"Time to Eat" - more TV from Nadiya Hussein

Photoshopping has been a thing since it’s creation. Used both beautifully and horribly. But this time really escaped me.

I’ve watched two episodes. She’s fun to watch.

Yes, all true what you noted! I’ll have to tune in to watch her cook, she sounds talented and fun to watch. I hadn’t heard of her before now.

And Jamie Harrison.

1 Like

To be clear, I’m a big fan. It just seemed odd that her skin in the pro photo looked lightened compared to the video still.

I’ve enjoyed getting familiar with her show. I believe @Harters was the HO member that enlightened me about her recipes.

How is it different from Sandra Lee and Semi-Homemade?

I’m sure you’re right. She is very proud of her Bangladeshi heritage, often mentioning that and her religion in shows. She has no reason to “whiten up” for a British audience.

The video is uploaded and then posted via a YouTube link. The photo is a cellphone capture I pasted into the comment box. I don’t believe either was altered except possibly by the way in which my two posts uploaded to this forum.

The recipes from the new Netflix show.

1 Like

I’ve watched the first three episodes and enjoyed them. I want to try her teriyaki chicken and noodle bake - not much if a sweets baker.

Not to go on about the colors, but I find the super-saturated photography in the show a bit distracting - like Instagram live.

I’ve made quite a few of her savory recipes. Her egg mushroom wrap is a favorite. In this season of baking she prepares a frozen vegan cheesecake with an interesting filling. I know my wife will hint I make it. Episode 2.

As for the visuals, @ChristinaM she wears very vibrant colors and the kitchen is equally colorful. When I watch the show, I notice the rich pigments of color maybe it’s to much against her beautiful skin tone? Not sure what you are seeing but I see vibrancy.

Episode 3 were four savory bakes. Learned I can bake dried rice noodles in the oven, what?!! Better than waiting for water to boil. Each episodes also features a baker Nadiya admires baking in their pro kitchen. During this episode beet sourdough bread was demonstrated.

I see hypersaturated colors in the extreme. Nothing to do with skin tone this time :laughing:

Another way to describe it is overcolorized. It looks very unnatural to me. https://digital-photography-school.com/are-you-guilty-of-these-5-over-processing-sins/

Maybe check your tv/viewing settings? :upside_down_face:

:thinking:um…

It’s less Semi-Homemadey, but it definitely reminds me of that show. Many of the recipes don’t appeal to me, but there are a few that are from scratch. Some of the ideas I wouldn’t have thought of myself, and I can just adapt those recipes to be fully homemade. However, you need food knowledge to follow some of the recipes properly. For example, if you’re using ice cream as a shortcut custard base for bread pudding, you need an ice cream with eggs as an ingredient. Maybe ice cream in the UK is always custard base, but that’s not true in the United States.

1 Like

BBC iPlayer isn’t available outside the UK but some shows are available on YouTube.

I watched a couple. Not really impressed. Adding sugar to rice really put me off. The few Time to Eat seemed a lot like Semi Homemade with Sandra Lee trying to appropriate Gordon Ramsey’s verbal ticks.

1 Like

On the other hand, BBC America isnt available in the UK. That’s presumably due to the commercial ownership, whereas BBC TV and radio services in the UK are, in essence, government owned and paid for through taxation.

BBC doesn’t cite taxation fairness as the reason for not making BBC UK available outside the UK. They say digital rights management (DRM). It doesn’t matter - it is what it is and not a windmill I with which I have any interest in jousting.

While BBC America is in my opinion at the top of the heap for objective news reporting in the US by comparison to BBC in the UK it isn’t anything special. I don’t think you’re missing much.

I paid my TV tax when I lived in the UK.