Top Chef Season 20

Thank you for the summary. I do still wonder what United Kitchen was doing while the judges rested and digested after visiting Root. If they were allowed to be together it seems to me they had an unfair advantage. But maybe I’m still missing something. I’m going to have to search out some more recaps.

Roots went first and got almost 2 hours to get food prepared and then served to judges. Then United Kitchen came in prepped and cooked for almost 2 hours and judges came back and ate again!

1 Like

I know what you mean, and was wondering the same. But I imagine this was in the minds of the producers and something must have been done to ensure fairness. I’d also like to know how.

1 Like

I imagine they did try to be fair. Even as @Annegrace described it, the time line still feels unfair to me.

Some recaps from last night. I haven’t found the Vince Mancini one yet.

Found it! I think. I subscribed, but I should probably financially support this writer.

2 Likes

Just watched the episode on the Eurostar going from London to Paris and really regretting we didn’t fit in any Indian food to our 3 day stay there. I immediately went to HO and read Vince M’s write up of the episode. Love his writing-so clever and so funny. I agree with his Bhudda ranking but who knows…

1 Like

I just realized they were filming Top Chef in London when I was there last September!

2 Likes

Wow! A double elimination. It’s not Vince Mancini yet, but…

1 Like

NYT Top Chef Vocabulary in context

Another recap popped up on my “currated” news list.

From Salon
“Top Chef: World All Stars” sputters with its Wellington battle heading toward the finish lineAn oddly timed double elimination and mismatched pairs results in another less-than-ideal episode

1 Like

I was VERY surprised by the outcome. Will there be a three-way LCK since it was a double elimination?

1 Like

Im going in! ( as they say when a cooking competition show host or judge goes to talk to a cheftestant while they are trying to cook.). I’m going to try to catch up on LCK this weekend.

Thanks for posting the Salon piece. I’m in agreement with it. A double elimination is really weird and unsatisfying at this point in the competition. I also feel as if the wrong team was eliminated. Sure there were errors (one significant one) but the innovation and the overall performance was there for them.

Also: It really did seem like Tom has a b*ner for one team and was not going to allow the other to go forward, even with all the other judges on their side.

ETA: It just occurred to me for the second time this week, I’m really pissed off with the judging and outcome, although admittedly am still far more upset about Eurovision.

1 Like

The line of the night for me was:

Sara (referring to Buddha’s prep): “Let me turn to the Wellington page in my book.”

4 Likes

I think the judging has been pretty sucky so far this entire season. Too many contestants kept longer than I think they should have been and others eliminated for what seems to be petty reasons relative to the competition. This could be the season that turns me off TC for a while.

Totally agree! Sara and Amar were more innovative

Agreed here too.

1 Like

I definitely thought Tom and Ali should have been eliminated even though I like Ali’s cooking. Tom’s skills have never impressed me though I do think he is easiest on the eyes of all the chefs, with Ali second.

Yeah, it was pretty funny, but maybe if Sara had prepped like Buddha she wouldn’t have been eliminated. Just sayin’.

There is no suspense. It feels like the Buddha show

She and Amar were booted for the undercooked lamb. In fact, had she gone with her gut and not relied on Amar, they would have likely stayed. Nothing about prep here.

Just sayin’.

2 Likes