Things you like to use a microwave to do

I like to freshen up a day old baguette with 10 to 20 seconds, to defrost things like frozen tubs of broth and bags of Hatch chiles, and to make microwave burritos (keep tortillas, cheese, crema, salsa, and frijoles on hand. Use a spreader to spread a thick layer of frijoles on the tortilla, top with cheese, crema, and salsa. Use the lid on the frijoles can to refrigerate any unused portion. Fold. Microwave until hot. I like two minutes, better too hot than too cool. I can always poke holes in it and eat around the edges until the middle cools. When our granddaughter was on a bottle, it was also good for heating the formula. Other than those items, it just does not get much use these days. You?

2 Likes

One thing I do really like about the microwave is the control and timing. I can reheat my broth and soup at a given power setting for say 2 min. I don’t need to stay there and watch.

2 Likes

Softening Butter
Reheating Soups and Stews
Reheating Steel Cut Oatmeal
Softening Tamarind Paste with Water
Papads
Bánh Tráng Mè (Tapioca Sesame Cracker)
Defrosting (but not uncooked Meats)

3 Likes

Reheating, mostly, and cooking a couple of portions of pasta in my Fasta Pasta. And steam-nuking an ear of corn on the cob. I looked on my bookshelf - I actually have microwave cookbooks from the 70s. Can’t remember actually ever using one.

4 Likes

I love microwaving corn with husk on for 2.5-3 minutes. WAIT a few minutes before peeling, HOT, but silk etc is so easy to remove.

I wanted to learn how to stir fry chow fun, read a bunch of recipes. The one I followed said not to refrigerate when you get it home (was fresh but unrefrigerated in the Chinese store) then just before using, microwave for 33 seconds, separate some … repeat once or twice more. Seemed like a much better idea than blanching - it worked!

5 Likes

Sad to say, but it has been several years since I had steamed or boiled corn on the cob. My “cheating” street corn has been the go to method. Make a slurry of mayonnaise, Sriracha, and lime and cover the ear. Grill until slightly charred.

3 Likes

Sunset Magazine had a few microwave cookbooks - perhaps you should nominate one in the Cookbook of the Month thread, see if we can all give it a go and learn some new tips! (also light recipes and main dishes only)

This was a learning experience for me - Your Microwave’s Most Underrated Button from America’s Test Kitchen

8 Likes

Corn on the cob in the husk 2 minutes per ear before dinner is ready, and then 1 minute per ear to finish it when dinner is ready. I don’t wait to remove the husk, but I do have experience with crispy fingers.

Asparagus, 4 minutes to start for a bunch that I have standing up in a carafe with water. Then I check it and add a minute or more if needed.

Softening cut potatoes and brusssel sprouts before broiling.

3 Likes

For non-food items (at least not ones you’re going to eat directly)

Tempering chocolate

Clean kitchen sponge

Heating plates (when used for serving pasta)

Testing whether a “microwave safe” container is actually microwave safe

Peeling garlic (or at least making it easier to peel)

3 Likes

I’ll check. My favorite “old” cookbook is Peg Bracken’s I Hate to Cook Book. For the attitude.

5 Likes

Same here! It husks quite easily then, if you have asbestos fingers.

1 Like

Melt/brown butter
Soften butter
Melt chocolate
Reheat leftovers
Steam bao buns or siu mai from frozen
Reheat coffee
Par cook any hard veg before roasting or broiling
Make egg patties for breakfast sandwiches
Refresh stale baked goods
Warm refried beans, sliced meat, leftover veggies or other burrito/grilled cheese/omelet filling before cooking stovetop
Steam tofu and edamame
Soften crystalized honey
Warm hot fudge or caramel topping
Par cook chopped onions, garlic, mushrooms, etc for quiche
Par cook veg for pot pie
Steam corn on the cob

But I will never make broccoli in it again!

8 Likes

Steaming potatoes. I have a Corningware ceramic baker with microwave safe snap–on lid. I drilled a hole in the lid. Quartered potatoes tossed in olive oil and seasoned with s&p. Put in the dish with a tablespoon of stock or water. Close the lid. Nuke 6-8 minutes, depending on the size of the spuds. I usually make a big batch, so there is extra, as these are good as is, and really good crisped up in some duck fat from leftover.

5 Likes

Reheating leftovers
Heating milk for coffee
Melting a small quantity of white chocolate when using for decorating a cake (a water bath is used for larger amounts of chocolate).

Cotc in the husk 2 minutes. If I have the grill going I’ll do 1 minute, husk and char on the grill.
Melt butter.
Heat water for tea and coffee.
I sometimes nuke potatoes and then finishing roasting in the oven. Same with scallop/au gratin potatoes.
I usually have soups, broth, sauces and gravies in the freeze that I thaw in the microwave.
Leftovers if applicable and I have forgotten to take out earlier to thaw.
Cook cauliflower.
@ChristinaM reminded I also warm hot fudge and caramel sauces.
I can warm thick slabs or thin slices of rib eye and keep them pink.

2 Likes

You can husk it pre-MWing, or use a paper towel to remove it after - if you prefer to leave it on.

I wrap the corn in a damp paper towel if the husk is too puny.

In addition to what everyone else has said here. I wouldn’t want to do without a microwave. It’s part of our life.

1 Like

My microwave has a “potato” button! I load cut up potatoes that I’ve tossed with butter or oil and s/p/herbs and/or spices into a covered Pyrex dish and put it on the microwave turntable. Close the door and then press “potato”. Magically, no matter how much or little is in the bowl, the potato cooks to a perfect tenderness. If I need them crisped after, I put them in a skillet and take care of it there (or a 450F oven for 5-10 minutes).

6 Likes