trader joe’s: yay/nay/meh 2022

Big NAY! to TJ Cauliflower Crisps.

I had liked their Beet Crisps a while ago, but as is TJ’s wont, they discontinued these. I tried the Cauliflower Crisps as a substitute. Absolutely flavorless, so won’t repeat. I hate throwing food out but I might not be able to finish this bag.

They have vegan Thai curries in the frozen section, which are new. But it’s interesting to me that they decided to make them vegan first.

(All cuisines have some things that only taste good fresh, and thing that reheat fine from frozen…)

1 Like

Chocolate Chip Dunkers – big YAY. Nice crunch and coating of dark chocolate. Serving size is two but one is genug for me. :grinning:

2 Likes

NAAAAYYYYY! Soft Baked Snickerdoodles Flavor nothing like snickerdoodles, outside kind of slimy…just weird. They’ve sold these for years so I guess I’m the odd one.

1 Like

Boo to Trader Joe’s or their coffee suppliers. The Bay Blend Ultra Dark Roast bean has been discontinued. I am beyond disappointed.
If you know the blend and can make a recommendation that might be similar, I would greatly appreciate it.
And I will do a little googling to see who the supplier is. :frowning_face: :coffee:

I don’t know the supplier, but I have been very happy with Coffee Bean Direct (they’re on Amazon Prime and will also price match is you want to order directly from them on their website).

2 Likes

Has anyone tried the guajillo salsa? If so, is it quite garlicky?

YEA for both the Wildberry Cheesecake Ice Cream and the Cheeseburger Burrito. Neither the berry puree nor the cheesecake bits are prominent but the overall flavor and texture are rich and dense. The burrito has a generous amount of ground beef tidbits, with cheddar melted throughout. The amount of vegetables and condiments is small. I dipped the burrito into ketchup as I ate it.

4 Likes

Some YEAs from me:
Oak Smoked Salmon in the 3oz package - lovely and a great price.
Oven Baked Cheese Bites with Black Truffle - this is part of the trufflepalooza I didn’t see last time.
Buffalo almonds - I didn’t like them at first bite but I couldn’t stop eating them… like those crispy Thai chillies a while back.

4 Likes

Correction: The wildberry cheesecake ice cream had gotten soft by the time I got it home and into the freezer. Apparently the fruit puree and cheesecake bits sank. The bottom half of the pint had more flavor.

YEA for the Impossible “Chicken” Nuggets. Frozen, fully cooked. Reheated in the oven, they are totally convincing in appearance, texture, and taste. Not that nuggets are anything people crave. As an omnivore who’s always game for vegetarian food that tastes like animal protein, I was curious to investigate how far the chicken version of Impossible Meat has come.

6 Likes

Finally tried the frozen Misal Curry that @Saregama recommended, and I loved it.

5 Likes

I am so glad you liked the Misal Curry too. This is one of my favourites and a freezer stock up staple for me. If they ever discontinue it I will be very bummed.

4 Likes

I haven’t seen in near me in a while… have to look again

1 Like

That ice cream looks damn good. I will have to bite the bullet and get a pint (or two).

FYI, I just found out that two items have been discontinued recently:

First is Coffee Rio – coffee candy they’ve had since forever. (Full name: “Coffee Rio Original Roast”). Since it’s not a TJ exclusive item, I assumed it would be available elsewhere. It is (now known as “Coffee Caramels”), but is considerably more expensive elsewhere (like more than double) – same thing at the manufacturer’s site, but add a large minimum quantity and very expensive shipping.

The second item, I’m not sure of the name – they’re those triangular wafer cookies sold as an accompaniment for ice cream, and have many paper-thin crispy layers. I think that one came under the TJ brand.

As a vegetarian who hadn’t had a chicken nugget in… probably 20 years, and wasn’t even a huge fan as a kid, I snagged some on a whim and they were perfect with waffle fries and green beans for dinner on a thoroughly crappy day. I’ve only been a vegetarian for 4 years, and the explosion of decent meat/dairy imitation products even since then is insane. I told my wife to not let me buy any more bags haha.

5 Likes

Has anyone tried the Ube mochi pancake and waffle mix yet? The Arlington MA store was overflowing with them. I love that sticky texture from mochi. Spring onion has been branching out lately and tried Korean gimbop for the first time…he’s been showing an interest in Asian food. I wonder if he’d like this.

Not something that would appeal to me, but if YOU don’t know whether or not your son would like Ube pancakes, for $3.99, it’s worth a shot, no?

1 Like

That’s not really helpful. I’m not a big fan of trying something and then throwing it away or returning it. Thanks though.

1 Like

Meh - sparkling teas with fruit juice. The one I’m siping is white tea with pomegranate. Interesting, because the juice add is very light. The 8 1/2 oz can only has 10 cal. Otoh, although it doesn’t say so, I could swear it is boozy. Lightly, like a hard cider. I keep looking at the can to confirm, and hoping it’s not, as my 16 y.o. sips along with me. But maybe that’s just an odd result of carbonating tea.

Nay - the flour tortillas we bought because the sell by date was still 2 days off, brought it home to put away, and for the first time saw all the mold already on them. TJs has a way with the short shelf life. We have experienced similar with a half dozen or more products.

3 Likes