Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2019

Nay to TJ’s Chicken Enchiladas Verde from the refrigerated section.

How bad could they be as a base for a quick weeknight meal, I thought? Answer: Bad.

The enchilada filling is a chicken and cheese mush. The filling reminded us of a condensed-cream-of-something-unidentifiable soup.

2 Likes

Chili Onion Crunch - multiple YEAs!

Mostly solids topped with half an inch of oil.
Not too spicy, but delicious, addictive, grey texture. Good thing it’s not salty enough on its own - or I’d eat it right out of the bottle.

Completely different than Laoganma Chilli Crisp, of which I originally thought this might be a copycat.

5 Likes

For anyone who likes TJ’s puff pastry, it was back in stock at my local store - Shrewsbury, NJ. I bought 10 boxes.

3 Likes

What area are you in?

The milk chocolate lovers bar was discontinued a while back, and the trader Joe’s dark chocolate lovers bar, the 85% one, is for the moment unavailable because of an unspecified quality control issue. Employee I spoke to said she didn’t know what the issue was, and there was no recall.

I don’t know if this is related, but at the beginning of July I had an allergic reaction to that bar, which is funny since I’ve been eating it several times a week for years And my tree nut allergy (among others) had never been triggered

1 Like

Nyc

Any good new apples at Trader Joe’s right now? I’m not a big fan of their produce, but I’ve seen some apple recommendations here. I’m in the San Francisco Bay Area if that matters. Thanks!

TJ’s started carrying Snapdragon apples in 2017, but as I recall, they aren’t stocked until late November. They are very crisp, juicy, and sweet-tart. IMO, they leave Honeycrisps in the dust.

2 Likes

Chili Onion Crunch. Found it. Bought it. Tried it. I’m sure it’s going to find a use in our household but it’s just on the edge of too spicy for me straight out of the jar.

2 Likes

I don’t shop at TJs very often but what I did find on a recent visit is their “Simpler Wines” in cans. The Bellini is delightful.

1 Like

Those bars haven’t been in the store for awhile. We must have shopped a month ago, and they were not on the shelves. We were also told it was something to do with labeling. But I am so sad. I love the taste, the bitterness, the decided un-sweetness of it. I think they recommended I get a Valhrona 85 or 90% instead, and even though this is a highly reputed company, I didn’t like it half as much. It is also extremely rare to find a chocolate at TJ’s that doesn’t have some warning about nuts on the package. Which was a draw for us, since we have a nut allergic kid. I hope they take care of the issue and bring back the bar soon!!! The last time they had an issue with my favorite sour gummies, they never came back. I’m sorry for your allergic flare up. I can only hope it was minor, resolved quickly, and not related to the chocolate.

Thanks! I was able to manage my reaction with some meds I had on hand.

Yeah, they also recommended the Valrona as a replacement, but I agree it’s not as tasty.

1 Like

Oh my gosh, I’m so glad you mentioned these. A friend of mine had raved about them, but I held back due to the high price tag.

1 Like

Now I need to get this!

Is it all butter?

A total surprise yea for the pumpkin mini ice cream cones with a thin ginger glaze.

The sweet corn tamales are always a resounding YEA for me.

2 Likes

Yes it is.

2 Likes

Very cool about the all butter puff pastry. I’ve never seen it before anywhere @MsBean.

A definite TJ’s no is their dry cat food. I don’t know a cat that likes it.Even even mixed with other dry cat food. They’ll eat the other kibble around it, cleverly avoiding the TJ’s stuff.

2 Likes

Thank you @Rooster for recommending the awesome mini pumpkin ginger cones! These are the perfect little bite when you want something sweet. Mrs. P just picked up 4 boxes.
Also, thank you everyone for recommending the chili onion crunch. This is very good as well. I just thought that it would have been drier and not drowning in oil.

4 Likes