Toronto restaurants, bakeries, pubs or other businesses that are closing, Nov 2022 onwards

Wish Restaurant is closing after 22 years.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClgosJ0LpYx/

Flaky Tart is closing.

1 Like

I think this was mentioned somewhere before, but Momofuku is closing shortly.

1 Like

To be replaced by Mott 32.

https://www.tastetoronto.com/news/mott-32-will-replace-momofuku-in-the-shangri-la

2 Likes

Nice thanks for sharing could be very interesting and save a trip to the suburbs for car less folks like moi :slight_smile:

1 Like

GoodGood ceased operations last week. They had locally sourced coffee, drinks, and snacks both in-store and via delivery.

Forget Me Not on Wilson has closed.

Technically not November, but Shunoko at St. Clair/Dufferin has closed. I never got a chance to try their omakase, but did enjoy their sushi set lunch for takeout a few times this year.

Dear guests

Shunoko will be permanently closed after our last service on October 22.

It has been tremendously blessing four and a half years of serving our guests.
Coming from a small takeout shop, running a full service restaurant for the was not easy. But all the love and support we received from our guests and every hardworking member of our team made us possible to stay in business.

​ Only God knows when and where I will open a new place to serve you again. Until then I pray you all safe and well.

Huge thanks and love

1 Like

La Paloma.

Thanks @Googs , for this heads up.
Le Cafe Michi. Another institution closes.

Although La Paloma was never my go-to, I am sad to hear that they closed apparently due to new owners raising rents. Surely property owners could both earn some money and support local businesses at the same time.

1 Like

I guess some landlords who bought recently have their own set of problems with the rising interest rates. It’s usually the tenants who pay for that, unfortunately.

Almost every restaurant and hair salon run by someone I know has gone out of business within months of a new landlord taking over, because new landlords like to raise rents, probably to cover their recent purchase. Half of the downtown commercial properties of London, Ontario and Windsor lie vacant because of a landlord who keeps buying up properties like he’s playing Monopoly. He has even been buying hotels, country inns, apple orchards and horse farms.

1 Like

The Lakeview will close Feb 28, 2023.

1 Like

Brock Sandwich will be closing June 24th.

1 Like

So sad!

1 Like

Home Appliance Food Co’s brick and mortar restaurant isn’t going to open due to a shitty landlord.
Very sad news :frowning:

1 Like

Lamesa (Filipino Food Club) near St. Clair and Vaughan is closing, after 11 years. Last service is Sun June 25.

It’s one of the first places we ate at when moving into the neighbourhood in 2019, and I enjoyed many takeout silogs over the last few, challenging years.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtcMwEoOi44/

2 Likes

The last Hungarian restaurant in the Annex is closing Aug 1st.

2 Likes

Oh no! This is the last vestige of the Hungarian part of the Annex. I started going to Country Style in the 80s. Will have to go. Maybe more than once.

1 Like
1 Like

Went for dinner at Country Style. Still cash only. But they take reservations! Food remains good to great, depending on the item. Service remains friendly and efficient.

Liver dumpling soup: parsley root-scented broth and supple liver dumplings.

Cabbage roll: a bit bland. Better versions exist at So Hungary, Budapest.

Chicken livers with nokedli (Hungarian spaetzle, called dumplings on the menu): simple and hearty food, nicely browned liver and onions.

Szekely goulash: a delicious stew of tender pork and sauerkraut, tangy and full of flavour. Also with nokedli (you can get potatoes or other starch).

And they were out of or stopped making our favourite desserts (e.g., plum dumplings). So we went with the reliable chestnut puree with whip cream.

We’re heading back for one more time a couple of weeks from now.

2 Likes

I might squeeze in one more visit. The waiter ticked me off when I tried to phone in a takeout order on my birthday.

I also want to try Black Tulip on St Clair W, after Country Style closes.