Tillamook 2011 (10-year aged cheddar)

I’m on the So. Oregon coast. I always have Tillamook cheese, also my preferred ice cream and sour cream. I find the sour cream has a tang I find missing in other sour creams. I have visited their creamery too.

4 Likes

That was actually my first experience with truly aged Cheddar. We were at the Tillamook creamery decades ago and they had a 5-year cheddar available, and it was a revelation.

3 Likes

Have you tried their frozen custard? My husband always buys their icecream. I was happy when they changed the half gallon to 48oz. That make it more expensive now since they kept the price the same but it fits in my freezer better. I tried the frozen custard for the first time last week. Very tasty. I tried the maple/candied pecan. It is a bit on the sweet side but great flavor.

I like their sour cream too and of course their cheese.

3 Likes

I tried it when it first came out, I think salted caramel. I was disappointed , I thought it would be more eggy, like I remebered from my childhood.

1 Like

No it is not as eggy as some custards like my homemade.

Agree with all of the love for Tillamook Cheeses! The medium cheddar was/is our all-purpose house cheddar. Think I bought Kraft singles only once or twice when DD’s were growing up. They felt deprived! But that was then. Do love their special aged reserves and others, couldn’t live without the pepperjack either. Costco in my hood frequently has some of their cheeses not always found in local stores, and for a great price.

To my taste, the Tillamook ice cream has too much butterfat, or is overly whipped. Too creamy of a mouth feel, if there can be such a thing. The yogurt isn’t tangy enough - just personal preference here.

Missed visiting their operation while on Oregon coast last time, but will catch it on another trip.

Glad the subject of Cougar Gold Cheese came up - my mind went there immediately when the subject of good cheddars came up. It’s a great thing to gift people. Again, our Costco’s in my area frequently have it around the fall and winter holidays. I also sometimes order from their website; do be aware they usually sell out early. The website also has a lot of recipes, and be advised, they’ve got several different varieties/flavors of cheese, though I always stick with the flagship.

In case anyone interested, here is a link: https://creamery.wsu.edu/cougar-cheese/

Wanted to mention the excellent Beecher cheeses, well known in the PNW, and easily found locally, and often at Costco too. Several different varieties, all good.

4 Likes

Flagship Beechers cheese is now a regular at Trader Joe’s. However, I think on the East Coast it’s manufactured in the New York plant, if that matters.

1 Like

Good to know @bmorecupcake.

This conversation is giving me cravings.

1 Like

Beechers Flagship I find to be meh. Once got signed up for a cheese of the month (or 2 month) club and while it was touted as offering an assortment, literally 1/2 the weight of the entire package was Flagship, each time. So that may’ve turned me off too.

Now here is a possibly heretical comment. Costco sells a cheddar called “Coastal.” It is aged, with crystals, and tastes pretty good at a good price point. I think it is around $7/lb or so. We use it pretty much exclusively chez nous. I wonder if anyone has tried that AND the Tillamook aged and has opinions? We’ve tried the Tillamook sharp non aged, and I didn’t find it to be special.

1 Like

I like Tillamook’s insistence on “good” farming practices and they don’t allow the use of artificial growth hormones.

Assuming that’s the British product produced by Ford Farm, it’s aged for 15 months. Quite a bit longer than their Wookey Hole Cheddar (which holds a PDO as a “West Country Farmhouse Cheddar”) which is only aged for 3 months. FWIW, Montgomery Cheddar, another PDO cheese often mentioned as the UK’s best Cheddar is aged 18 months - it’s my favourite Cheddar, although I quite like Keen’s.

2 Likes

That stuff (Ford Farms Coastal cheddar) is good, I get it wholesale from one of my chocolate suppliers. In theory it is for sale to anyone who comes to my retail window, in practice I eat most of it :joy:

3 Likes

That’s exactly the one. I matched up my packaging with Ford Farm’s website. It’s a tasty cheese.

2 Likes

You might be interested in this…

3 Likes

What do you think of Quicke’s cheeses if you’ve had any of them? A couple have been available here-- a clothbound cheddar and another called Devonshire Red. I liked them but wouldn’t put them at the very top of my ranking of what’s in the stores here. I don’t have a lot of English cheddars available, and some are just branded Murray’s so I don’t know the actual source of them. Also have Collier’s Welsh cheddar. And Murray’s branded Irish cheddar (and several varieties of KerryGold.)

Uh boy… really not surprised. Thanks.

2 Likes

Quicke’s Cheddar is the one you can most easily get in supermarkets here. It’s certainly much better than most of the supermarket Cheddars. That said, I generally prefer other regional cheeses to Cheddar. In normal times, when we can get to farmers markets, we would usually have a farmhouse Cheshire or a Lancashire in the fridge. Currently, from our last online order, we’re enjoying Appleby’s Cheshire, Winslade, Duckett’s Caerphilly and Gubbeen (the latter is a semi-soft cheese from Ireland)

1 Like

https://www.dairybusiness.com/rogue-creamery-introduces-cheese-is-love-cheddar-to-give-back-to-a-community-in-need/

Cheddar for a cause

2 Likes

If it’s as good as their blues… We love their blues.

1 Like