Trader Joe's Yea/Nay/Meh: 4th Quarter 2015 - Pumpkinvasion to New Year's

[quote=“StoneSoup, post:14, topic:303”]
thought it was overly sweet & needed salt, pepper, basil & some garlic to make it work.
[/quote]Yes, I bought the TJ’s tomato soup thinking it would be like the Pacific (in fact kind of assuming it was made by Pacific). I’ve gone back to ordering the Pacific by the case for getting through the winter.

I’ve been making my own tomato soup lately. It’s really not that much work & always comes out exactly how I like it :slight_smile:

I noticed this week that the frozen puff pastry is back for the holiday season, and made a point of commenting to a clerk that puff pastry should be a year-round item.

Catholic family here and we also lit candles in an Advent wreath on each of the four Sundays of Advent. Three pink candles, one purple candle for the Third Sunday called Gaudete Sunday (rejoice), and one white candle in the middle of the wreath which is lit on Christmas Eve.

The children loved to open the doors of the Advent calendar. The numbers on the doors are random and it was fun for them to have to search for the numbers, especially when they were just learning to count.

2 Likes

modified yay to the thanksgiving potato chips. good, but not enough to send me running back for more.

also, an update on a couple of items. i’ve been dying to try the frozen riced cauliflower, but it’s never in stock. the team member i asked said it’s listed as “unorderable,” with no indication when it would be.

re the light coconut milk i’ve used for years, she said the company is still in talks with the supplier and a resolution may be in sight.

I’m not a fan of the “all things pumpkin” phase but I just found their Gingerbread Cake mix yesterday and loaded up. It’s perfect on a cold winter night when I have a sweet tooth and the kitchen needs to be warmed up.

These are dangerously good. They now have small packages of them in the checkout aisle (I think there are 8 or 9 pieces for $.99), so you can buy just a few rather than that whole big container.

1 Like

I picked up some White Chocolate Baking Chips today for use in candy making - I haven’t used these before, but I understand they are a seasonal item so I’m happy to confirm that they have arrived! They get good reviews online and are apparently much better than most grocery store white chocolate, for a much nicer price.

1 Like

Good to know, have not seen them yet. YAY you made it here!

1 Like

Yay to the bags of frozen mixed mushrooms (pre-prepared). I keep several in the freezer at all times. I feel like real cooks would say bah! Cheater! But so convenient, please don’t beat me!

Yay for the package of 8 taper candles. They are odorless, drip free, and very inexpensive. In So Cal they are “seasonal” and just this week they are back. Usually they come in white and off white, but only white was in the store. I buy several packs at a time.

1 Like

Too right you are. Here year round in Pittsburgh, and I have drawers of 'em. In fact I wash my dishes by TJ candle light. And a little night music.

Lucky you! I suspect with the SoCal heat they stop sending them this way for the summer. I’m going to make sure to get a much bigger back up supply this year.

You must be right about the heat, they throw off a surprising amount. I grew up in SoCal (UCLA’80 ) & while I love the Burgh like nuts, have to light the candles in winter specially because my kitchen window does not look out on the Pacific Ocean! dammit. :smile:

BOO-HOO for the news that (in the Boston area, at least) TJ’s has had to reject all the Brussels sprouts stalks so far this season, for mold and mildew. It’s uncertain whether there will be any for December.

Thanks folks for the explanation on Advent calendars. Gio, we are also using it to encourage our little one to learn numbers.

YAY - Pumpkin Spice

I can’t remember the last time I purchased a spice mix, but I was in a super rush one day and picked it up. It won’t replace my own blend, but it was pretty okay. I particularly like the lemon.

1 Like

Picked up my second stalk of the month this morning here in Houston. Love those things. They’re kind of a PIA to clip and clean, but they’re really good.

Give the end a clean cut, then keep it in a “vase” with water. As you need them, pull the sprouts off, using a downward snap to include the edible stump of the sprout. Refresh the water every day or so - the sprouts still on the stalk will stay fresh at room temp. When you’ve used all the sprouts, hack the stalk into as few pieces as required to fit your steamer basket, and steam. The tough “bark” will split lengthwise, allowing you to cut the stalk open. Use a spoon to scrape out the vivid green “marrow”, which tastes like a blend of artichoke and cauliflower or broccoli stem, with a little nuttiness, and a creamy texture. Scrummy!

2 Likes

I am officially addicted to the Turkey and Stuffing-Flavored Kettle Potato Chips. Initially, very subtle but the flavor builds up. Unfortunately, my local TJ’s (Arlington, MA) is all out of them. Am I going to have to travel all over the Greater Boston area to get my fix?!

Burlington MA had plenty of them Wednesday.

1 Like