Trader Joe's YEA/NAY/MEH, 2023 Edition

I bought those two today in SF, the Castle Rock was only $4.49.

The Chablis LM mentioned is out until July!!!

6 Likes

Iā€™m going to roast the gorgeous special buy artichokes.

Report back!

1 Like

Sigh. In my state, Trader Joeā€™s cannot by law sell alcohol :cry:

Could take a while. The friend I will share with is recovering from a broken ankle. She lives over an hour away so Iā€™ll wait until she can drive here again.

YAY: Sweet and Salty Umami Crunchies. These are puffed rice crackers with a soy sauce and sugar coating, right up my alley. Definitely more sweet than salty and others may find them bland but bland is my jam.

I did not buy the tempura seaweed snacks, but they are probably the same as the Hi Tempura version that I sometimes get at my Asian store. Even the mildest flavor is pretty spicy, at least for me.

I saw, but did not buy, Cold Brew Iced Tea bags. This is kind of bafflingā€“how do you brew tea in cold water? And isnā€™t it unhygienic? Years ago Celestial Seasonings sold Sun Tea teabags and pulled them because bacteria can grow in water that isnā€™t heated to boiling. Maybe cold water doesnā€™t have that problem? If anyone tries it, let me know if it works and if you died.

1 Like

iā€™ve been cold brewing tea for years; never had a problem. i10 grams loose tea per quart of water; minimum 4 days in fridge (or longer, iā€™ve never had any go bad). always crystal clear.

6 Likes

I used to make sun tea in the summer. Fill a 1 gal. glass container with water, put regular teabags in with the strings hanging out. Place lid on and set in the back yard in a sunny spot. Will be ready in a few hours.

4 Likes

Weā€™ve started to have many more carnicerias around here, and thatā€™s where I get my flour tortillas. Theyā€™re no match for the usual grocery store types. Weā€™re pretty darn blessed here in southern AZ as regards tortillerias and carnicerias, and a lot of other things, too.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve done this, too, although I donā€™t think it took 4 days.

1 Like

canā€™t find it now, but years ago i read the cold brew instructions on the upton tea site (great source: upton tea), which specified 4 days. as an experiment, i tried 3 days, and found a significant difference.

1 Like

As usual, I did mine without directions :joy:

1 Like

Sigh, gorgeous. You do not see fresh artichokes like that here at TJs

Where are you?

These big purple ones were a special ā€œopportunity buyā€
They also have packs of 4 regular smaller ones.

I think it just depends upon whatā€™s going on in the local wholesale markets. I remember at the height of pandemic supply issues (Spring 2020) you couldnā€™t get a potato at our local (Las Vegas) Whole Foods, period. Yet TJā€™s had those beautiful enormous russets that you usually only see as ala carte baked potatoes in fancy steak restaurants. They were 89c each, which is pretty much their standard potato price ā€“ usually not a good deal, but in this instance, a killer deal.

1 Like

DC. Sometimes Iā€™ve seen the little 4 packs but they are never as fresh and gorgeous as the 'chokes you can get in CA. I spent a month at my momā€™s in LA in February and I think I may have eaten an artichoke a day, maybe 1.2

4 Likes

Have you tried the oven roasting method? I much prefer that, also for other vegetables, especially eggplant.

1 Like

The best are actually the baby chokes but they donā€™t make it much beyond central/northern California.
Just ecstasy.

5 Likes

How do you usually cook them?

Restaurant business ground to a halt the Spring of 2020, so the market for giant russets tanked. TJā€™s must have gotten a good deal on them. I considered it a great deal. The ones I bought there were pristine, and over a pound, so they cost less than the typical 69Ā¢|# at local supermarket chains.

4 Likes