Trader Joe's YEA/NAY/MEH, 2023 Edition

You can return both. TJ’s GENUINELY wants to know when and why customers don’t like an item and won’t disdain you for returning an open package. My habit has been to return only things that are spoiled, not those that simply don’t appeal to my palate. But a few years ago I came close to an argument with a wine department staffer. They didn’t have what I wanted but he recommended something similar, with the assurance that it could be returned. I replied that if I didn’t like it I’d use it for cooking because one man’s mead, etc. He almost demanded I return it because of how important it was that they discontinue whatever doesn’t sell well, for whatever reason. They must keep very close tabs on how quickly each item moves.

2 Likes

planning to get refunds for both (have the receipt), thought they could sell the unopened one. but i checked the dates and both expire on wednesday. so i’ll just put the hummus in my compost bucket and return the empty containers.

3 Likes

It’s my understanding that markets always discard returned items, even if never opened.

2 Likes

then composting and just returning the empty comtainers makes even more sense.

1 Like

Live on the edge :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

27 posts were merged into an existing topic: Trader Joe’s meta-discussion

Meanwhile, this is the only one we get since they stopped doing the shallow large diameter tubs in multiflavors. We used to get that shallow one in cilantro/jalapeno. Now we only get the med and really enjoy it. We oopsed and got the same shape container except “hummus dip” and it was pretty bad. Some weird lingering aftertaste there.

1 Like

Nay - Sfogliatella. A pastry from Naples, Italy. Their version is frozen and you bake them. We found them to be pretty greasy and not as good as ones we had in Naples and can buy in Italian pastry shops here. Not awful, but not worth a repurchase.

2 Likes

My friend bought a box, 4 inside, had never had them before, loved it. His son loved so much he ate 3!

I have a box in the freezer I haven’t tried yet. For people here on West Coast, maybe this is all that’s possible.

YEA for the Bucatini, and another one for the new Mafalda Corta pasta. Another of my favorite shapes, hope they keep it around!

MEH for the Tapas grilled artichokes. The outer leaves can be fibrous, not usually the case in the bottled artichokes.

If we’re going for pasta shapes, a big YEA for the TJ’s version of Cascatelli, the ‘waterfall’ pasta Dan Pashman came up with. Is it quite as toothsome as Sfoglini’s version? No. But it IS about 2/3’s the price of the Sfoglini and I don’t have to order it online. All the plusses of the shape (the sauce retention, easy ‘forkability’.

3 Likes

Yup, Some discussion earlier on it.

1 Like

I’m not much of a TJ’s shopper these days but we stopped in the other day and spouse picked up Gluten-Free Organic Rolled Oats thinking it was some kind of granola. The package says it contains oats, amaranth, chia seeds, quinoa flakes, and ground flax. Once spouse rejected it because it was in fact not granola, I gave it a try. Very good! I normally make steel cut oats but this product can be easily prepared in the microwave and tastes 200% better than the horrible little individual instant oatmeal packages you usually find on hotel breakfast bars.

4 Likes

Thanks. I am a big Shfoyadell fan and have been wondering if these are even close to fresh.

I’m glad they loved them! Perhaps I’ve been spoiled by the fresh-from-the-bakery ones.

We enjoyed the Mafalda Corta, too. It worked very nicely in this recipe: https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/lemon-butter-shrimp-scampi/

1 Like

Might have to try their pasta again. I did once a few years ago, and was disappointed enough to stay away since then. By the time it was al dente, all the pieces had broken (from normal stirring) and it was just a broken pasta crumbs mess. Now I almost exclusively use Barilla and Colavita.

They were out of the Greek kalamata olive oil for a long time, and then they ran out of Porto 6, a great $4.99 Portuguese red. I asked what was going on, and they said there was a supply line interruption because of a port strike somewhere. Today they had both the oil and the wine, so I guess they relied on the same supply chain.

1 Like

Is that oil in a tin can?

No, in a square-ish bottle.

2 Likes