Tongs

It took me until college and watching my Chinese chem TA finish his lunch before office hours to figure out that was how it was supposed to work.

1 Like

Yes!! Same here, though not via a TA. :joy:

Well, Kimiko Barber wrote this in her book (The Chopsticks Diet)I think. ““In Japan, food is served in smaller portions and is designed to be eaten with chopsticks which slow you down, so you eat less.””

2 Likes

Well, you’re going to eat less with smaller potions, because there’s less to eat, so there’s that, regardless of the intake implements. It’s the going back for seconds that’s the problem then :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Chopsticks or not, if you slow down you will eat less (until no longer hungry as opposed to cramming it down until you’re feeling full). I was brought up by parents who felt the need to have me finish everything on my plate. Have no idea what they were thinking as I was overweight throughout childhood, adolescence, and much of my adult life.

Make food that is wonderful, savor it slowly, and you will eat less.

2 Likes

I have 4 sets of tongs and I still end up reaching for chopsticks when I cook most of the time. It’s just easier for most things, unless I have to pick up or flip something hefty or long that needs support. I have 2 of the stainless steel kind (short and long) and then two with a tip - one nylon (my least favorite) and one with silicon. The silicon one is much better than the nylon (admittedly quite old) and is good if you are working on a non-stick pan or some surface that you are concerned with scratching.

Plain old wooden/bamboo chopsticks are perfect for what I cook most of the time, and they even then go straight to eating when the food is done. I also have a pair of the super long true cooking chopsticks, but those are reserved for cooking anything with bubbly oil so you have a safe distance.

2 Likes