Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2021

Yes, the checkers at TJ’s do tend to be friendly, helpful, and upbeat. I get a lot of “oh, I love those!” and the like.

And maintaining a positive attitude in their position has to be especially difficult, and should be more greatly appreciated, in a time like this.

5 Likes

Yes @TVHilton, kudos to them for always having a great attitude, at least on the job. I also get the feeling they’re happy to work for TJ’s, they feel fairly treated, and get good benefits; on a couple of occasions during light chatter, it’s been confirmed this is in fact the case. It’s not that easy being on your feet all day, and dealing with the public.

1 Like

@Sasha and @MsBean, @TVHilton too,

I’ve had the same experience with Persian and Fresco cucumbers from both TJ’s and Costco. As well, mushrooms from Costco. I’m quite certain this has to do with storage, and the length of time they’re in the supply chain, before they reach the end point of actual distribution.

I do know they’re stored in special cold rooms that lower the oxygen levels, and pump in gasses for preservation. This method is used for fruits too; I’ve bought apples which were beautifully crisp on the day of purchase, only to be mushy the following day. I avoid some Costco produce for this reason, especially the mushrooms and cukes.

2 Likes

There are no special cold rooms at TJs. I don’t buy any produce at Costco. Quality and quantity issues. Re the TJ cukes, I almost wish they would either stop selling them, or affix a sticker to the carton that says use within 3 days of buying. At least then people would know.

1 Like

No, I don’t mean there are cold rooms at TJ’s, but there are at other points along the distribution chain, including the packaging centers. I will still buy certain iffy things if I know I’ll be using them all when I open the package, or within a day or two, at most.

Sorry to mention Costco, it’s not in this thread. Just trying to be helpful @Sasha.

2 Likes

Yes, I’d bet that time spent in the supply chain could well be the culprit. Any type of cucumber will get slimy in the fridge sooner or later.

I have bought the small Persian cucumbers from a bunch of different stores over time, and observed that the batch with the most longevity came from a produce store where the stock turns over very fast.

3 Likes

Two yeas for us involve these treats: dark chocolate mini peanut butter cups and almonds coated in dark Belgian chocolate.

I never saw the peanut butter cups until recently—either they’re super popular or seasonal? Dunno.

5 Likes

The dark chocolate PB cups have been around for years. Love them!

1 Like

^ Thanks for thIs intel. The PB cups must have been sold out every time I shopped.

They do go fast, in the store and at my house. If you see them grab a couple.

1 Like

YEA: French Onion Mac & Cheese. It sounds like it shouldn’t work (croutons in mac & cheese?), but it does. Nice oniony flavor, plenty of cheese, and the croutons add texture.

2 Likes

was at tj’s on friday; don’t know how i missed this! just looked it up, and nutritionally, it’s way over the top. but that won’t stop me from getting just one on my next trip.

1 Like

Au contraire, that sounds absolutely ideal! Mac&cheese plus French onion soup? Sign me up!

1 Like

I haven’t tried these yet so I don’t know if the crunch to filling ratio is as satisfying, but yay for the small pack size because I really don’t need to eat a pound of pb pretzels.

5 Likes

Need has nothing to do with it.

3 Likes

I’d think the 5oz packaging is more of a snack size but they look exactly like the 16oz size I buy. I’d guess the price per ounce is higher for the small one so when you become addicted, like I am, just buy the bigger bag and store with a good bag clip. They last quite a while, though I can’t say weeks because… well, they never last that long. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

The pieces are smaller, about half the size of the regular pretzel nuggets. Nice and crunchy, maybe a little less PB in the ratio due to the size.

The downside is the small bag could easily be mistaken for a single serving when it’s supposed to be 5 :joy:

1 Like

had some last night, and sad to say, i was underwhelmed. not bad, just not great.

growing up, i loved stouffers, but over the years, i’ve found that nothing beats trader joe’s ‘diner mac and cheese.’ and since i generally have a jar of caramelized onions in the freezer or fridge, next i’ll stir a spoonful in and see.

Has anyone tried the riced cauliflower stuffing?

I accidentally grabbed it in lieu of the cauliflower stir fry that I wanted. The stuffing has dried cranberries, kind of a turn off for me, especially with my gyoza :smile:

I’ve had some plastic-wrapped Persian or Syrian cukes and plastic wrapped containers of mushrooms go slimy on me within a few days.

I think it’s because they can’t breathe, and mold/bacteria grow in that microenvironment.

I now poke holes in the plastic wrap for any packs of cukes or mushrooms, if I will be using them several days after buying them.

I try to place the package of cukes in the crisper, if I have room.

Mushrooms keep better in a paper bag, where they tend to dry out after a week or so, rather than becoming slimy.

If you have a Tupperware or Rubbermaid veggie keeper, or an equivalent veggie keeper with vents, transferring the cukes/zukes to that type of container helps keep them slime-free longer in my experience.

4 Likes