Thinking about an air fryer - what kind?

How is the Breville air fryer function? I’m thinking of upgrading. One less appliance on my counter!

Here are some Spanakopita from last night. Perfectly done in my Chefman.

10 Likes

Here’s a use of a circulator that I use frequently. Thawing frozen items.

I have a double sink so mount the circulator on the divider. Fill sink with cold water and run the circulator with no heat. You can thaw in less than half the time it would take without circulation

3 Likes

We just got this. It was high time to replace our weakling, tiny microwave, and we’ve been wanting an air fryer. Excited to use it.

3 Likes

Still haven’t tried it yet :clown_face:. Thought I think I will try to air-fry some wings next weekend for the superbowl so stay tuned…

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Speaking of air fryers-

My friend has one of these and loves it. I was in the dark, having never heard of this variation.
She says there’s even a FB group dedicated to them.

1 Like

Outstanding idea- thanks

Ooh. Since the last time this came up, I upgraded to an InstantPot brand 10-in-1 air fryer.

We use it at least once a day…it makes lovely toast, air fries like a champ, and The Chef roasts, browns and finishes all sorts of lovely things in it.

I bake in it all the time as it’s big enough to hold ab 8 x 8 pan

2 Likes

I got an air fryer about a week ago. I haven’t cooked much in it yet, other than about ten kinds of fries and a couple of kinds of onion rings. It is so much better for those than the oven. Cooked some Tyson blackened chicken strips in it today, also better than the oven. Yesterday, I used it for a grilled cheese sandwich. I did that mainly out of curiosity. It turned out fine, but I think a pan on the stovetop will remain my method of choice for that.

Here’s mine. Adult son loves it, while I’ve gone quite mad trying to keep it sort of pristine. Can something be “sort of” pristine?

My wall oven, OTOH, is an abomination (it’s messy and I don’t seem to care).

The Breville heats up really fast, doesn’t need pre-heat for broiling, and broils great without overcooking.

We haven’t quite ditched the toaster.

1 Like

I have that too, and you are right about it. Heats up fast, etc. But, when I did wings in it the drips were awful and there is no “catch” drip tray like in the cuisines. I say what I made wings, past tense, it’s because I have never done it again😃

1 Like

Love this thread.
Just received a ninja air fryer yesterday, opened but still unused. Looking forward to comments and tips.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Bang Bang Cauliflower or shrimp is really easy in an air fryer.

2 Likes

I’m an air fryer newbie myself. Generally speaking, I’ve found frozen fries that have some starch additives for crisping (but not too much of it) and an adequate amount of oil in them turn out better than those that don’t have that. These are the fries I’ve liked best so far, cooked straight from the bag with no additonal oil added.

Grown in Idaho Hand Cut Fries
Kroger Extra Crispy Crinkle Cut Fries
Ore-Ida Extra Crispy Fast Food Fries
Ore-Ida Extra Crispy Crinkles
Alexia Yukon Select Fries
Checkers/Rally’s Famous Seasoned Fries

Fries cook somewhat faster in the air fryer than oven.

Frozen onion rings I’ve liked best are Nathan’s Thick Sliced Battered Onion Rings and Alexia Onion Rings. Those cook much faster in the air fryer than oven.

I’ve had six more fries I’ve tried in the air fryer that I thought were okay (but I wouldn’t buy them again) and one that I did not like. I’ve had two more onion rings that I did not like at all.

2 Likes

We tried Nathan’s O RIngs for the first time 2 weeks ago in our old but functional Oster toaster oven-- definitely :+1: :+1: :+1: three thumbs up! Wife wants to try Alexia’s. Wanted to do Nathan’s Fries too but supermarket (Hannaford) was out & substituted their store brand-- which were fine. If I had to guess I’d say they were made by McCain’s.

1 Like

I made some fried chicken in mine with a method I use in a regular oven which involves putting 2-3 T of oil in the bottom of a pan, what a mess! I’m not sure how to clean the thing. They don’t seem to want you to use much other than very mild cleanser. I especially don’t know how I’ll clean the heating elements. It smoked for a while until all the grease burned off. It is working fine but eventually it will probably get gummed up beyond help. This is probably why these units tend to fail on people after a year or two. I don’t know if dedicated air fryers clean up better. The Breville not being a true air fryer in most people’s idea of a air fryer. I still like it.

I can only imagine what a mess it makes if you only use the screen without a pan like I used.

1 Like

Brussel sprouts.

1 Like

I use an olive oil spray. Pam would work as well.
A light veneer of oil gives the fried food taste we crave without the mess you encountered.

1 Like