Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2021

MEH - Everything Bagel Flavored Kettle Cooked Potato Chips. The oil is canola and/or sunflower, but somehow I detect a slight fishy taste to these chips. Otherwise, they have a good texture and okay flavor. I wouldn’t toss or return them, but won’t buy again…

1 Like

Google says some folks taste fishiness when canola is heated to high temps.

2 Likes

MEH: The seasonal squash soup (refrigerated). The seasoning seems unbalanced; some flavor is way too prominent, in a really unpleasant way.

YEA: Frozen falafel. This is basically the same as their falafel mix (which I like), but pre-made. Super-easy, and they crisp up nicely in the oven. Good for workday evenings when one doesn’t have the energy to mix and fry up a bunch of falafel.

2 Likes

I HAVE read that before, but never experienced it although I have cooked with canola on high heat. It’s a possibility, but now I’m thinking it’s partly the garlic, which seems sharply raw. Perhaps that, combined with the oil…

My grandkids love TJ’s Bambas. The hazelnut is new and very much addicting for the adults too. This flavor new, I think, but my local store is already out of stock and saying they don’t expect more until November. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

A few years ago, TJs swapped out their frozen mini croissants (plain) for ones that didn’t have to thaw/rise overnight. The new ones are not nearly as good, having just reminded myself again at b’fast today. They seem greasier for one. And the inside is soft almost mushy almost raw. Not quite raw, but certainly not the flaky proper cooked laminated dough consistency of a well made croissant. At this point I strongly prefer the almond ones. If only they could make them so the filling doesn’t spill out during baking EVERY TIME.

1 Like

I had an ophthalmologist that sent me a holiday package of Harry and David Pears every year. They were delicious

3 Likes

Yay to the butternut squash ravioli from Italy. Find them in the refrigerator case. This previously got a yay back in the 2017 thread.

Simple ingredients and no spices, pumpkin-y or otherwise, allow me to flavor my finished dish any way I damn well please. Freedom from our pumpkin spice overlords!

Here’s what I made when I tried these ravioli.

9 Likes

Did not enjoy their sweet and spicy pickles. They were very very sweet and spicy. And it looks from the ingredients that they did they spicy w/capsaicin, according to my H, and not with actual chili peppers. The little red floaties are dehydrated bell pepper. If you like this type of thing, we have found Famous Dave’s version to be much tastier.

2 Likes

Didn’t enjoy these as is but crumbled in the fp and added into plain breadcrumbs made for a tasty chicken dry coating for cutlets.

6 Likes

Meanwhile I ate them straight out of the box - both times - while my mouth burned :sweat_smile:

Clever idea on breading!

2 Likes

It’s that time of year. Beemster Royaal Grand Cru. This month at TJ’s, while it lasts – it’s a very tasty 12-month-aged Gouda. Kind of a waay better (see what I did there?) version of Old Amsterdam.

5 Likes

YEA: The return of seasonal favorites. Blue cheese stuffed Halkidiki olives, scalloped cracker trio, and turkey pot pie were all in the store yesterday.

2 Likes

The almond croissants only leak 1/2 the time in our house :grin:. Almost as good though is the almond Danish pastry cake (in with the fresh baked goods). For a real treat, it’s even better heated.

1 Like

Didn’t enjoy these as is

They were gone for a while and just reappeared in our store, and they’re spicier than they were before. Originally they were pretty mild (but still had a lot of jalapeno flavor), which made them pleasant to munch on. This version is a little too spicy for me to enjoy much on their own. Too bad, though they’re still good as an accent in other foods (and I like the idea of using them as breadcrumbs!).

We didn’t care for the texture out of the can as much as we thought we would since we do enjoy crispy onions. But I really try my best not to waste food. Also, whenI pulsed the lot in the fp, the oil contained in the product made the crumbs rather moist (there’s that word!) so adding add’l plain dry breadcrumbs to it was needed and worked out fine. You could def taste the heat.

Gingerbread sandwich cookies. I didn’t like them as much as I wanted to. Love gingerbread and when I saw these I thought of the Der Dutchman restaurant in Sarasota. They make a really good gingerbread whoopie pie that is worth the price of an airline ticket.
Its probably just as well.
And I found an Advent calendar for cats, my sister will be very pleased.

3 Likes

What does an Advent calendar for cats contain? Toys?