Tips when you're old and hungry

I was also a girl scout well into high school! My troop was focused on backpacking and “primitive” camping. Looking back, I cannot freaking believe I used to camp outside in the middle of winter. And you best believe I didn’t own a shred of down or a single high-performance article of clothing or gear. Oy!

9 Likes

“Once a Girl Scout, always a Girl Scout!”

3 Likes

“Hobo Stew”, “Walking Salad” and of course, “Somemores” are pretty much what I remember from early Girl Scout cookouts. Later, there was the Dutch oven recipes (casseroles, cakes), the box oven recipes (toasty things and flatbread dishes) and the good old Bean Hole. Those were the days!

4 Likes

My parents were both involved in Scouts, my mother worked for Girl Scouts when I was living at home. We were a family of six kids, and all of our “vacations” were primitive camping in canvas tents with hand dug latrines - not easy once I started my periods and eventually just told my father I wasn’t going with them. Upper Peninsula of Michigan at the time. But the lessons I learned have served me well - I know I can survive. But I need now to prepare better for hard times because I have physical impairments and can’t do things I used to be able to do. Stairs are a big issue for me.

11 Likes

I know exactly how you feel. Sixteen years ago I got hit with an autoimmune disease that attacked my muscles, and I almost died, twice. Fortunately I got good drugs, but they only control, not cure, it. I can still manage stairs, but with great care and a handrail, which is an absolute must.

An occupational therapist told me that the best thing to do is to continue to do the things I enjoy doing, so the cooking and baking go on, but with great effort.

15 Likes

Earlier this year, we got a case of red and white cream of mushroom soup when spouse was in the hospital. Even though I’ve said many nasty things about that product in the past, I started binging on the soup, heated up with water (don’t like very creamy soups) and augmented with chopped canned mushrooms, a dollop of shio koji, and a healthy dash of pepper. Super easy quick dinner. On hiatus during the summer but as soon as the weather turns cool, I’ll be making it again for sure.

4 Likes

+1 I’m a nut nut, too. Sliced apples and peanut butter fork for me, as does cheese (cheese always works for me). Nice to have tuna/egg/ham salad laying around, too.

3 Likes

Some days we’re not at our best. Get in a pinch and you make something simple, but still god. I’m sure Sunshine can appreciate that.

I almost always have taco fixins ready to go. Heat up the meat, heat up the tortillas, add pepper sauce and pico, there ya go.

5 Likes

My kiddo is obsessed with tacos. I can convert nearly any meal into a taco. Excellent delivery vehicle. I’m thinking about getting a set of these holders: Chbuuero Taco Holders Set of 4, Taco Stand, Stainless Steel Taco Holder, Each Can Hold 3 Tortillas, with Easy-Access Handle, Fits Microwave, Air Fryer and Oven https://a.co/d/dE0EJy3

Sometimes when he is really grouchy he’ll demand, “I’m hungry! Give me tacos RIGHT NOW!” Yeah, we’re working on that. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

10 Likes

I remember this woman on Tasty 101 and her kid loved ANY tacos. His favorite was “SpaghettiO’s” in a hard taco shell. I don’t why this kid enjoyed them so much, but she could feed him quite quickly. Microwave a can of “SpaghettiO’s” spoon them into a hard taco shell and serve. I think she drained off some of the sauce (prior to microwave).
As a side note, I found this at Goodwill for $2.00, Sunshine loves when I put her tacos in this holder.

10 Likes

He needs to say the “magic word” aka please! :wink:
There’s a wonderful picture book called The Magic Word by Mac Barnett that I used to read to my younger students when we did a unit about manners. It’s a different magic word but very funny and a good beginning for talking about saying please and thank you.

3 Likes

I’m sure you’re aware of the children’s book, Dragon’s Love Tacos by Adam Rubin. Maybe the kiddo can assist in prep at this age?

1 Like

Three magic words for a third grader we know:

1 Like

One of my all time favorites. Don’t forget the sequel and watch out for the spicy salsa!

Funny. He’s pretty good about please, thank you, and excuse me at this age, but not when enraged LOL. Doesn’t take much the first week of school.

3 Likes

I know the feeling. Join the club!

1 Like

I feel you. I went back to work this week and have had cereal for dinner the last 2 nights. Toasted tomato sandwiches are big around here at this time of year. Sometimes hot cereal or eggs. I always keep these on hand at home and work. There are a variety of flavours but I always buy this one.

2 Likes

Don’t get me started.

1 Like

About high running emotions the first week of school? Kids lacking manners? Tacos?

2 Likes

I understand. Exciting, yet stressful. We all looked at back to school with different eyes.

1 Like