Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2019

Caveat re the strawberry rhubarb pie. I kept it at room temperature, a mistake. After 5 days with the inside temp around 65, and a third of it consumed, it spawned considerable mold.

YEA to the refrigerated ravioli filled with Brussels sprouts, caramelized onion, ricotta, and parmesan. The onions aren’t truly caramelized, but still flavorful. A dollop of.pesto is ideal, but the ravioli are very good even when unsauced.

2 Likes

YEA to Run Riot wine, a central coast red. It seems to be mostly syrah, and it’s not as big as some of their other blends. $4.99.

1 Like

Gucci says yea to Trader Joe’s paper bags :grinning:

20 Likes

Persians have the couch potato nature that is ideal for paper bag meditation. There’s no Zen to that of the Oriental breeds. I one of my Siamese or Oriental Shorthairs had explored that bag, he’d have sat up as he exited, sticking his head through the handle, panicked, and tore through the house like a schizophrenic caped crusader, leaving a trail of breakage, until the handle came apart. It happened a LOT more than once!

7 Likes

Yes, Gucci loves all types of boxes and bags, or any other nook and cranny that he can squeeze into :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

I see

traps-cat-500

:smile:

7 Likes

5 Likes

MEH+ to the clamshell of eight Cinnamon Nut Rugelach. The cream cheese dough and walnuts are good, but I was surprised that the major flavor is raspberry. Yup, reading the ingredient list, raspberry base follows walnuts , with cinnamon as the final ingredient. Beside the stacks of clamshells were larger plastic tubs of Raspberry Rugelach, at a lower price per pound. The ones I bought aren’t bad, but have NO discernible cinnamon taste. It’s not the first time I’ve had TJ’s branded bakery items with unexpected flavors. For example, the Almond Apricot Tart I had years ago was utterly overwhelmed by candied citron, an incongruous and unexpected addition. I need to remember to examine.the ingredient list before buying.

4 Likes

YEA to the refrigerated dry sea scallops, $13.99/#. They are marshmallow-sized. I kept the unupened, shrink-wrapped package on ice until the following day. There was just a very slight fishy odor when opened, which largely vanished after rinsing and patting dry. They were delicious when oven-seared.

YEA to the 79¢ Ataulfo mangoes. I have bought 5 of them in recent weeks - which is more fresh mango than I have had in my 7 decades on Earth. At the time I tried them, ages ago, I didn’t know the signs of a ripe mango and suspect I sliced them too early. The flesh near the pit stung my tongue in the way a pineapple core does. Recently, when my Misfits Market shipment included a Tommy Atkins mango, I was guided by a Youtube tutorial and enjoyed it once it was ripe. Two more came last week but aren’t ready, so when I saw that the TJ’s Ataulfoes were at peak ripeness, I snagged them, and am enjoying them as is, no topping or baking or other futzing about.

4 Likes

Yes! I just discovered these a few months ago. Much better (and cheaper) than the frozen ones they stock.

Only issue was using them all up quickly for a party of 1 - I didn’t think they’d last more than a day or two in the fridge.

Single here, too. The smallest package was $11.25. I cooked them all, splitting it, so I warmed up the other portion the next day.

1 Like

YEA to the refrigerated dry sea scallops, $13.99/#

Where are those in the store? I don’t think I’ve seen them at my store (Masonic, in San Francisco).

YAY: Key Lime Tea Cookies. Nice lime flavor, not too sweet.

MEH: Cold Brew Latte popsicles. Kind of watery, not as much coffee flavor as I had hoped for.

Wine from TJs, of course

In my store in Massachusetts, they are next to the cuts of fresh beef, pork, and chicken.

I like the Cold Brew Latte popsicles, mostly because they’re not as calorific as coffee ice cream would be. Most of the coffee ice creams I’ve had aren’t terribly strong in terms of coffee flavor–the dairy probably mutes that. I’m sure a coffee sorbet would be super-intense (like the Italian granitas are).

1 Like

Tried the Farm Stand juice yesterday. It’s pretty good, though my taste is for something a bit sweeter and not so vegetal. Tasted more like the second ingredient (cucumber) than the first (pineapple). FWIW, my wife tried it and liked it a lot.

2 Likes

At my nyc store, they’re right by the fresh/already defrosted salmon - same general area as raw chicken and meat.

In a “neo-retro” vein, juices like this can make good molded salads. A packet of gelatin dissolved in 4 oz hot water, plus 12 oz of the juice, add chopped or shredded vegetables and fruit when it starts to thicken. Remember that raw pineapple, melon, kiwi, and a few others prevent gelling.

The coffee mochi actually has great coffee mochi- I haven’t bought them recently, great coffee flavor to them and not bad for calories at all.