Top Chef Season 21

That’s what I heard too, and I thought…‘that doesn’t sound right’. I thought it was the lining on certain organs (not sure if stomach could be one of them). I looked online, and it said the same thing - it’s fat that lines the organs of some animals.

I always love these parts that show case Native American cuisine. I recall an earlier episode where they did something similar, and it’s disappointing that hasn’t sparked more efforts to get Native American cuisine out there. The food looked really good, and I would love to try it.

I recall an earlier episode where they did something similar, and it’s disappointing that hasn’t sparked more efforts to get Native American cuisine out there. The food looked really good, and I would love to try

It was the Thanksgiving episode in Tip Chef Boston and I always want to try Mei’s cabbage.

ETA I posted this link above where it reads

Didn’t someone make a well received cranberry borscht in a cranberry challenge during Top Chef Boston ?

For the record, my “wait…what??” was about the elimination.

My take on caul fat , and what I found after checking last night, is that is more of an outside covering, rather than an inside lining.

Here’s an article with an “in situ” picture on an animal . He calls it “the lacey lining of the gut cavity of a variety of animals.” I have seen my share , but in humans, where it is called an omentum. If I’m not mistaken, it is one of the locations of the dreaded “visceral fat”.

I would call chitterlings, tripe, and maybe maws intestinal linings. But perhaps a minor point to belabor by my fellow retirees.:grin:

P.S. Kristen continues to impress me! She named tribes like she does it every day.

Gotcha - yes, I recall pictures of caul fat that always showed it was on the outside of the organ.

Oddly enough, even from being in Boston, I don’t readily remember what happened during the Boston season (besides the episode of them in the summer time at Plimouth Plantation and trying to do a Thanksgiving meal). That should have been the clue on the cranberry dish. :sweat_smile:

Was that reaction about who, or how many? I was relieved about who didn’t get eliminated. I hope she finds her groove again.

Interesting to hear the next LCK is the final one – seems that might be a little ahead of where they’ve sent the second person back in the past.

It was about the how many. I didn’t want to give anything away.

Interesting to hear the next LCK is the final one

Ah! I haven’t watched it yet! I might want to stretch out the suspense!

That was an interesting LCK;

Could you tell how many chickens?

Well, ever since the entry of the winners of the first round of LCK, they’ve been teasing the possibility. Once Tom said that next LCK would be the finale, I figured that it would’ve had to have been next episode if not this week’s. The decision felt right, based on what we saw.

I’ve always loved watching that challenge when they’ve done it as a QF, so it was fun.

No, and I didn’t notice the sign on the chicken that said.

I thought that the advantaged and disadvantaged contestants got lucky, given what they were cooking/had to cook with.

1 Like

Ok, so it just hit me watching LCK. When did Amanda morph into Urkel?! The voice…just couldn’t un-see and un-hear it. She is a self proclaimed nerd, so I guess I should’ve seen it from the start.

I hope this episode doesn’t mean that challenge is done. It’s actually one of my favorite types of challenges on Top Chef. I want to see everyone go thru it. :smile:

2 Likes

Apparently it’s not Yorker, it’s “Daria”.

I didn’t really watch Daria as much, but yeah I can see that too. The nerdy side definitely is more Urkel-esque, and he spoke in a weird nasally tone too, which I notice she does sometime.

1 Like

Guess who else is behind the scenes, and was mentioned on “The Dish With Kish” this week; Jaime!

I found this picture on Reddit

Their titles appear to be"culinary producer".

1 Like

Yeah, she’s been at that role for a while (and has also been a culinary producer for other shows). Lee Anne Wong worked in that capacity at TC for a number of seasons, too.

1 Like

Yes! I remember LeeAnne doing that!

More pictures ; these are screenshots.

Interesting paths they have traveled.

Uh oh…Soo is missing his wife!

Does anyone else think a “fish boil” doesn’t look appetizing?
That looked like a pretty bad puncture wound! Worse than a “cut” sometimes.
I want to try that carrot slaw.
Curry powder instead of curry paste???
Also, I didn’t recognize Sarah!.

I haven’t been to a fish boil as an adult - but grew up in WI and to went many every summer as a kid. They were always fun, big events, and I ate it as a child. My parents always ate - but those of us from WI know that it’s hard to tell if they liked it for the food or the excuse for beer. :joy:

4 Likes

Yeah, count me as one of those. To be fair, I don’t love most of the crab boils, fish boils, and even clam and lobster bakes. They are more part of the fun of eating and getting messy with a group of friends, but they are not really the best way to cook the food. I also always end up with way more of the corn, the potatoes, or sausage pieces that I don’t like as much.

But that weird tradition of setting fire to the put afterwards…what was that all about?! :flushed: I know they said it helps to clean the pot, but that really looks like just a reason for adults to set things on fire.

2 Likes

I am not enjoying this season. I’m finding it boring. Fish boils? Messy food, or,whatever that was? I really like Michelle though.

1 Like

I’m glad Michelle found her mojo again in the elimination challenge this episode. I like her, too, and she was starting to worry me.

2 Likes

I seem to remember a previous episode with something similar, but I don’t recall having the same reaction that time.

Perhaps because I have lived for so long in California, but purposely setting something on fire, a sooty one at that, seems like a “huhhh?” to me. I haven’t yet found the history that might make sense of it.

ETA I can’t find a previous episode of Top Chef with the kerosene fire. I think it was “Man,fire, food” with Roger Mooking

Based on what I’ve read elsewhere, the theory is that the oils (and associated scum) from the fish rises to the top of the boiling water, as oil is wont to do, and throwing the kerosene on makes the pot boil over and instantly burns all the oil off. In her feature this week, though, Kristen said that none of them actually had their water hot enough to boil over, they all had it at a low simmer because they were so afraid of overcooking the fish.

1 Like