Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2020

My favorite way to make guacamole!

Another idea for your avocado surplus: Way before avocado toast was a thing, I used to make “smashacado” by lightly mashing a small avocado half onto hearty bread of choice, dressed with coarse salt and perhaps a dash of hot sauce.

And now I’m craving smashacado for lunch.

2 Likes

In San Francisco, Dan Armor has been available more or less continuously of late. It used to be a holiday item, but seems to have evolved into a perennial.

In the summer of 1981, after my sophomore year of college, I was working two nights a week as a dishwasher and living on the tips while banking my wages–in other words, living on practically no money. And all that summer the grocery store next door had avocados at 10/$1. Cheese was way out of my price range, so I pretty much lived on avocados smooshed onto tortillas.

5 Likes

I was thinking of making a hard boiled egg and avocado salad for work lunch tomorrow. Too bad I don’t have any lox to add…

2 Likes

Following up, the pear cider is even better than the apple, IMO.

2 Likes

My local TJ’s has the Dan Armor almost all year round the past 2-3 years. The apple is good, but I too think the pear is even better.

I really like the TJ’s frozen Korma Fish Curry and the Fettuccine Alfredo with Grilled Chicken.

2 Likes

Thanks for highlighting!

MEH+ to the (new?) Cuban Style Citrus Garlic Bowl. To me, this version of arroz con pollo is too salty, yet bland. As 11oz is a skimpy amount for what is intended as a whole meal, I added some vegetable leftovers, plus a buttered roll.

2 Likes

Definite nay on TJ’s High Fiber Multigrain Bread–dry and tasteless.

New to me, tasted as one of their samples a few weeks ago, then purchased on Saturday:

Big YEA!

Also, just tried the Everything But The Elote seasoning, on eggs, and I think it may be the same seasoning that’s on those dippers, but I’m not sure because I have a bad cold right now and my taste buds may be off.

So a Yea with the caveat that I have to try it again.

3 Likes

I am enjoying these.

1 Like

Back in stock after a long hiatus

6 Likes

Could tell us where you found this? I was told at the Burlington MA store that it was no longer available.
Thanks!

1 Like

This is in San Francisco, North Beach TJs. They used to carry it, then stopped for about 2 years, but now it is back.

1 Like

Thanks…I will check again to see if its back over here too.

1 Like

Ooh. Fingers crossed for coffee next.

I found the elote dippers (and the regular ones) to be waaaaay too salty - and I otherwise love salt!

But I did - very skeptically - buy the seasoning, and it’s delicious! Just have to figure out what to put it on (other than corn).

2 Likes

Some possibilities:

I’m going to buy some tomorrow!

2 Likes

omg i love that they’re salty! I’m a salt-hound too.

I put that stuff on my eggs.
i think it would be great on steamed veggies, baked potato, even roasted chicken…
inside quesadillas!