for wiping!

As someone who once used a damp towel to remove a pan from the oven, I can attest to its heat conduction properties. Ouch.

1 Like

Yep, only one welcome message per user.

Since there has been no overt attempt to sell anything (yet) the posts have not been removed (yet).

Though the idea that the posts have been plagiarized from the CIA without attribution? :thinking:

4 Likes

Sounds painful.

True that a pro kitchen doesn’t have oven gloves.

1 Like