Tomato Season - the Master Thread

Tomato jam

3 Likes

The pièce de résistance.

1 Like

It did not suck.

1 Like

I am making freekeh-stuffed tomatoes tonight,still looking at recipes!

1 Like

Homegrown heirloom tomato, local freestone peach, feta, pistachios, black pepper, good EVOO and rice wine vinegar. The combo I crave.

9 Likes

I’ve been trying to master this Spicy Hyderabadi Tomato Chutney for years;

First try with this years tomatoes.

4 Likes

i’m so tired of these cherry tomatoes i didn’t want in the first place. i’m tempted to cut the whole plant down so i stop feeling pressured to deal with the harvest. i just don’t know what to do with these things.

i don’t eat pasta really, my attempt to slow-roast them was a fail (and the ones that survived weren’t that snackable anyway), there’s only so many i will eat raw in a day… gah.

4 Likes

Pickled?

1 Like

I do a roasted tomato “jam” that is basically: take a pint of cherry or grape tomatoes and cut them in half. Toss them in an 8"x8" pan with as much garlic as you think you want (whole cloves - I use at least 4), and a shallot or two (chopped). You may want to add a teaspoon of dried thyme or oregano (Or, leave these out and add chopped fresh herbs at the end). Sometimes I also add chopped, pitted olives or diced fennel bulb. Add a good glug or two of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Then roast for 30-40 minutes at 400F (stir a few times while cooking). You want most of the liquid to cook off. Then, mash the now caramelized garlic and stir through. Use for a variety of things - garnishing chicken, shrimp, or mild fish, bruschetta, add chiles (dried or fresh) of choice before the roasting and then use as salsa, make a layered dip of it with whipped ricotta. The possibilities are endless.

4 Likes

I’d just pull it out and throw it into the compost.

1 Like

What about roasted ratatouille? We make a batch at the end of every summer and freeze for use throughout the year. As she mentions in the headnote, the recipe is adaptable and you can lean heavier towards tomatoes if that’s what you have a lot of. We like it as a pizza topping with smoked cheese, over polenta, in a sandwich, with eggs, etc.

5 Likes

The roasted ratatouille recipe you posted caught my eye, because all those veggies are in my house right now. Thanks for the inspiration! Multipurpose recipe depending how much you roast the vegetables, yay.

Since I was planning to serve the roasted vegetables for dinner, I stopped roasting at about 1 hour so the dish would have more heft. I dotted the top with bits of fresh mozzarella to melt after turning off the oven. Reserved the balsamic vinegar for a garnish at the table, along with fresh basil leaves. Corn and cheddar biscuits for a side last night. Next time I make this, the side will be corn on the cob and a chunk of baguette.

Summer on a plate.

4 Likes

Great idea!

We alway throw tomatoes in our compost bin. It’s fun to see where they pop up later.

In the middle of nowhere

With the roses

6 Likes

I’ve had volunteers in the garden near where past tomatoes lived, but haven’t had any compost volunteers yet!!

1 Like

1504 varieties at a festival in Belgium

9 Likes

i want to try them all :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

The festival in question

2 Likes

Me, too!

I found a killer use for my slow-roasted cherry tomatoes (which have been living in the fridge since I made them): mixing with cooked, chilled leftover beans like Lima beans and green beans.

Something about the combination is really great.

3 Likes