Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2021

Salmon and seaweed treats.

6 Likes

My dog enjoyed the Advent Calendar for dogs last year.

2 Likes

Another Yea for the butternut squash ravioli. Got it on your recommendation, and we ate it last night with butter, garlic, sage, pepper, vermouth, and a little chicken stock.

2 Likes

That is adorable!

Spotted another seasonal favorite on Saturday: fried olive bites (frozen). Grabbed a couple because these never last long.

1 Like

That sounds like something i would eat.

4 Likes

Nay to Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Spread. Just cracked open a jar I bought this fall. I actually wanted the pumpkin butter that was a seasonal favorite of mine, but pumpkin spread replaced it.

It’s more like a thick glaze than a spread. More sweet than anything else. Might not be bad repurposed as a dessert glaze? Dunno. But it’s not for me.

Pic below so that you can see the orange pumpkin spread (on top of peanut butter on a graham).

4 Likes

Have you eaten the Thai snacking chilies with sesame seeds? They’re…intense.

1 Like

Oh yeah… tears streaming… but couldn’t stop :joy:

4 Likes

I’ve recently discovered the presliced provolone, TJ’s brand. Very tasty, and it fits perfectly on a heated corn tortilla, in order to make a taco. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ with it

6 Likes

YEA: Entertaining Cracker Duo. One is a thin wafer type cracker with cracked pepper; the other is a rough-textured crisp. Both are described as having cheese flavor, but it’s pretty subtle. Anyway, these are good crackers for cheese or pate or anything along those lines. One complaint is that the crumble attrition rate is fairly high.

1 Like

My husband bought and ate those too. He enjoys crying over his food :slight_smile: :blush:

Gave myself a stomach ache :laughing:

I don’t need that much heat in my life!!!

1 Like

A double chocolate yeah. The chocolate covered cherries with liqueur are very good but - the cherries are fairly small and the alcohol can be a bit “raw” but I’m not generally an alcohol fan and overall it’s not particularly strong. They also have chocolate covered brandied dried figs. I was leery of that combination but was talked into trying them and they are very good. Also, while researching them on-line, I found them offered for far more even direct from the company that seems to be the producer - much like the kringles, that are far less from TJ’s than they are directly from O&H. Tastes good and a bargain.

2 Likes

Speaking of chocolate, I just found out yesterday that their Belgian chocolate pudding (in the cold case) has been discontinued after I-don’t-know-how-many years. Loved that stuff – I’m shocked. I guess I’ll actually have to make some pudding.

2 Likes

Weirdly, the box of Scalloped Cracker Trio that I got seems to be all roasted garlic, none of the red pepper or rosemary. Not tragic, since the roasted garlic crackers are really good, but…odd.

Yea to the canned gigante beans in tomato sauce. They’ve been hard to find recently, but I stocked up when I saw them the other day. They’re good over rice or pasta.

Also, YEA to 223, a French Pays d’Oc labelled as Grenache. It’s heartier than most French grenaches, but still light and fruity. “223” is supposedly the number of days it takes to ripen grenache from bud to harvest. I think this is a one-off acquisition.

2 Likes

Are these the gigante beans that were formerly sold in jars? Until a few years ago, if memory serves. I like to amp them up with lemon juice and dried dill. Sometimes I sautée chopped garlic and halved cherry tomatoes in olive oil before adding the beans.

Also enjoy them with greens or salad and spooned over a slice of crusty grilled bread for a take on beans on toast.

These:

I don’t remember the jars for the beans with tomato sauce, but I’ve seen basic cooked gigantes/cannellinis in jars.

3 Likes