"Time to Eat" - more TV from Nadiya Hussein

Everyone’s favourite British baker gets another TV outing - this time doing “easy food”. Needless to say, you can expect lots of baking, along with other domestic recipes. Starts this week

One of our country’s rare positive role models for Muslim women. And, in spite of her Wikipedia entry, entirely a home cook and never a chef.

I have been seeing the teaser for her new programmed this week. The only time I watch telly is in the gym so hope I remember to watch this at home.

She’s very likeable. I’ve enjoyed watching her previous series.

I know she did some family cooking competition after the British Baking one. Are there others?

Yes. Here’s her Wiki entry.

Since winning Bake Off, she’s become a TV “natural” for the BBC. Very engaging on-screen personality, even if I find I’m rarely keen on her recipes (for varying reasons).

2 Likes

I remembered to watch this programme, with the partner’s help. We like watching cookery programmes (and everything) together.

BBC Food has 3 recipes from the first episode. In the first segment she goes to someone’s house and shows her how to make a few time-saving noodle soups in jars. The woman’s little boy loves his soup. The way he says “it’s so yummy” is adorable.

I like this one. So gonna make it.

Nadiya is engaging and convincing. She makes it look easy. She’ll have more series in the future, I hope. Nadiya is a success and seems very confident on screen. Considering she was bullied and has anxiety. I certainly could never be able do any of her work (being an accomplished home cook, bake-off winner, presenter, marriage and motherhood and so on.).

1 Like

I think the egg rolls are the only thing I’d consider making from that episode.

She recently did a documentary called something like “Anxiety & me”. Those sort of docs don’t appeal to me but they do to herself who has recorded it. I think it was a short series of docs with famous people talking about their mental health issues.

1 Like

Finally available on Netflix! I can relate to her reliance on convenience foods and high-impact, punchy flavors. Not sure all of it appeals to my sensibilities or palate, but she’s fun to watch - and cleverly creative.

1 Like

I just happened to notice that today! Hmmmm…probably not a coincidence.

I saw it on here.

“You’ve blown through every season of Chef’s Table . You know all the special guests who’ve appeared on Jon Favreau’s The Chef Show . You can’t wait entire weeks between new episodes of Top Chef. Now what? Grub Street has dug into the deep corners of the internet to round up some of the best, and lesser-known, food shows that you can watch right now…”

Oh wait…maybe not. I get a LOT of “curated” lists.

2 Likes

Nadiya’s show is now on Netflix.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s just the lighting, but she looks washed out/lightened in this photo compared to the video still below.

Huh. My phone capture likely.

Most men are not very detail-oriented :laughing:

But she does wear a lot of makeup.

And you thought you have heard it all…

I’m tuning in for her baking. I’m surprised by posts focused on her skin tone. :upside_down_face:

I enjoy watching her programmes. She made a new one just before last year’s lockdown.

I was wondering aloud more from the perspective of whether she had been whitewashed to appeal to a broader audience.

Yes I watched that show and a handful of Youtube video demos.

I believe her pro appeal is evident and I never would have even noticed your point if you hadn’t asked.

Skin tone photoshopping controversy is a thing; reference Kamala Harris’s Vanity Fair cover shot discussions.

2 Likes

Flew over my head. Noted. Colors produced in photos vs video can be very different.