Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2021

Can you post a pic?

I’ve been trying. Just updated iOS and the phone is giving me issues. I’ll post soon.

This pic was taken at the Brooklyn store two days ago. Looks different to me than the original labeling.

The Brooklyn store was right next to a restaurant where we had dinner. Definitely worth a visit.

3 Likes

Really enjoyed these.

Trader Joe;s gets a big MEH/NAY!

Not impressed TJ:

Wife loves TJ’s but c’mon.

1 Like

ABC Almond Butter Cocoa bars are pretty bad. They taste overwhelmingly of almond extract (that “natural flavor”). Yuck.

1 Like

started a trader joe’s thread for 2022

1 Like

YEA: Rosemary Croissant Croutons. Very light and flaky, just as one would hope. Tooth-breaker croutons are a pet peeve of mine, so these are especially welcome.

YEA: Spicy Chunky Tomato & Pepper Pasta Sauce. Not overly hot, but lots of pepper flavor. Currently my favorite of the TJ’s jar sauces.

1 Like

YEA: Extra virgin Spanish olive oil. They were out of the Greek kalamata evoo I usually get, with none coming in until next month. I got a small bottle of the Spanish oil to tide me over, and wow, it’s very good, quite peppery. I think I’ll keep some of it around for finishing, using the Greek for sauteeing.

3 Likes

I agree. The Greek is my go-to, but the Spanish one’s very good, too.

I wish my TJ’s carried spirits other than beer and wine.

Spelunking at the back of the fridge this week, I found an unopened tub of Belgian Chocolate Pudding that expired 7/10/21. Since smell and bulging are my guidelines for tossing outdated but unopened containers, I was undeterred. Recalling that it is now extinct, I stretched the container to five delicious servings. RIP, puddin’…

6 Likes

Yea, for the probably short-lived castatelli pasta from Italy. It showed up in the new products section last week. Thick, ruffled noodles in a contorted shape, the better to hold lots of sauce in each bite. With a thick meat and bean ragu, was almost like inside-out ravioli. I think they won’t stock it regularly because the package is very bulky, and won’t fit on the shelves. Here’s Wiki’s page on the pasta; it was just released last year.

2 Likes

I think they won’t stock it regularly because the package is very bulky, and won’t fit on the shelves.

I don’t know…cascatelli has proven immensely popular (when we first ordered some a year or so ago it was four weeks back-ordered). It may end up being occasional or “seasonal”, but if it goes away I do expect to see it back later.

1 Like

Reminder: there is a 2022 thread.

1 Like

This is very funny. Glad all turned out well. Pudding never lasts that long here.