Tortilla - to onion or not to onion, that is the question

4 Likes

I’m always pro onion, but is this true in England,
Mr. H?
Do they eat North American style tortillas over where you are?

My brother in law is Spanish. The first time I tasted tortilla was at his parents home in Mallorca. He cooked it with onion, so that’s how we do it. In fact, we never vary from that meal - the omelette and a salad made from just lettuce, onion and tomato, with a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice and a couple of dashes of Tabasco.

Not just England but, generally in the UK, tortillas and other Tex-Mex stuff usually occupy a shelf or two in the supermarket “foreign foods” aisle, along with Indian/East Asian/Middle Eastern/Italian. Stuff is generally the Old El Paso brand. It’s not food I’m keen on - which is fairly unusual for me as I like a lot of regional American food.

2 Likes

(Almost) EVERYTHING is better with onion! :grin:

2 Likes

I do prefer no-onion, but I wouldn’t turn down tortilla just because it had some :grin:

1 Like

Bottom line, this is a Spanish Omelette, so if, where it originated wants to ban onions in its prep, who are we to bark?

1 Like

When has everyone anywhere any recipe originates ever agreed on a single recipe :joy:

3 Likes

Onion Nation rises to demand acceptance!

1 Like

I’ve lived in Texas all my life and never, ever buy old El Paso, just not a representative of real Tex-Mex. Please don’t judge Tex-Mex on this “food.”

5 Likes

I most often have had it without onion, in barcelona and madrid as well as spanish restaurants here in nyc, although it’s been a long time since i had some now. I do recall one tapas place in barcelona that had the choice of with or without onions.

I’m not passionate either way but have to say i reapect those that are, i am envious of a passionate local food culture with such long held traditions.

2 Likes

I lived in Barcelona, have been back to Spain several times now, north and south, and have never had a tortilla de patata without onions. never here, in the US at Spanish restaurants, either…

Harters, you’re not referring to these potato tortillas as Tex Mex, are you? You’re speaking of tortillas - made of corn masa or flour - that are used for tacos or enchiladas, correct? I would call those Mexican, originally, as opposed to Tex Mex., but not Spanish in origin at all.

2 Likes

Correct, mc

And thanks for the indication that they are Mexican not Tex Mex. I can only plead the ignorance of a foreigner. There are interpretations of Tex Mex in the UK, no doubt fuelled by Britons eating it in chain restaurants while on Florida holidays but genuine Mexican food is a rarity ( I’ve never eaten it).

4 Likes

They are both. Also Cal-Mex, Arizona-Mex, etc., since Mexico obviously used to be much bigger and the food and language and culture remained even after the government changed.

1 Like

right, as ratgirlagogo says, they’re originally Mexican, but Tex Mex uses them too.

1 Like

This is probably a topic worthy of splitting, but any Mexican food in the US is by definition a hyphenated cuisine. Genuine is pretty subjective, but not as limiting as authentic. Now Mexican in Mexico is a whole different ballgame, to use an American expression. ( no Zs involved)
:wink:

1 Like

I don’t do “authentic” but I do do “tasty” and “traditional” both of which more accurately reflect what I want to eat.

By the by, one of our well know TV chefs, Rick Stein, recently did a series called “Road to Mexico” with him travelling from San Francisco to Yucatan. A family member bought me the book that went with the series as a birthday present. In truth, there was nothing that I’ve been inspired to cook - I suppose it’s just a cuisine that’s not for me. I think it’s just the appearance of chilli in pretty much every dish that puts me off.

1 Like

That sounds interesting. I’ll have to see I can find it here.

I make it with onion, but have recently come to question it, especially if the size of the onion interferes with the slice of tortilla, and the mouthfeel. Isn’t that a word?

Husband doesn’t like the onion to interfere, but also doesn’t like "really juicy, runny eggs.”

1 Like

Definitely not traditional, in my experience. It should be firm enough that you can pick up a slice to eat, as perfect picnic food.

3 Likes

In our travels in Spain, we have had some juicier and runnier than husband likes. Which is not hard to achieve.

1 Like