Trader Joe's YEA/NAY/MEH, 2023 Edition

now there’s a guy that like sauce.

2 Likes

:joy:

Many of things do need sauce, but his expectations going in are a bit odd.

Also, the mozzarella sticks might be one of the worst things I’ve bought from TJs — they splat every single time. So I’m not putting a lot of stock in the rest of his list :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I personally enjoyed that he disregarded all cooking instructions and just decided to wing it :joy:.

6 Likes

everything tastes better with sweet and sour sauce :joy:

maybe the whole article is tongue and cheek, who’s going to a party and eating 20 trader joes mozzarella sticks?
:joy:

2 Likes

You’ve never met some of my in-laws.

8 Likes

Lucien Formichella (author) seems to be the Insider’s Trader Joe’s taste tester. Here’s another report on TJs’ salads:

And this is what he does - he tries “all of the things” at a WaWas, Taco Bell multiple times for various things (THIS is where he got all of the sauces!), Subway, Ben & Jerry’s, Entemann’s, KFC side dishes, White Castle breakfast items (I didn’t even know WC had breakfast items!), Aldi’s snacks… woof, this guy will eat anything! LOL

2 Likes

YAY. some may find the smoke too overpowering and the texture bordering on mealy. personally i can eat a lot of these. intense.

8 Likes

Might not be too late! I picked up two boxes yesterday, but they are slowly being moved to a smaller, and less conspicuous space in the store. They are being taken over by the latest strawberry jalapeno, and other jalapeno flavored stuff of the month.

4 Likes

I picked up the strawberry jalapeño crisps the other day. I liked them better than I thought I would. In case anyone was on the fence about that flavor combo in TJ’s products lol.

3 Likes

I’ve always found tj’s mozz sitcks to be among the better of the frozen oven-baked variety. I get little, if any, cheese leakage, leading to nice crunchy/creamy mouthfulls of cheese and breading and marina, like a super-low-rent pizza bite.

prior to my aging into typical Jewish middle-age lactose intolerance, that is something I would do. On the reg. Without thinking twice. And not limited to TJ’s mozz sticks. Fried cheese in almost any form was an enthusiastic 'yes please, and keep ‘em coming.’

5 Likes

I like the flavor but they leak out on me too. Everytime.

Agreed- and with a capital MORON, IMHO

Those aren’t exactly product nays, more like management nays.
I was annoyed when Trader Joe’s 86’d the mango sticky rice and the chocolate-covered sunflower seeds. There was one day I was disappointed they discontinued the bibimbap, but that’s easier to reproduce.

1 Like

Mine just returned from TJs and for the 2nd time couldn’t find the ube mochi pancake mix. They asked and were told it was seasonal April/May only. WHY WHY WHY TJ’s would you do this awful thing after introducing a tasty treat to your customers?

The scrumptious ube Joe-Joes cookies were short-lived, too. I never tried the regular ube cookies, don’t know if they are still stocked.

They ditched their frozen Shrimp Toast years ago. It was very popular -nearly always sold out. They also used to have marinated artichoke bottoms. That disappeared. Their version of Scottish Tablet, “butter fudge” , is no longer available. I looked in vain in the bakery section for a Angel Food cake I often used to get. Nothing. Lately, I haven’t been able to find their shelf-stable heavy whipping cream. I sense another disappearance …

Perhaps we should have a thread for TJs discontinued products. :scream:

1 Like

Moly, those are gone already? Weren’t they just introduced a few months ago?
Ehh, TJ’s is gonna need that shelf space for that pumpkin-spiced dog food :wink:

3 Likes

I am sorry for your losses! I’ve been on the receiving end of some discon’t products as well. The only one coming to me now is the sour gummies shaped like Ts and Js. But I really don’t get the products that don’t seem seasonal, but then they make them so. Panettone - xmas only. I get it. Pumpkin spice everything (fall - ok). But what about ube yells spring? I hate that I tried it, liked it, and now can’t get it for 8 months.

3 Likes

I just assume every new TJ’s item is temporary. Saves a lot of disappointment. When honey butter potato chips, which were very popular, vanished in record time, I realized that Robert Frost was right: nothing gold can stay.

5 Likes