trader joe’s: yay/nay/meh 2022

@digga the Ube Pancakes are great and do not require any interest in Asian food or even Ube to appreciate.

Basically a light purple pancake with subtle almond paste like scent and flavor. (think filling in almond croissants)

6 Likes

I had that issue, too, very recently. On the jicama sticks, they put that darn info on the BOTTOM of the package. Best buy dates should be obvious!

2 Likes

How disappointed about the Coffee Rio. Good candy, reasonably priced.

@digga……I used the mix to make Ube waffles, which were nice and crispy and, of course, purple! They’re a bit sweet and tasted mildly coconut-y to me. Bought the mix on impulse, and will likely buy again.

6 Likes

(post deleted by author)

We made them this morning and liked them. I agree they taste mostly of coconut.

2 Likes

Had my first stone fruit sighting a week ago–got a dozen Spring Flame peaches which are ripening up nicely. Very juicy and aromatic. Got mine at Los Gatos (San Jose). They also had apricots and watermelons.

3 Likes

The food shouldn’t be moldy and still on their shelves, and still be before the sell by date. I have a love/hate with TJs. They have a lot of great products, but the tortillas, the milk, the cucumbers, all have an absolutely pathetic shelf life. Then there are the items like the frozen croissants, which after sitting in your freezer for 2 months maybe just don’t rise anymore. And finally the items that you grow attached to, only for them to stop selling them for eternity. Those are all pain points for me that I wish they’d address.

1 Like

Maybe better placed here

1 Like

Maybe another good place for it. But also a direct response to a post and response about products being nay due to short shelf life.

I tried the Fish fingers and Chicken Nuggets (notice a theme…) for the first time and enjoyed both.

Has anyone seen either version of Scallion Pancakes in their regions lately? They’re mia by me, thinking they may have cycled them out for a while. The Kati Pockets have also disappeared.

The Japchae seems to have been a brief test appearance.

The Crispy Jalapeño Pieces continue to be a favorite.

1 Like

I saw both of the scallion pancakes a week ago in WA state. Bought the one I hadn’t tried yet. Korean I think… Otoh, the dark chocolate lover’s bar was MIA for about 2 months before it also returned last week TG.

1 Like

Nay…. Big time: Shepherd’s Pie. Picked this up for a quick dinner. I’m not a Shepherd’s Pie expert but this was very disappointing. Very little flavor and it was at least 60% mashed potatoes, if not more. As I understand it Shepherd’s Pie is essentially beef stew with a mashed potato topping. This was mashed potatoes and a search for beef stew somewhere underneath.

3 Likes

The British would call that a poor excuse for a cottage pie. (Cottage pie has beef, shepherd’s pie has lamb.).

2 Likes

Hmmm. So they even got that wrong! But someone needs to correct Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherd's_pie

I don’t think cottage pie is a familiar concept to Americans, who pretty universally refer to it as shepherd’s pie. I can’t answer as to whether many Brits actually use them interchangeably, but I do know our resident Mancunian Harters makes the distinction.

2 Likes

We have them in AVL

1 Like

Harters! I miss him from chowhound

@wholetthedogsout He posts here, but obviously not about TJ’s…

Heh. Go figure. I have lit a few flares but no responses yet. People be busy. No tjs in England.