Trader Joe's YEA/NAY/MEH, 2023 Edition

I agree. That is silly. What is their season?

I dunno, maybe. It never occurred to me that animal cookies were associated with V-Day.

1 Like

I always associate them with Christmas (animal crackers in generalā€“not these specific ones).

Growing up in California, Motherā€™s Circus Animals, the original pink and white frosted cookies, had no season, they were just always around. There are lots of things that TJā€™s makes ā€œseasonal,ā€ however, for no reason other than making space to rotate the product lineup in their small stores.

5 Likes

Watermelon Jerky

Nay! Nay! Nay!

NAY!

6 Likes

I just canā€™t even. :nauseated_face:

Thanks for TOFTT!

More like TOFTW

Take
One
For
The
World

1 Like

To SF Bay Area Peeps:

SSF today got in cases of big beautiful artichokes, $1.99 each. WF has smaller ones for more $.

Iā€™m going to do the anchovy stuffing mix for them. At thanksgiving I make a stuffing without anchovies but with chopped FRESH water chestnuts that I find at Chinese markets that time of year. To my surprise, I found some today (I was resigned to using canned).

I love the Simply Nutty dark chocolate, peanut butter, and almond bars I bought on a whim. I am not at all an energy bar person, but they have helped me through a few airport and air travel related slumps. They are also delicious.

3 Likes

100% agree. Yuck.

Itā€™s like a food thatā€™s going through an existential crisis.

I mean what the heck is watermelon without, um, water.

4 Likes

I will look for those! Weā€™ve scratched that same itch before with Kind bars, but Iā€™m down for something new to try.

Theyā€™re basically just nuts and dark chocolate - very nutty & not too sweet. 200cals but in a desperate situation theyā€™re somewhat healthy and very enjoyable. If you love nuts & chocolate, which I do :slight_smile:

3 Likes

From the ingredients, these look like theyā€™re meant to be a dupe of Kind bars. Nuts, chocolate, sweeteners, etc.

It sounded like that. Sometimes a person needs variety - even brand variety!

Going forward, Iā€™ll add water chestnuts to this stuffing mixture. Unfortunately, the fresh ones I bought were not in the best condition, I had to cut off bad parts to get to white parts. Canned would have been better.

I should not have started this so late, took a long time to chop everything for stuffing, trimming 6 big artichokes. It was after 1 am when I removed from the oven then had to cool off before refrigerating.

I used 15 anchovies and I think this is right for 4 Ā½ cups of panko etc, not too strong tasting.

Costco Kirkland Nut Bars are better than any Kind bars, IMO, and less expensive. A bottom of dark chocolate, topped with lots of seeds and nuts, with a chocolate drizzle and a little bit of shiny sweet glaze. I canā€™t remember if itā€™s syrup or honey.

1 Like

just tried the chocolate laceys, which are essentially two florentines sandwiched with dark chocolate.

now for me, ā€œtoo much chocolateā€ is usually an oxymoron, but here, thereā€™s so much chocolate, i couldnā€™t taste the florentines.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like