Tips when you're old and hungry

LOL. I’m a prof. First weeks (even in higher ed) stay crazy … trust me. Or despair! :joy:

4 Likes

Tomorrow a 4:30 md appt, and you know what time I may be seen. So planning stupid easy dinner. Small can of supposedly upscale Greek gigantic beans and 2 Polish sausages I’ve been trying to sell for some time. As I told dh, I hate having stuff in the freezer that I consider potential dinners that on an immediate basis are rejected. So tomorrow “it’s now or never”, if you can remember that ancient song.

5 Likes

a block of tofu covered in chili crisp, heating optional

3 Likes

I just remembered you are a teacher. :joy:

1 Like

Yes to both. I’d rather have pelmeni with butter, sour cream, white vinegar, butter, and a grind of black pepper, though. Dumplings are a nice quick lunch and easy kid-approved meal at our house.

I have a few kids I’ll cook for. It is exciting and stressful, but we have great kids. I go from age 4-19(21 was my oldest to have in school). Love ‘em a little more every year. But, they are a PITA now and then. I never have to remind them of that when I meet them as adults. They’re always the first to bring it up. Kid turned adult: “Sorry I was so bad, I bet you remember when I (fill in blank with stupid kid shit).” Me:" Sheeeit! You were one of the good ones. Now you’re kickin’ ass, just like we planned it, right?" Both: “LOL!”

5 Likes

It sounds as if you are one of those destined to teach, and teach well. Kudos!

Yes, I love pelmeni, and I want to try some frozen manti. Tons of Turkish stores and restaurants have been opening in Toronto lately. Haven’t had a chance to check them out!

And you’re a mom dealing with my favorite age group. Got any in middle school yet? Holy pss, that’s a ride. Love it, though.

In my 30th year doing it. Still chuggin’ along. The difference between education and any other job is, when you’re having a good day, any job, including teaching, can turn lousy. BUT, if you’re having a bad day, nobody, NOBODY can relieve that funk like a kid. Feeling like shit? go to a school. Want to feel like shit all the time? work at a jail. JK. Love both places.

4 Likes

Retired nine years, 4 grandies, one an 8th grader. I keep telling the parents, “think back when you were in 8th grade”! It worked for me, but I do realize there are different temptations out there.

4 Likes

I am retired (tired again?) and working with court involved kids. Last week an 11 yy.o. told me he had “AWOL’ed” the day before, as he was getting out of my car. I asked him what happened, and he said something like “crazy kid stuff”, offering “stuff kids do” when asked for more. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

They’re the same dipshtz we were, just with technology instead of tons of human contact, and drugs much tougher to detect than alcohol/pot/tobacco was. Still, drinking is way down compared to a few years ago. When I hear kids talk about alcohol, like it’s nothing, I’ll remind them it’s number 1 by far in health/societal impact.

But I’m old and hungry, so I love to make homemade chips and salsa for snackage when I get home late, or whatever.

Unless the weather is too hot, it makes a better result if while nuking a baking potato, you preheat your oven to 475F.
Nuke the spud to almost done, toss it into the oven (pan optional), shut off the heat, and come back in 15 minutes or so to a crisp-skinned potato. Ideally, the flesh abutting the skin will have gotten brown and extra-tasty, like well made home fries.

9 Likes

I’ve been doing essentially the same thing using the air fryer. Nuke 'til nearly done, rub with a little oil, stick in the air fryer for 6 or 7 minutes. No need to heat up my kitchen with the oven.

4 Likes

Everytime I watch one of those cook off shows, like chopped, and I see them trying to boil potatoes in 20 minutes, I wonder why the hell they don’t nuke. 7 minutes would save 15 in the end; and they wouldn’t be hard as hail.

4 Likes

Retrospek - It might be worth checking if there’s a Meals on Wheels program in your community. They’re often based out of senior centers or other community organizations, and usually provide a mid day meal at no or little cost to people who find themselves in situations like yours. If it’s difficult to get info locally, your county probably as an area office on aging that can help. There’ s also a program locator on their site:

Best wishes to you and your husband - Jane

9 Likes

It’s always a good idea to have a backup to Meals on Wheels, if possible. There used to be a 93-year-old woman living across the hallway from me in my apartment building, and on one occasion she was talking to someone in the lobby of the building when I happened to be there; she mentioned that MoW did not show up, so she had nothing to eat. I was making soup at the time, so I took her some; she was very grateful for that.

I was glad I made that connection as a few weeks later she knocked on my door, and when I opened I saw her standing there with blood streaming down her face; her TV fell on her. I was glad she felt comfortable knocking on my door. I called 911.

15 Likes

There is nothing better than receiving a warm nourishing meal when you are hungry.
That was very kind of you.

8 Likes

LMAO!!! The big J and I were just having this conversation.

As for old and hungry and (often) frickin tired, we have a freezer that we fill on the more energetic days with stocks, sauces, stews, breads and such. Freezer + microwave=happy tummies on $hi++y days and generally brings the mood up a bit.

5 Likes

I remember you living by this credo with your neighbor relatively recently. :heart:

2 Likes