Top Chef S13E12. . . . no post?

I haven’t watched yet but I just checked out the first 3 minutes to see who is back in. YAY!!! I just love this man’s smile so much :heart_eyes:

I was happy to see Amar go through, he seems genuinely likable and humble. For me, it was a no lose with one of he or Carl advancing to the final. I thought it was definitely going to be Carl as Tom’s cliffhanger comment on Last Chance Kitchen was “it all comes down to one thing…this challenge came down to those few grains of salt”. When we dined at Carl’s restaurant, during the meal we commented that every course was perfectly seasoned. I was wrong about the show, but It seems that Carl ensured that he perfected the element that tripped him up going forward. Too bad they both couldn’t be in the final, but I do hope Amar wins it all.

1 Like

I’ve been a fan of Jeremy’s since the beginning, although I had a few weeks of “WTF are you doing, Jeremy?” (Restaurant Wars decisions) but I think he’s been the strongest throughout.

However, as we well know, that means diddly-squat, as it always comes down to that last meal.

2 Likes

I’m a fan of Jeremy’s too and had the same WTF moments you did! I do like Amar, though so if Jeremy doesn’t get it I’ll still be ok. I hope they don’t do the final the way they did it the year Kristen won - knowing who won each coarse as it happened kind of spoiled the suspense.

Who was the guest judge besides David Copperfield? Was it Julian Serrano?

Don’t recall, and don’t know who that is.

Gail called him Julian but I can’t find mention of it. Thanks anyway!

Agreed, but if they gave him a show where he travels around the world sampling local cuisine and then shows you how to turn them into Gumbo, I’d watch. :slight_smile:

1 Like

me too

Well, I was happy with the outcome of the finale. I think either of them could have won. Loved seeing their mentors, Jean-Georges Vongerichten and Charlie Trotter, there as their sous chefs during the prep day.

And while I like seeing more of the cheftestants preparing the food, I also liked when we saw more at Judges Table.

I thought the dynamic with Charlie Trotter might have thrown Amar off a bit. It was interested that they never showed Amar apologizing or the two of them making peace. When they mentor were first introduced, there was footage of a same day off set interview with Jeremy and JG, but no such footage of Amar and Charlie. Charlie seemed very gracious about the whole thing, but there was some awkwardness there.

Both chefs seemed to do a great job with their menus. Overall an enjoyable finale and season.

1 Like

I also noticed that Charlie threw some shade at Amar in the kitchen during prep, saying something like “I’ve not been on the line in many years, but nothing should be beneath you.”

I’m sure it was the editing monkeys, but Amar’s reaction was “Did he really just say that out loud?”

I agree, there was definite awkwardness between them, whereas there’s genuine affection and respect between Jean-Georges and Jeremy.

Charlie Trotter is dead.

Yes, I think most of us are aware of that. This season was filmed in the late Spring/early Summer of 2015. Chef Trotter passed away in November 2015. Regardless, it was still great to see such an esteemed group of chefs on this finale, and I hope that Chef Trotter and Amar were able to fully put their issues aside after filming ended.

Oh my. Confusion abounds!

Brain fart. I meant Charile Palmer. RIP chef Trotter.

LOL. I was waiting…

and I think Linda is referring to Amar’s mentor who was Gerry Hayden. Trotter died in '13 and Palmer is still very much alive.

Oh geez. Yeah, I shouldn’t try and think and type a response when I’m feeling like crap. Brain cells are definitely not working this morning.

I had a good chuckle :smiley:

1 Like

And a friend just linked this to me - Top Chef, Season 14, will be in Charleston, South Carolina! It’s about TIME!