Trader Joe's YEA/NAY/MEH, 2023 Edition

Might have to try their pasta again. I did once a few years ago, and was disappointed enough to stay away since then. By the time it was al dente, all the pieces had broken (from normal stirring) and it was just a broken pasta crumbs mess. Now I almost exclusively use Barilla and Colavita.

They were out of the Greek kalamata olive oil for a long time, and then they ran out of Porto 6, a great $4.99 Portuguese red. I asked what was going on, and they said there was a supply line interruption because of a port strike somewhere. Today they had both the oil and the wine, so I guess they relied on the same supply chain.

1 Like

Is that oil in a tin can?

No, in a square-ish bottle.

2 Likes

Wait, what? Itā€™s my every day olive oil, and I was recently told that our TJā€™s wonā€™t have it back until 2024!

Yeah, that (popular products disappearing) can be a thing at TJā€™s. I still miss the Trader Jacques cultured butter.

It may be like the similar situation at Costco, where the retailer drives an initial hard bargain on a huge order, and then the producer realizes itā€™s too small a margin.

I know things become discontinued. However, it seems in this case that the olive oil I love is available, just not at my particular TJā€™s, and not for another year. I find this puzzling.

2 Likes

Itā€™s the ā€œnot for another yearā€ part that puzzles me.

This raises another question, if indeed the OO is available at other TJs: Other than perhaps local/regional fresh produce, do different TJs carry different/more/fewer things? I always thought standard offerings were their model. No?

I follow a very popular Trader Joeā€™s influencer who shops at a very large (both physically and sales-wise I assume) store in the LA area. Her posts are very helpful except that not all the items she talks about are available in my local, smaller TJs 50 miles south. Some turn up later, some may sell out before I find them, others may never get there.

As someone who spent their entire work life in and around retail this just sounds normal to me. Retailers obviously need to maximize profit and efficient use of their space is key to that. Itā€™s frustrating to me as a shopper, but I understand it.

2 Likes

Yep ā€“ we have several big TJ stores here in NOVA but the Instagram account I follow is based on the Left Coast and they appear to get many items that we never see.

4 Likes

I remember trying their pasta many years ago and was terrible - a weird texture and strangely sweet. I never bought it again. Thereā€™s enough good pasta at my local grocer that I had no need to bother again. Unless of course you do and give it a favorable review!

1 Like

I guess Iā€™ll have to take one for the team :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a coincidence that you mention this. I expect your fave olive oil from TJā€™s has been affected similarly to what I just learned. Today I got an email from Zingermanā€™s about a particular fancy olive oil Iā€™ve been wanting. Nope, not available this year. The reason cited was a limited harvest in fall 2022.

Olives are harvested for oil once a year, so if the crop fails or is limited that oil wonā€™t be available or in short supply until the next year.

3 Likes

But someone else was able to get the kalamata oil at their TJā€™s. Maybe the west coast is more important :sob: :sob: :sob:

2 Likes

I know its been mentioned before, but this is a big Yay! for us. A freezer staple.
Leftover Gochujang pork with fresh pea pods, carrots, scallions and scrambled eggs & soy sauce.

8 Likes

I agree. I finally tried it and itā€™s good - especially with some add-ins.

2 Likes

I love the frozen Chimichurri Rice. First I sautƩ sliced shallots, later add minced garlic. Toward the end I add more frozen peas, last, pieces of white American cheese. Very flavorful!

2 Likes

That sounds good, I will look for that. Thanks

I use the vegetable fried rice with their orange chicken after adding scallions, mini peppers and baby bok choy to the chicken as I stir fry it. Usually add some hoisin and shaoxing as extra sauce.

3 Likes

Big YEA for Cheesecake Cones, beside the ice cream novelties. IIRC, the mini ice cream cones are smaller than these, which are a package of four. Luscious crunchy almond cookie cone with an airy filling more like vanilla mousse than cheesecake. Thaw 20 minutes at room temp.

2# clamshells of fresh dark red cherries for $6.99 (Burlington MA) - a YEA price!

5 Likes