trader joe’s: yay/nay/meh 2022

TJ s was incredibly useful when CDC constant dining companion was exploring different diets. Not diets for weight loss but to simply explore. There was not as many gluten free products back then so TJs to the rescue. Cdc really liked the shephard’s pie. Decided to grab one for old times sake from the refrigerated section the other day and it was good for sure but not great. I even added butter to the top. A product I did not care for several months ago, the steak and ale pies I also revisted. We both enjoyed those much more. It really might be the season though. Here in the NE usa spring has been crazy with some very cool days. This does make heavier things taste better to me. Cdc could not resist those little chocolate truffle eggs, six to a pack in the bakery section, and somehow a raspberry kringle jumped into my cart. The very very best thing about our tjs though is the nature area behind the store right now. Peepers! How I love their song. Best stress buster in the universe and only available for a limited time offer. Right before dusk until a bit after dark. Gonna try to get over to tjs one more time before our season tickets expire. #peeperspeeperspeepers

3 Likes

My favorite TJ product is the mango shave cream that comes in a tube ala toothpaste. I also buy way too many boxes of puff pastry when they have it in stock - usually November until it sells out.

3 Likes

I just tried this. The current, not-frozen version says it serves 3, and in our house it did because one person doesn’t eat much, but it really is just 2 chicken cutlets. But it’s pretty good, if somewhat reminiscent of Chicken McNuggets.

Yes. 2 cutlets. I wouldn’t even suggest it could feed three people. . I don’t know how you cooked it but I’d think microwaving would be a total loser here, though it’s one of the two methods suggested. The sauce is really what makes this thing work for us over toaster-oven-crisped cutlets.

I can’t have caffeine either. The last few years, since retirement, I’ve switched to tea because I like that black, but take my coffee with light cream. I now depend on delivery or Uber for grocery shopping, with the result that the cream always spoiled before it was finished.

I loathe dark roast but used to brew my work thermos with TJ’s medium roast decaf beans. Tiny, cheap burr grinder worked fine. I loved the flavor, which I couldn’t tell apart from caffeinated.

1 Like

Yay: We liked the TJ dark chocolate bar with pink and white available seasonally for Easter

Yay: I also tried TJ lime habanero flour tortillas, these make very good wraps. They seem to have discontinued the spinach wraps I liked, but these are good in a different way.

3 Likes

I like that chocolate bar too. I’m sad that I can’t have any while it’s still Passover. :slightly_frowning_face:

That shave cream is great. My whole family uses it.

1 Like

Three out of four of us really like the TJ solid shampoo bar. Rosemary, tea-tree, coconut, olive, jojoba (lots of food type ingredients). No plastic packaging, and affordable. Very good results.

8 Likes

Anyone else kind of confused by the Hatch Valley Salsa? Is it supposed to be that watery? I have bought three jars of it so far and all three have been more liquidy than most salsas I have purchased in the past. But the flavor profile is pretty good so on the last two bottles I have gotten, I have purchased one of the small cans of Hatch Green Chili and mixed it into the salsa bottle as soon as there was room to do so. The augmented salsa is much better than the watered down original salsa. Now that I have started adding to the TJ Salsa, I wonder if any of you have any other suggestions of items to add to the salsa?

![IMG_3671|523x700](upload://PbF1FOegPxEFAP1k0mP835ePwA.jpeg)

On the other hand, during the Superbowl is a great time to go to Costco…

3 Likes

And those dark chocolate peanut butter cups just blow the Reese’s cups clean out of the water, and I really love Reese’s.

2 Likes

TJ’s dark chocolate PB cups are the best: smooth chocolate, creamy filling with the perfect amount of salt. They are a particular weakness, so I mostly avoid buying them!

I’m not crazy about either the almonds or ginger, though, despite really loving both almonds and ginger. To my taste, the chocolate is too thick on the almonds so the coating:nut ratio is off, and when I tried the ginger, I found the texture was weird compared to regular candied ginger, though it could’ve been that batch.

2 Likes

We’ve loved that stuff for years. I hadn’t considered it watery but of course it could be. Curious what others think.

YAY to the chocolate-dipped Bamba. I find regular Bamba addictive; this is just gilding the lily.

1 Like

Had not noticed these. Will have to watch for them next time I go to TJ’s.

Would you please share? The TJ’s gyro is fine but very oily and expensive.

1 Like

My Trader Joe’s still carries this. We bought it once but it tasted really acrid and burned. Returned. It’s odd because I love the black garlic oil that my local ramen joint drizzles over top of the soup.

1 Like

@lulusmom, so nice to see your name here!

1 Like