Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2019

Chili Onion Crunch! I just bought some as well. Intrigued. How do you plan to use it?

1 Like

Ooh thanks!

I plan on eating it right out of the jar :smiley: I think it would go good with pizza, or any type of protein, and maybe even ice cream for a sweet and savory contrast.

2 Likes

I guess how you use it depends on your heat/spice tolerance. I’m about a third of the way through my first jar and have used it to liven up cold pasta salad and on a cream-cheesed cracker. Ice cream??? I don’t think so. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Thanks for these ideas!

I am one of those chileheads who might try an unconventional use for the Chili Onion Crunch. I’ll share if I come up with anything worthy.

2 Likes

Mine had less than half an inch of oil on top - maybe it just got shaken up on the way home?

I’m also on jar 3 of the Calabrian chile hot sauce… need t stock up before they decide it was “seasonal”

2 Likes

It’s not as bad if you stir it around. The oil gets absorbed.

I went crazy with the chili onion crunch tonight and added it to smoked country ribs, sweet potato fries, and roasted delicata squash :grinning:

5 Likes

[checking expiration date to prepare for imminent hoarding]

Speaking of spicy. I’ve been loving the frozen Thai spicy eggplant. Less oily, fresher, and spicier than the equivalent from an entry level Thai restaurant.

2 Likes

It’s already “fermented” in the title so I’m goong with it :rofl:

2 Likes

Hi @saregama! How do you use TJ’s Calabrian chile hot sauce? I snagged a jar of that too.

(None to be had when folks first posted about it here so I grabbed a jar when I saw it a couple days ago.)

1 Like

How do I not is the better question :joy:

It’s not super spicy (I have decent tolerance but I don’t enjoy my mouth burning, for context).

So it’s good as a condiment with anything (eggs, meat, pasta, burger, dumplings, roasted veg). In Greek yogurt as a dip. As a marinade. As a dipping sauce with baked/fried apps. And so on.

While we’re at it, Zhoug is my other favorite thing at TJ. Similar uses. Super flavorful. I don’t make green chutney anymore, and have used it countless times as a chicken marinade, fish wet rub, dip with or without yogurt/sour cream, and all around flavor booster while cooking or to finish.

3 Likes

Mine too! This really helps to know. Thank you so much for the tips.

That zhoug is surprisingly handy. One thing I did at the end of corn and tomato season was steam ears of corn lightly, cut the kernels from cobs, and combine in a bowl with halved cherry tomatoes and a couple dollops of zhoug to taste. Instant corn and tomato salad.

3 Likes

I second all of Saregama’s suggestions.The other day we had fried chicken sandwiches with chile mayo and they were really good. My son is a vegetarian and likes carbonara-esque pasta dishes with lots of egg, greens (usually braised kale) and cheese, and the chiles really make the flavor pop. It’s good with chicken, and Giada’s recipe for pasta with sausage, corn, mascarpone and Calabrian chiles is rich but very tasty. The Food Network has several recipes if you do a search.

2 Likes

we cut a few tblsp of it with sour cream for steaks.

1 Like

A few pizza places in the SFBA put Calabrian chili oil on their tables. It’s great on red or white slices.

3 Likes

Calabrian chiles + pizza is one of my favorite spicy food pairings. Before now, I have only tried the dried flakes. So this sounds especially good to me.

2 Likes

Meanwhile… my TJ is out of the Calabrian chile stuff. The staff member I asked said it was seasonal and done, but the manager said it’s just out of stock, will be back in Nov.

The Chile Onion crisp was still there, so I stocked up. (Of course it’s not by the hot sauces).

1 Like

Puff pastry and pie crust stocks appeared to be dwindling at my store.

I still remember when they told me the stuff was done for the season… a week before thanksgiving… so I take no chances.

2 Likes

Solid spice level and lemongrass flavor with some dried lime leaves in the mix.

5 Likes