Top Chef Season 17

This would be a good week to watch Last Chance Kitchen. Just sayin’.

Also What Would Tom Do

I’ve been meaning to watch both LCK and WWTD. Unfortunately, previews in one of the articles linked above told me who comes back from LCK. Let’s just say that I’m not happy.

3 Likes

I think the LCK episodes have been quite fun so far this season. This last one surprised me that it was a two-parter, but I’m satisfied with the outcome. It’s almost as fun, and maybe sometimes, even better than the full episode.

1 Like

Sorry. :confused:I thought I was being careful by not posting a link to LCK.

1 Like

Not on you. One of the links had a video that revealed it. And I watched it.

1 Like

Spoilers!
Spoiler alert …I don’t know what the right text to blur is.

1 Like

““One thing that’s keeping me sane is it reminds me of what day of the week it is. ‘Top Chef’ is on. It’s Thursday,” she says.”

It’s a Top Chef night.

2 Likes

I FINALLY watched. Love the idea of Stephanie’s lamb taco. And it sure as hell saved her ass later in the competition. But I would have enjoyed all 3 top tacos.

I LOVED the idea of each cheftestant creating their own concept of a restaurant for Restaurant Wars. I was hoping for Kevin’s “Country Captain” and Melissa’s “Sabrina” concept to be the choices. But Gregory’s “Kaan” Haitian concept will be a great contrast to Kevin’s Southern-with-spice homestyle concept.

VERY surprised at who was told to PYKAG.

OH! And I watched all LCKs last Friday and was WRONG about who came back into the competition! I am perfectly happy with who came back…I had thought it was Lisa Fernandes who returned.

2 Likes

Yay! It wasn’t spoiled!

1 Like

Did I hear one of the judges saying that Melissa has the makings of a Michelin chef - or something to that effect? It was said low and hard to make out, but I’m sure I heard the word Michelin. She really is an amazing chef. But I still want Kevin to win. I just really like him.

1 Like

I think he said her meals were Michelin-level meals.

BTW, Gregory’s sauteed plantains and caramelized onions sounded fabulous - Tom C. was raving over them. Do you think it’s as simple as sautéing the plantains/bananas with seasoning and then adding some already caramelized onions?

1 Like

I think it was something like Michelin “chops”. At first I took it to mean she was ready for a star, but then I thought it meant she had trained under Michelin star chefs.

1 Like

Could be. I’m also thinking those were close to ripe plantains, which I prefer to the ones that are often closer to green. I think the preference varies with the island.

I like them like this, but husband likes them green.

Also, I think dipping the plantains in a seasoned solution (salt water with garlic) adds flavor, although I think that works better with green, starchy plantains.

More from Gregory

1 Like

Here’s another recap;

" JUDGES’ TABLE** : After hearing concept pitches from all nine chefs and tasting dishes that represented each, the judges sang the praises of Melissa, **with Guest Judge Kevin Boehm declaring that “she’s got Michelin star chops”, ."

I’m glad Gregory was a winner, but I’m afraid for him as well. Executive chef is often doomed!

(I am supposedly taking a class on Zoom. )

2 Likes

What “they” don’t know won’t hurt “them”. :wink:

2 Likes

And in FoodSided recap, I just BROKE UP LAUGHING at this:

MALARKEY SMARM-O-METER : Just when we thought we were gonna hang a ‘Gone Fishin” sign on this category for the week, the king of me turned to a server just prior to his concept presentation and asked “Do I look alright?”, instantly earning an 8 on this week’s meter.

Yes, Malarkey, enough. Even the judges heard/saw that and Padma and Tom were laughing/rolling their eyes. :laughing: :roll_eyes:

I’m very glad that while the judges liked the D2 presentation, they didn’t choose Malarkey. He would have been insufferable. Or even more insufferable than he already is.

Previews showed that Country Captain was running aground in the kitchen in trying to get food out to the diners. THAT doesn’t bode well for Kevin. :frowning: Then again - could be those damn Editing Elves.

3 Likes

So I’ve watched it about 30 times now, and took pictures of Gregory’s plantain.

Also…

3 Likes

I sure hope we get a recipe from Gregory, or at least a good description from Gregory, for those plantains.

1 Like

I love plantains but don’t cook them myself, but those look so good that I really want to try to make those too. If you find a recipe somewhere, please keep us in mind!

EDIT to add: Dang, guess he’s based in Portland, OR so he’s not even remotely close to where I could try his food. Found a Dec 2019 EATER article that mentions he’s opening up his own restaurant. Also mentioned he had a cook book to be published in 2021. I would definitely get his cook book; I love the ingredients in his cuisine.

1 Like