Thrifting 2024

I found this weird copper pan at GW.
Found a similar one on Etsy that identifies it as from India.
They wanted $90!
I paid $6, but I have no idea what it’s use is as it isn’t lined, just hammered.
Any ideas?
Whoever had it put rubber feet on it to display, I suppose.

3 Likes

For six bucks, I would have bought it, too, even if I had no idea what I was going to do with it. That looks great!

2 Likes

If it has rubber feet and it from India it’s a decorative or serving tray, not a cooking / baking pan

2 Likes

I think the rubber thingies are what you’d see on the back of picture frames so they don’t rub the wall, so added later.
It is pretty to look at.
:slight_smile:

Curious if it’s water tight, given Saregama’s info that it’s more for decorative use and/or serving.

Still it’s very pretty, and I’d have probably bid you up to $12 or more. :slight_smile:

Like a aheet cake pan but made
(fairly) crudely on a brake press.
So yes, watertight I suppose.
:slight_smile:

I think it’s intended for display. Faux French/Punjabi chic?

Will a normal 9x13 fit inside? If so, you could use it as a carry/cozy piece.

1 Like

I took a round trip 19km/11.8mi walk to a thrift store run by an charity organization for the disabled here in Tokushima. I wasn’t looking to buy anything (and didn’t) but saw some things which I thought would interest Hungry Onion friends.

Multiple sizes of Corningware “cornflower” or “spice of life” pyroceram saucepans and casserole dishes…no matter the size, they were all ¥1680/USD $11.25 each. Corningware is rare in Japan…these were only the second ones I’ve seen in approximately 20 years on and off of living in Japan since 1984.

Multiple “heart-shaped” and one “apple-shaped” Le Creuset “cocottes” and ramekins, ranging in price from ¥500/USD $3.35 to ¥1580/$10.58 (the lone apple-shaped one).

I’m currently not looking to set up house again, but if I were, I’d buy some of the Corningware for sure!

Thrift shops (known in Japanese as “recycle shops”) were practically non-existent when I lived in Japan from 1984 to 1987 as it was during the “bubble years” and the economy was booming. After the “bubble” burst, people stopped looking down on used things (which is the topic of another thread) and thankfully finally realized that thrifting can be good (vintage fashion and used books have been more well accepted for much longer.)

5 Likes