Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2019

I am hoping this is a Yay-has anyone tried it?

Please report back!

1 Like

I did! It’s not spicy, (and I’m a wimp) so you might want to add harissa or whatever. I actually used a medium tofu instead of eggs and was really happy with it, definitely needs some bread for soaking up the extra sauce.
For $2 i feel like it’s a good value, would cost about as much for ingredients to make myself

4 Likes

Thanks for the info. I wondered if I might need to add a little something to it.

Not officially shakshuka: I use their wonderful Greek eggplant with tomatoes, in the purple can, plus thin strips of salami, as a bed for the eggs.

3 Likes

You don’t have to, but it’s probably great with the feta. And you could always just lick the bowl if there’s no bread or naan at home :wink:

For $2 we’ll be giving the Shakshuka a try and think of it as a “starter” mix. We definitely require heat and always have plenty of ways to add it!

1 Like

Not a feta fan but a little spice would be on the list. If it comes to licking the bowl
there will NOT be pictures!

1 Like

Not to discourage anyone from licking the bowl, but TJ’s frozen naan is really good :wink:

4 Likes

Rats, I forgot to grab a bag of shakshuka to stash in the freezer when I was at TJ’s the other day. Conveniently, they do carry inexpensive jars of a tasty harissa which would likely complement the shakshuka nicely.

2 Likes

YAY: Simply Nutty bars. Got the dark chocolate, nuts, & sea salt flavor. Heavy on the nuts & chocolate, light on the boring stuff. Nice snack to keep at the office.

NAY: The layout of the Masonic store–specifically, the flower/plant display right at the entrance. Some people feel compelled to stop (with carts) and look at the plants the second they enter the store, making a sadly effective roadblock.

NAY: People who leave their carts in the middle of an aisle. Seriously? I can’t even imagine how it’s possible for anyone to think this is okay.

3 Likes

MEH: single non-organic avocados have gone from $0.99 to $1.69 in two weeks. I guess there’s a global shortage.

Really?? TJs seems to pride themselves on keeping produce prices stable- here in nyc iceburg was freaking $3 for a while everywhere yet TJs kept theirs at $1.79 which i was glad to see.
And i swear the cruciferous crunch blend i love has been the same price for a few years now

Their avocado prices vary. Never much more than the current high, but that’s a pretty big swing from 99c.

Well huh. Interesting since the rest of it doesn’t that i’ve noticed. I always just get avocado from the street cart since his are always ripe and $1

1 Like

The Unexpected Cheddar remains my favorite cheese… just had some after a long gap, and it’s sooooo good. Halfway between cheddar and Parmesan, with all the goodness.

Also a continuing YEA for the fennel - about $3 for two big bulbs.

NAY for the inexpensive organic beets in a bag - I used half, the other half were unusable two days later. I’ll stick to buying them by the pound elsewhere.

And a resounding YEA for the Zhoug - I hope everyone else gets as into it as I am, so they never have to pull it! It’s a green chutney substitute, flavor bomb into anything that might benefit from some spices and/or cilantro(soup, stew, beans, and as a marinade/flavor paste for proteins), and all-round super condiment.

They have a new organic grass-fed milk at my store, slightly more expensive. Seems a bit richer than the standard organic milk so far - I bought it hoping for better yogurt, let’s see.

1 Like

That is the layout at my NC store. Aside from the people stopping on a dime there is often staff with a cart filled with flowers restocking. It is a mess. But I do love the flowers and TJ usually has the best price and a very good selection.

4 Likes

I love the zhoug too but need to get more imaginative about how I use it. Love the idea of using it in a marinade! Was also thinking in a potato salad…

2 Likes

Nay on the Organic Italian Artisan Striped Garganelli Pasta. The seam at the center took forever to go from raw to al dente, and by that time the ends were mush.

2 Likes

A seasonal bakery shelf item, the strawberry rhubarb pie is a YEA. The crust isn’t flaky, but IS tender and has some flavor. The filling is fresh-tasting and delicious.

YEA to the White Wheat Bread. This has flavorful but mild, soft slices any child will like in their PBJs and grilled cheese. White whole wheat flour, like that sold.by.King Arthur, means this is a 100% whole grain loaf.

MEH to the long, rectangular pizza crust. Two per package, each piece is a base for two personal size pizzas. . It’s a thickish crust, medium dense crumb, but has little flavor of its own.

NAY for the Bacon Cheddar Ranch dip. The sour cream has a gummy texture from the stabilizers used. The bacon bits and shreds of cheese are barely detectable, other than as part of the saltiness. I will use it in making creamed spinach.

2 Likes