Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2021

Very useful tip. I stumbled onto this one by trial and error. Now I do it all the time.

3 Likes

Yes @Phoenikia, and thank you! I do believe that suffocation is a big part of the problem! Very clever of you too, to poke the holes in the packaging! A quick way to help mitigate the problem, and one that I’ll remember to employ.

1 Like

@Lambchop I also remove tomatoes, peaches and apples from plastic bags. I keep tomatoes in a ceramic/glass bowl or on a ceramic plate at room temp.

2 Likes

Yes! Me too! In fact I’m pretty strict about fresh produce, always! Fruit is on the counter, with things separated from one another. i.e. tomatoes aren’t mixed with others, etc. and are never in the fridge, as well as most other fruits and root vegetables. Of course berries are different.

Sometimes I take mushrooms and other veggies out of their packaging and wrap loosely in paper towels. Other times I try to get the excess moisture out of things. As much as I hate suffocation of produce, I also hate the drowning of it! No matter where you live, fresh fruit and vegetables are expensive! I like to treat them with the respect they deserve!

2 Likes

YEA: Asian-Style Chicken Sausages. Sweet and savory, with a lovely blend of aromatic spices. These are raw so make sure they’re fully cooked. Last night we browned then braised them with onions, red lentils, and chicken stock–nothing else–and it was delicious (we served it over brown rice). The sausages had enough flavor to lend a good amount to the lentils. Would definitely get these again.

2 Likes

The “spicy” on these caught my eye so I tried them

Quite spicy - at least as hot as the jerk plantain chips - but a little one-note and oily. The crunch factor is good but too hot without enough other flavor gets a meh from me. I’ll finish the bag but probably won’t buy again.

2 Likes

Have the peanut butter pretzel nuggets always had sugar (corn syrup)?

Or am I only noticing the slight sweetness since I’ve been off added sugar for a few weeks? Never noticed it before …

I hadn’t been to TJ’s since September, so after my first Covid jab yesty I Ubered the extra 2 miles to stock up. Later, after lugging $160+ worth of mostly my usual TJ’s favorites inside and up the stairs, I couldn’t say for sure if I was wiped out from Moderna or groceries. Happily, it was not too late in the season to find the bags of Sky Valley Heirloom Navels in stock. Some of my staples weren’t there, and I didn’t ask, for fear of bad news. No Greek eggplant in the purple can, nor 12-grain crackers. The kringles on offer were pecan or raspberry; I chose the former. These are too sweet for me but - eventual DUH - I now just scrape off half the icing.

New, to me anyway, and not yet tried: corn cookie mix, and organic banana fruit spread. On reflection, the latter could just be baby food in a bigger jar. Once it’s hot enough that the only thing I can bear to eat for dinner is a peanut butter sandwich, I’ll open it. Why is it that only food boutiques seem to sell confiture versions of so many popular supermarket fresh fruits, like pineapple, pear, mango, kiwi? Ditto for ice cream. Why is apple ice cream a fancy thing, for God’s sake? (Here endeth the digressive rant :wink:.)

2 Likes

Do you recall what you pd for the banana spread? I’ve bought this, which is outstanding but pricey for the size…and hard to find…

I’ve never seen apple ice cream anywhere.

I still dream about Swensen’s Taffy Apple ice cream, although I haven’t seen it in close to fifty years.

$2.49 according to the receipt, which is within reach. Without hauling my bad back and knees to the pantry, I’m guessing the jar is 8-10 ounces. I think the only ingredients were bananas and citric acid, maybe some sugar.

1 Like

I once got apple pie ice cream at the supermarket, in autumn. It was good, with chunks of apple and bits of bakes dough, with a brown sugar or caramel swirl. It was a seasonal thing, perhaps Edy’s brand. Or it might have been frozen yogurt.

2 Likes

Thanks. And we’ve had Turkey Hill apple pie ice cream. Rich creamy and tasty. Apple cider frozen thick into a sort of drinkable sorbet are refreshing too.

Turkey Hill may be what I’m remembering.

Re the banana spread:

There’s a woman who does an Instagram & YouTube review/promotion/influencer thing called TraderJoesList. She bought the banana spread last week but says she absolutely hates anything banana, so she had to force herself to taste it on camera. After she spit it out and washed her mouth out, she did say that people who LIKE banana would probably like it. I saw it on the shelf yesterday but didn’t buy it because I’m not sure what I’d do with it. :rofl:

Lol. Isn’t that true of anything we eat? We def are in the like camp when it comes to banana anything. The BRINS brand is the consistency of curd. Which we also enjoy. We used the pricey BRINS version for a party. Mini banana cream pies. But, it was also tasty on toast.

If it’s the young blonde airhead I’m thinking of, I put absolutely no faith in her vapid, ignorant opinions. But in any case, a chaçon son gôut.

The page is easy to find on Instagram. Since I have a professional influencer in my family I can attest to the fact that it can be a real job and does generate real income. Airhead? I don’t know why you’d think that if it’s the same young lady. You can Google her and find out that she’s been in the accounting fiend and worked in chain retail real estate until just recently. In truth, there’s nothing particularly erudite in shopping at TJ’s but building a full-time business around it?? JMHO of course.

1 Like

MEH: Thai Garlic Noodles (on the new items shelf last week). Definitely garlicky, but not much else–very one-note. Might try the other flavors, but I don’t have high hopes based on this one.