Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2021

Thanks…I wondered about those and decided not too. Sounds like I didn’t miss much.

1 Like

You really didn’t.

Today I bought the red curry version. We’ll see if that’s any good.

Update: NAY to the red curry noodles. The sauce is…okay, I guess, better than the garlic noodles anyway, and if that were all I were judging on I might give this a high MEH/low YEA. But for some incomprehensible reason they decided to put peas in it. (Why do people persist in the delusion that peas are edible?) I don’t know how much time I have left to live, but it sure as hell isn’t enough to spend a bunch of time picking peas out of what is, after all, supposed to be a convenience food.

3 Likes

Yea for…fish sticks! A local taqueria had the best fish tacos around, but they closed. TJ’s fish sticks are a good substitute, on their corn tortillas with avocado. Does TJ have cilantro sauce?

3 Likes

TJ’s has a green sauce (Green Dragon?) located beside their own brand of sriracha. It’s hotter than their sriracha, if memory serves, and contains cilantro.

{{ mic drop }}

2 Likes

YAY-ish for the Cranberry & White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies. 10 large ones in a cellophane-windowed cardboard carton, in the fresh bakery area, $3.99. These are thick, and loaded with sweetened dried cranberries and generous chocolate chunks. I did not open them until a week past best by date. They were chewy, but since they are thick, I doubt they were ever crisp (which I would have preferred).

TJ prices look high to me compared to my local grocery.

Why does this video guy think canola oil is bad?

Canola oils bad rep goes back to the 80’s/90’s due to poor research and articles written. Originally rapeseed/canola had toxins, which were bred out to create the oil bearing rapeseed/canola. Also production methods and practices back in the early days of introduction, but that was dealt with decades ago.

It’s basically urban myth like MSG being bad/dangerous/unhealthy.

1 Like

Ah. The Food Babe effect. Thanks. So as I suspected the video host has no credibility.

Regardless, I can presume the video of prices on shelves is correct which makes TJs pretty expensive, at least for what we saw.

Depends on what.
Their 6 packs of beer for$4.99 are great.
Wine is where they first became pop culture famous.
These are the most recent of my spice purchases.
Black garlic too.

So the deal is most products have a distinctive flair or unique angle beyond pedestrian grocery store fare and there are plenty of bargains.

4 Likes

When I need a really quick prepped dinner I find that most of TJ’s frozen Italian and Asian entrees are a far better value than similar items available at our local chain supermarkets. To me, in this instance, “value” means higher quality and lower price. I think that’s pretty much the lure of TJs in general. Their buyers seem to be really good at finding quality products.

4 Likes

Really love the 21 Seasoning Salute - great product and salt free. Would love to try the Ajika and Dukkah. After nearly a year and a half, it’s high time for a trip to TJ’s. Looking forward. Thanks for posting @bbqboy.

1 Like

^ This is what I enjoy about TJ’s: discovery.

I can try a type of product, condiment, or a seasoning without having to go to a specialty store or pay shipping for an online order.

2 Likes

He’s obsessed with health fads, phobic about preservatives and procrssing, and cares much more about ingredients than flavor.

4 Likes

I have not tried the Georgian one yet. It was new on the shelf yesterday.
You are exactly correct :relieved:
New cuisines and tastes for reasonable if not cheap prices.

1 Like

In my life, the Sky Valley Heirloom Navel Oranges are the highlight of late winter/early spring. Last week, about to enjoy the last one in the bag, I emailed the general manager of the company that grows and packs them to express my praise. He responded a few hours later to thank me and to say how my email made the day for the employees and owners. I had mentioned that the first time I bought these oranges, it was because they looked fresher than the other types on display. He explained that because of the ordering fulfillment system they have with TJ’s, it’s highly unlikely that their oranges arrive in stores in less than prime condition.

5 Likes

That has to be true. I will often purchase the exact same fruit with the same packaging from elsewhere but it’s always better from TJs.

1 Like

That one catches my eye. I’d be interested to hear what you think of that Georgian blend after you have tried it.

1 Like