Trader Joe's Yea/Nay/Meh: 4th Quarter 2015 - Pumpkinvasion to New Year's

In my experience with sprouts from my farmers’ market, you can basically unscrew the sprout from the stalk. No knife needed. Having risked fingers for quite a while, this is a huge relief.

1 Like

I thought I was the only one who kept produce “fresh” this way! Glad to know sprout flowers are a real thing. Can’t wait to cook the stalk as you described, always threw those out before.

HUGE YAY for the refrigerated turkey pot pie. Puff pastry top. Also includes cornbread stuffing, root vegetables, and dried cranberries. I could do with less salt, but that’s almost always a trade-off with prepared entrees. Are these new this year, or have I overlooked them in prior years?

Yay yay YAY for the organic cream-top grass-fed yogurt! Apparently a new item, it’s the one with the clear green lid. I bought some to use as starter for my home-made yogurt, & it turned out the best it’s ever been – smooth as silk, creamy, wonderful taste. I used to use St. Benoit until they shrunk the size of the single-serving jars. I’ve been using Straus but get hit-or-miss results (although, to be clear, the Straus yogurt itself is always super-yummy). So I’ve been hunting for a new starter. This is it! & the price is right. Oh, it’s also great to eat, before getting around to making a new batch of yogurt :wink:

2 Likes

indigirl, what region are you in? I couldn’t find this yogurt at my TJ’s. Also curious, have you ever made goat’s milk yogurt using any of these commercial yogurts as a starter?

I found it in Oakland CA, at the Rockridge TJ’s.

I haven’t made goat yogurt, but I’ve been thinking about it cause I know some folks with goats…

Cream top grass fed? Their cream top milk used to come from Straus. Which plant is this yogurt from?

Plant 06-332. It’s nothing like Straus yogurt. More like Brown Cow or something like that. I googled the plant # & found Sun Valley Dairy; appears that’s also where Voskos comes from, but this isn’t a Greek yogurt. Is there some trick to figuring out whether this yogurt is more widely available as a non-TJ’s brand?

Sriracha potato chips are awesome as well! I like the waffle cut.

Huge yay for the Dark Chocolate Shortbread star cookies. Bought 3 boxes since last year they sold out around Boston really early.

OMG OMG OMG! The new Fearless Flyer announces nduja!

Anyone tried it yet?

We had a bag but “someone” finished it off before I even had a taste. Luckily, TJ’s is a 5 min walk from our house.

I have it on my next shopping list. Only 3.49USD for a 6 oz tub.

Ditto. I’m getting it tomorrow :grinning:

1 Like

A friend’s daughter spotted the Brussels sprouts stalks (would have been either Burlington or Arlington, MA) the other day. Huzzah!

I googled a bit and it looks like Sun Valley Dairy and Voskos are one and the same. My guess is that they produce the branded Voskos yogurt as well as formulate something else for TJ. Voskos doesn’t seem to be very well distributed (and they are greek yogurt as you said).

YAY for the nduja! Heading to TJ’s today to check out some of their other holiday products (bacon-wrapped scallops, bacon-wrapped dates, curated oils) & plan on picking up another box set of their nut oils. Those are a total YAY, for sure.

1 Like

BIG NAY on the bacon-wrapped dates. Waaaay too sweet for my taste. Maybe if they were stuffed with a saltier cheese than chèvre, they could work. Not getting these again.

Huge YAY: the local TJ’s (Geary & Masonic, SF) is currently carrying Junipero, one of my two favorite gins (St. George Botanivore is the other), and at a very decent price ($28.99/750, and it’s usually around $32.99 at BevMo).

YAY: Poultry Rub. Used it on our turkey this year, and it was very nice. Last night I made squash soup and used the poultry rub for (some of the) seasoning, and it was delicious.

Aw, man. How I hate living in a state with dumb-ass liquor laws. I’m a fan of Junipero, too. Nice for martinis.