Today is National Pancake Day -- How do you pancake?

I always thought National Pancake Day was on Shrove Tuesday, but when I found it was today, I asked Mrs. ricepad what kind of pancakes she wanted. Her response: “An omelette.”

2 Likes

Homemade buttermilk pancakes, sometimes blueberries added to the batter. Served with generous butter and maple syrup usually. Sometimes I’ll mix my seedless blackberry syrup with maple, which is delicious, or homemade huckleberry syrup. I’d love them for dinner tonight, but they send my glucose soaring. :cry: Yet, still enjoy occasionally. Love crepes too, in all ways - sweet, savory, filled or unfilled .

2 Likes

Nobody at the breakfast place we go to knew anything about it. Does the date change every year?. I need a heads up earlier next time!

Inasmuch as it’s not a “real” holiday, this is as good a resource as any: https://nationaltoday.com/national-pancake-day/

It looks like it was made up by IHOP.

Nostalgic pancakes of my youth : bisquick.

These days I make them extremely rarely, but enjoy an overnight sourdough recipe I found during the early days of the pandemic sourdough fever.

1 Like

Welsh cake

4 Likes

sometime in the early 1980’s, , , Consumer Reports did a bit on pancake mixes and-other-methods . . . their panel came to the conclusion:
140g flour, 25-50g granulated white sugar, baking powder, pinch of salt, one egg beaten into 270g milk
out did all the commercial mixes and ‘open&pour’ types, etc.

( . . . the amounts above are my ‘determinations’ - +/- on the milk, depends on the four, makes 6-8 pancakes depending on how thin you make the batter&hence the pancake itself . . .)

as for dressing them up - blueberries, banana slices, strawberry slices, pecans, walnuts, drained pineapple chunks, fresh peach slices . . . it’s a really long list…
probably missed a couple . . .

one of these days I’m going to split the batter, add melted chocolate to one half then ‘remix & swirl’ - gotta work, right?

me personally I do only butter & dark grade maple syrup. ymmv.

many pancake recipes call for a bit of oil - so subbing melted butter is not out of reason…

sub lots of butter, and lots more eggs - you get crepes!!
which I prefer to do with fine diced ripe strawberries, topped with whip cream and a sprig of peppermint.

• highly seasonal - attempting this with non-local out of season wooden strawberries not recommended. too much effort for such disappointment.

I figured that. Thanks.
Pi Day us coming up, St. Urhu’s Day, May the Fourth, too.

1 Like

Late edition to pancake day.

Snack food for the KU v. Texas game!

2 Likes