Top Chef Season 20

The contestants are from the various Top Chef UK franchises. According to Wikipedia, there hasn’t been a ”Top Chef UK” so that explains why no Top Chef UK participants.

They do have one participant from Top Chef Brazil who lives in London.

3 Likes

I’m liking May too. Is that her hurdling over the counter in the opening montage?

Not sure about the montage. But her amuse bouche looked delicious. And I liked her confidence in making a dessert when everyone else was going savory.

1 Like

“Not sure about the montage”

Right here;

I guess it could be Buddha

Pub Crawl . Amar says “I guess Top Chef Middle East is kicking our asses right now”

1 Like

In spite of ourselves, came across the segment that immediately recalled in good fun:

2 Likes

I liked her but she takes too long to get her rhythm going

4 Likes

Double elimination.Ahhhh!

Spoilers!

A team challenge. Favorite quote of this episode; " The last time someone told me don’t worry, I lose my house!"

3 Likes

I haven’t watched the episode yet (of course), but am bummed by who went :cry:

3 Likes

I’m bummed about one of them. The other… not so much.

3 Likes

Yes, I didn’t want to be a “spoiler,” but my earlier posts probably reveal which elimination was the bummer.

Christina Izzo, who writes these recaps continues to be ridiculously American (in terms of solipsism and lack of awareness of the world beyond her borders). First was being confused by the MENA category in Ep 1 (if you write about TV, know what franchises and take a peek at how the global television industry can be partitioned at times, especially around language and cultural communities) but more egregious was this: " “What is this? Toad in the wall? Toil in the woil ?” questioned the fantastically French Victoire about the classic English dish “toad in the hole”"

Victoire is from Congo and lives in Italy. Being part of a former Belgian colony and francophone nation does not make one French.

I know this sounds fussy, but I feel like people who are publishing are just getting sloppier and weirdly, given the amount of information available, more ignorant.

3 Likes

I’m guessing there is minimal financial motivation. These recaps are getting harder and to find. ( I’m looking at you @LindaWhit ! Are you not even watching this year?

2 Likes

I noticed that as well (but was skeered to call out @LindaWhit :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Remember the good old days when the Bravo site had blogs from insiders, guest judges, Gail\Tom? And all the external recaps? And Linda’s 1000+ threads?

4 Likes

A double-tag. :smiley: I’ll be honest @shrinkrap and @gaffk , I’ve not watched a full season since TC-Kentucky in 2019. The next season, All-Stars L.A., intrigued me with the cast of chefs, because so many of my personal favorites were returning, and I think I watched the first couple of episodes in March 2020, but I dropped out of watching ANYTHING on TV due to the pandemic, even escapist reality cooking shows. The season opener was TWO DAYS after the world shut down (or at least it had done in my neck of the country), and I completely lost interest in everything back then. Let’s just say Verizon FiOS made a lot of money from me while I paid for various services and didn’t use them.

I had all good intentions of going back to watch the rest of A-S L.A. after it had completely aired in mid/late May, but I never did. I later did read something either here or on CH that Melissa King won, and when I looked at the Wikipedia page, I was pleased with the Top 5 of Melissa, Bryan Voltaggio, Stephanie Cmar, Kevin Gillespie, and Gregory Gourdet.

So I just fell out of watching it altogether.

But I do remember the Bravo blogs, and other recaps. TC-Boston (Season 12) was what killed it for me for recapping on CH. I ONLY did it because it was Boston…and I still grumbled through it. LOL

Somewhere, I saved my recaps from CH to Word docs, I think. I could possibly find them via the Wayback Machine, but it would take a LOT of time, and you usually can’t see all of the comments. THOSE (sometimes heated) discussions were often more fun to read than my recaps. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I always said your recaps (and the discussion that followed) were better than the show. I always read your recaps before I even watched the episode.

I 1/2 watched the first episode or two of Season 19. I intend to watch Season 20 in my own inimitable fashion: I saw the first two episodes last Saturday and will probably watch the third and LCK this weekend. Season 20 seems promising. And imagine my surprise when I realized all of Season 19 is on my DVR, so maybe some day . . .

3 Likes

OK, that’s a good point - I’m wondering if any TC seasons are on my DVR. I usually set it up to ensure ALL eps were saved (not just the most recent 5), but I might have deleted them entirely once I stopped watching.

1 Like

Apparently I’m way too lazy to delete (or to DVR much . . . another one just handing money to Verizon for no apparent reason).

2 Likes

It looks like Vince Mancini at uproxx is doing his review week by week. He usually makes me chuckle at least once.

2 Likes