Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2021

MEH - Everything Bagel Flavored Kettle Cooked Potato Chips. The oil is canola and/or sunflower, but somehow I detect a slight fishy taste to these chips. Otherwise, they have a good texture and okay flavor. I wouldn’t toss or return them, but won’t buy again…

1 Like

Google says some folks taste fishiness when canola is heated to high temps.

2 Likes

MEH: The seasonal squash soup (refrigerated). The seasoning seems unbalanced; some flavor is way too prominent, in a really unpleasant way.

YEA: Frozen falafel. This is basically the same as their falafel mix (which I like), but pre-made. Super-easy, and they crisp up nicely in the oven. Good for workday evenings when one doesn’t have the energy to mix and fry up a bunch of falafel.

2 Likes

I HAVE read that before, but never experienced it although I have cooked with canola on high heat. It’s a possibility, but now I’m thinking it’s partly the garlic, which seems sharply raw. Perhaps that, combined with the oil…

My grandkids love TJ’s Bambas. The hazelnut is new and very much addicting for the adults too. This flavor new, I think, but my local store is already out of stock and saying they don’t expect more until November. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

A few years ago, TJs swapped out their frozen mini croissants (plain) for ones that didn’t have to thaw/rise overnight. The new ones are not nearly as good, having just reminded myself again at b’fast today. They seem greasier for one. And the inside is soft almost mushy almost raw. Not quite raw, but certainly not the flaky proper cooked laminated dough consistency of a well made croissant. At this point I strongly prefer the almond ones. If only they could make them so the filling doesn’t spill out during baking EVERY TIME.

1 Like

I had an ophthalmologist that sent me a holiday package of Harry and David Pears every year. They were delicious

“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold

Market stall in Lima
Credit: TXMX 2