Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2019

It’s back!!!

7 Likes

I got some of that a few weeks ago. Didn’t love it. I grow my own peppers and make dozens of hot sauces, pickled/salted, and fully fermented. It tastes like only part of the peppers were harvested when fully ripe, and the majority had just turned orange, but not a fully, deeply red and ripe.

1 Like

I have found their plain panettone to be excellent the past few years. Haven’t seen it yet this year.

1 Like

YAY: Horseradish-chive ridged potato chips. The flavor is fairly subtle, but distinctive. Would definitely get these again.

2 Likes

These are good. Really crisp and buttery with a dot of fruity stuff in the center.

3 Likes

YEA to the imported Danish Butter Cookies. There’s a tiny bit of coconut in them. Judging by the shapes of the cookies, they may be from the same place as those in the ubiquitous shorter, wider, deep blue tin. But they seem to be crisper and tastier, and the tin is definitely more attractive.

One of my favorites.

YEA: Two new items I picked up for pre-Thanksgiving dinner snacks. Step Up to the Snack Bar Mix surprisingly flavorful, with a nice mix of salty, slightly sweet, and wasabi. Cheese Biscuit Duo is light and crunchy, with good cheese flavors.

YEA: Angus Beef Chili (refrigerated soups/prepared foods section). Nice flavor (if you like cumin), not super-spicy but with a pleasant heat. Bonus points for using pinto beans (TJ’s canned chili uses kidney beans, which are…not good).

Tried it and liked it – good value.

2 Likes

After two small wedges of the Beemster Grand Cru which seemed fine for salt to me (and I’m somewhat sensitive to salt in general!), I opened a third wedge yesterday, and found it to be quite a bit saltier. If it were all like that, I wouldn’t care for it much.

Cheese doesn’t seem to be that consistent to me in general, even in a semi-mass-produced product like this; I’ve also had Old Amsterdam that ranged from almost flavorless, to perfect, to funky or sock-y, and have found pretty wide flavor variances between batches of 4-year Black Diamond cheddar. But as you said, this is within a type of cheese – Roquefort or other blues are on the whole much saltier than cheddars or Goudas IME. Unless we’re talking about something like Cracker Barrel or Boursin, there are going to be variances between batches, even though they all fall within a range for their type.

2 Likes

TJ sushi rolls recalled. Check news report in case you purchased.

1 Like

I get it every year. It is a great product for the price, which is a total steal. Lots of raisins though. You have to like them, or not mind picking them out.

I just bought the caramelized onion cheddar (they were sampling) and it was really tasty.

2 Likes

I love the scalloped edge cracker trio they have this time of year. A sleeve each of: red pepper, rosemary and plain.

2 Likes

I like these too, but they are verrrryyyy crumbly

Thanks. My nyc store apparently got just one shipment, and sold out citywide before I thought to pick some up.

But I managed to get a few by calling the store near my aunt just before I went up for thanksgiving.

Belatedly realized this is probably the same as Sabatino’s Truffle Zest on Amazon, which is priced about the same per oz.

Also picked up a few of the Black Truffle Sauce in the same section.

Will try soon!

Yeah, come to think of it they make a mess unless you’re eating them over a plate or something.

They have carried the caramelized onion cheddar for well over 15 years. It’s always on my TJ’s shopping list.

1 Like

The TJ’s Chili Onion Crunch is pretty mediocre in my opinion. The original Lao Gan Ma spicy chili crisp is really good. Blows away the TJ’s product. I’ve been using it for decades. tried the TJ’s Chili Onion Crunch yesterday, and after one taste, threw the jar away.
Lao%20Gan%20Ma%20spicy%20chili%20crisp

But there is a Japanese product that is even better than the Lao Gan Ma spicy chili crisp. It’s a Crunchy Garlic Topping by S&B. (Also called S&B Layu Chili Oil with Crunchy Garlic) This stuff is amazing! It’s not as spicy as the Chinese Spicy Chili Crisp, but a depth of flavor that is addicting. It’s a smaller jar, but at a good price. So good I can eat it plain, or over noodles or rice. I like to crisp steam broccoli or other veggies, then toss with a spoon or two the Crunchy Garlic Topping, a little soy sauce or tamari, and if needed a little cayenne powder. Some black bean sauce added is very good too. A great side dish, or even a main meal. Also great added to a decent commercial ramen.

I read that the BPA warning is generic for legal reasons, because of old jar tops Japanese producers used to use, but haven’t in over a decade. But California still requires the label. From Wikipedia- “Between 1998 and 2003, the canning industry voluntarily replaced its BPA-containing epoxy resin can liners with BPA-free polyethylene terephthalate (PET) in many of its products.”
A link to an article.
Japan listened to BPA warnings

A link to an article I just found.
Epicurious - “The 5 Best Chile Crisp Sauces You Can Buy Online”

5 Likes

I want to be able to find these later. Thanks HO!