Trader Joe's YEA/NAY/MEH, 2023 Edition

That sounds like a tasty snack, not an odd one. I’d eat it!

3 Likes

Honestly I think all their tortilla/bakery products go bad really quickly, at least for me. I usually just buy their naan because only four pieces come in it. Every time I’ve bought bread or tortillas they’ve gone bad before I could get through them, oftentimes before the expiration date on the bag to boot.

4 Likes

we’ve been pretty happy with the frozen naan, have actually never tried the fresh version. Not all too hard to make naan from scratch.

1 Like

I am a fan of their frozen naan as well, but I do like the fresh one. It’s a tad thicker than the frozen counterpart, and I use it to make naan sandwiches.

Their frozen naan great, especially garlic! I find the frozen closer to real naan, the fresh is like pocketless pita not naan — spongy.

3 Likes

I agree with this. The fresh one helps make a mean pork belly sandwich though, lol.

2 Likes

I am a slow consumer on any bakery item, so I try to grab from the very back of the shelf / drawer — the expiry dates are usually a bit later. (And I try to remember to freeze the package in a couple of days if it’s not moving.)

I had the same spoilage issue with milk, until I switched to emptying into glass bottles when I got home (and now it lasts well past the date on the carton).

1 Like

Perfect analogy

Cool trick - if you press the bread shelves in they pop right open. Easier access.

3 Likes

Meh - Trader Joe’s Shrimp Boom Ba. At least done in the air fryer. I’d bought it before I read reviews that it was pretty spicy, so I dumped their sauce and made my own using soy sauce, honey and some TJ’s stir fry sauce. Still fairly spicy, but the biggest issue we had was that the shrimp seemed overly breaded and their small size made them far from the succulent shrimp I make myself. Not a re-buy!

I do the same. I can only speak for the TJ’s I frequent, but the expiry dates for the bakery items, even the ones from the bottom or the back, are rarely more than 3-4 days out. For a normal loaf of bread or a pack of tortillas, I’ll never get through that on my own, or even if my SO is over. It’s simply too much in a short period of time.

Hence why the naan is my go to choice. With only four pieces, I can usually get through it, and it will usually last a day past the expiration date if needed.

Thanks for the info though. Appreciated :blush:

Bummer. I just bought this on Friday, but haven’t made it yet. Maybe I’ll steer clear of the air fryer when I do!

Yes, that definitely helps, especially on a warm day.

Agree in general, but one exception is their sliced sourdough, which in my experience has a pretty decent shelf life (good thing, because it takes us a while to get through a loaf of bread).

1 Like

Same here. I now “process” a new loaf of bread by putting two slices into a zipper baggie and sucking the air out with a straw before sealing. Then into fridge or freezer. The rack of fresh bread at the TJ’s I frequent used to be positioned directly beneath an air vent, resulting in loads of condensation inside the loaves’ plastic bags. After a new loaf had mold the day after purchase, I complained about the store layout (surely I was not the only customer to do so). Eventually they reconfigured that part of the store, which helped considerably.

4 Likes

Can I get a quick list of favorite wines? Heading there this afternoon before entertaining. FWIW we are in NC. Not so into reds today.

I’m fond of the Sainte Celine Chablis. French section.

1 Like

Castle Rock Monterey Rose of Pinot Noir, a steal at $4.99

You mentioned not so into reds, but I like
Pontificus, a French GSM (grenache, syrah, mouvedre), $7.99

4 Likes

YAY: Syrah-Soaked Toscano Cheese Spread. I’m a sucker for cheese spreads in general, but this one is especially good.

YAY-ISH: Tyrokafteri (3-cheese + roasted red pepper) spread. It’s tasty, but soupier than I expected–really more of a dip than a spread…so it’s the reverse of their pimento cheese dip, which is really more of a spread than a dip. Anyway, spreading it on crackers can be messy, but it’s a perfect dip for pita chips (e.g.).

3 Likes

YAY: TJ’s Italian Style Meatballs. (what we had for dinner + rigatoni & spinach)