Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2021

Thanks for the photo. I believe these gigante beans in sauce did replace the version TJ’s formerly sold in jars. I like these canned ones too though not quite as much. Great pantry item, I agree.

1 Like

Have we talked about their Panettone yet? I love it. I look forward to it every year. I can’t believe how much other ones cost, since TJs sells theirs for about $5 or 6. So good! If I was making it, I’d trade some of those raisins for something else, maybe tiny bits of maraschino cherries, but not a big deal.

1 Like

Yea/meh to the maple espresso tea, which combines black tea, espresso, chicory, and flavorings. With a little sugar, it was OK but better than I expected it to be. Made in Canada, of course.

1 Like

Say it ain’t so! Source?

I paid $16 for a fancy one at TJ Maxx. :woman_facepalming:t2:

I couldn’t resist the “champagne cream” and fancy wrapping.

1 Like

hard to believe, but i found it a bit too rich for my taste. what i really miss is their rice pudding, which i loved and miss.

1 Like

Thanks - I bought one today and am looking forward to enjoying it!

1 Like

About a week ago, it was missing from the shelves, and the two employees I asked said it must be a supply chain thing. So the other day I called, asking if it had come in, and the person answering the phone told me it had been permanently discontinued in October. She looked it up, and said it wouldn’t be coming back. She didn’t know any more about it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I had a slice of the panettone for breakfast this morning with some butter. Really good and not at all dry like some I’ve had. I’m the only one in the family who likes it, so it’s all mine! I froze half for the coming weeks.

4 Likes

The pave is back :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Surprisingly tasty snack. Can’t say I have ever seen halvah at any point at TJoes.

4 Likes

The Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Butter that’s a yay for me apparently did not make it to store shelves in time for Great Pumpkin season. But I nabbed a jar on my last visit, which means this seasonal item wasn’t discontinued. Just late.

3 Likes

This makes me want to destroy something. Tht was the best pudding, only the tapioca was even better, and they cut that off years ago. I’m still not over it.

4 Likes

I hear you. I still haven’t forgiven them for discontinuing the sun-dried tomato crostini, and that was like, 25 years ago!

Apparently part of their business model is to constantly lop off the lowest-selling 10 or fifteen percent of their inventory (or maybe that used to be their policy, anyway). I can’t really get my head around that logic.

1 Like

That sounds exactly like how General Electric operated during Jack Welch’s reign. I grew up in a GE town and heard many stories.

1 Like

I’m still sad they got rid of the hollandaise sauce they sold in the refrigerator. A little doctoring made it almost as good as homemade. It was great for last minute applications. I don’t think most people knew they even sold it because whenever I mention it no one recalls having seen it. I was not surprised when it went away.

1 Like

Their business model seems to include constant variety, which would necessitate cycling many things out.

I’ve learned not to get too attached :joy:

I often wonder why godawful things like syrupy mandarin chicken and uncharacteristically sweet beef with broccoli aren’t gone yet - especially as their asian selections have skewed to much more authentic choices. Then I remember that their core customer base loves that stuff.

6 Likes

YES. That hollandaise was perfect with a little doctoring. Yuge loss for sure.

1 Like

The Trader Joe’s business model limits the number of SKUs to some number under 5,000. Limit on SKUs implies that introducing new product necessitates removing something from shelf, so TJ product buyers and merchandisers have to fight for shelf space. Internal competition thus leads to advantage in dealing with suppliers.

Tight limit on inventory variety means fewer products to order, meaning increased clout with suppliers in meeting TJ price expectation and specs.

(We once knew a brand manager for a well-known adult beverage conglomerate who said Costco does the same when we asked “who’s your best account?” Answer: “same as my worst account.” Us: “Huh?” Him: " Woe be to the brand manager who displeases Costco, let alone loses the Costco account.")

3 Likes

The crispy jalapeno pieces are in slightly different packaging now. The ingredients look the same, though. Can anyone who’s purchased these recently confirm it’s the same product?

1 Like